What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

yy_cheng

Coach
From a website called “Serious about Rugby League”

Six contenders to be Australia captain at the 2021 World Cup

Here are six possible candidates to take on the job.

blah blah blah

Clint Gutherson – Captain of the Parramatta Eels

Clint Gutherson is affectionately known as ‘King Gutho’ by the ‘Parradise’ (fans of the Eels) and it is clear to see why. The start of the season was a slow burner for him, but when Mitchell Moses suffered an injury meaning he was out for a number of weeks, Gutherson stepped up to the mark and gave a better performance for the Eels for the rest of the season than Moses did. In fact, when Moses came back on the field, the Eels started to lose ground. (Hopefully that problem has been addressed by coach Brad Arthur for this season). Gutherson was the lynchpin in the success of the Eels last season and will continue to be so in the upcoming one. He is always one to lead by example, often making the break and pass to whoever is Parramatta’s resulting try scorer. As Australian captain, Gutherson would unquestionably be a success, which begs the question why he wasn’t made skipper of the Blues in the 2020 Origin after Cordner? Another question for another time maybe.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/six-contenders-to-be-australia-captain-at-the-world-cup-2021-37340/
Doubt gutho will make the Aussie team though

I wonder if we'll eventually go the way of the cowboys' 2015 attacking strategy with our 1,6,7? Have the main playmaker as first receiver and split the field with the fullback and other half. I'm not sure if we have the halves to do it, maybe once he gains more experience Dylan could be that main playmaker?
thats what Penrith do Cleary plays as a middle half, could be why he cant adapt to playing a side of the field in Origin

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I wonder if we'll eventually go the way of the cowboys' 2015 attacking strategy with our 1,6,7? Have the main playmaker as first receiver and split the field with the fullback and other half. I'm not sure if we have the halves to do it, maybe once he gains more experience Dylan could be that main playmaker?
I feel like Arthur's has tried it with our current lot. Last year Gutherson spent most of his time on the left outside Drown, with Moses on the right. There just didn't seem to be much interplay between Drown and Moses on that right side, though there was a fair bit in the Penrith trial. I'm very excited to see how the Drown/Moses switch plays out.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He lead the NRL in kick return metres last year. Most of his passes to put Sivo over tended to be from set plays rather than having vision to create the line break. If he’s expected to be the playmaker it also negates his biggest strength which is his running from dummy half.

Those set plays aren’t easy to pull off. Additionally those Gutho set plays only happen because gutho is good at counting opposition numbers (that is what the fullback does, don’t think the fullback gets the ball on a quick, set play for the sake of it, it’s because he sees someone out of position or numbers short and calls for it.)

Additionally he runs from dummy half as he is in the middle (plus helps a rookie hooker Mahoney) and probably could do less as it does stop some attacking opportunities at times. Not sure it’s a strength of Gutho’s running from dummy half, think any back could do it, it’s just that it’s easier for a fullback to roam and get into dummy half

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He lead the NRL in kick return metres last year. Most of his passes to put Sivo over tended to be from set plays rather than having vision to create the line break. If he’s expected to be the playmaker it also negates his biggest strength which is his running from dummy half.
I think he runs too much from dummy half, when the ball could be going to Drown or Moses. Then we might see more line breaks instead of another 10m run from the stats padder. The same reason he led the league in kick return metres - because he was also first in kick returns.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Didn’t we get a preview of Gutho playing out of position in Origin? And it wasn’t great

He did his job in game 1, create space for Addo-Carr. Overall I don't think NSW used their centres properly, both are playmakers but they were used as crash runners. Seemed odd they didn't give Gutho more ball, he was up against a second-rower defending at centre. He was also far better defensively than Wighton who is a regular front-line defender

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I think he runs too much from dummy half, when the ball could be going to Drown or Moses. Then we might see more line breaks instead of another 10m run from the stats padder. The same reason he led the league in kick return metres - because he was also first in kick returns.

The problem with his dummy half running is that you know what's going to happen. When he jumps into dummy half the other spine players need to back him up and he needs to play a bit more "eyes up". There's been a few times where he's gotten line breaks in behind the ruck though.

strider

Post Whore
IMO

Gutho is a fullback ... he is a great support player, has vision, chimes into the backline on either side. Not a good kicker but can if necessary. ... while he could play half i dont think its his position. He doesnt have a strong kicking game, he is better chiming in out wider.

Drown is a half ... just needs more time ... dunno if he will be a great half - too early to say

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I feel like Arthur's has tried it with our current lot. Last year Gutherson spent most of his time on the left outside Drown, with Moses on the right. There just didn't seem to be much interplay between Drown and Moses on that right side, though there was a fair bit in the Penrith trial. I'm very excited to see how the Drown/Moses switch plays out.
It is reasonably exciting.

Cloeel

Juniors
no no no....

do you think a 16 year old would leave his family and country, to play footy if he didn’t care?

do you think a 18 year old wouId be physically ready for the NRL if they didn’t care and put effort into his training ?

do you think a 18 year wouId push himself so hard to beat Gutho he passes out and needs medical care, if he didn’t care?

do you think a 19 year wouId rehab 24/7 for several months to fix a serious back injury, if he didn’t care ?

do you think a 20 year wouId rehab 24/7 his ankle to return ahead of schedule for a finals match if he didn’t care?

just because he is fairly chilled / relaxed and shows some personality, doesn’t mean he doesn’t care.....

I agree.

Maybe I was not clear enough... I am speaking from the perspective of beyond the 80 minutes of footy every week.

Yes he turns up on game day and plays his guts out with a physical toughness that is impressive. My concern lies in whether he is further developing his footy IQ and self development areas - which is what separates the top 5% of past and present players to the rest.

Time will tell.

84 Baby

Referee
I agree.

Maybe I was not clear enough... I am speaking from the perspective of beyond the 80 minutes of footy every week.

Yes he turns up on game day and plays his guts out with a physical toughness that is impressive. My concern lies in whether he is further developing his footy IQ and self development areas - which is what separates the top 5% of past and present players to the rest.

Time will tell.
This is why I have a lot of time for Rheed. Seems to have a smart head on shoulders. He may not be naturally the greatest but has the attitude to better himself holistically

Happy MEel

First Grade
Can you offer free cheeseburgers to the crowd every time Waqa Blake or Shaun Lane do something stupid? It will cost you a lot of money but imagine the happiness you will bring to sad, angry fans. Great publicity
No, we made the financial decision to only offer burgers when BA talks to someone, Waqa makes a tackle or Sivo takes a decent hit up.

Latest posts