What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Plan with Anthony Seibold

Yosh

Coach

Anyone watch 'The Game Plan'? This Seibold lad seems to know what he is talking about. Breaks down attacking plays really well. So the million dollar question is, why does our attack look so one dimensional?

Jono078

Referee
We have all our eggs in one basket, by that I mean we need everyone available and fit to look like a top 8 side.

Green hasn't been great since returning but he was never meant to be our 7. He looked so good last year as our 6 and the link guy between Pearce and Ponga.

Despite being shitting about us since last night, I still think we'll look alright with our best squad. But we're already seeing signs of damage that may be hard to repair.

Out of all things, it's the bloody Sea Eagles this season that's still keeping me hopeful.

Yosh

Coach

Surely he is taking th piss this week. Basically the whole NRL media has been talking about how bad we are at the 1%ers and thats what one of our coaches talks about on his segment.

Surely the seniors players must turn up this week.

Burwood

Bench
The team have pretty much had their manhood questioned by media the last week, and rightly so. If they can’t respond and put in a dominant performance over 80 minutes against Canberra, that would be enough for me to write off the season.

Old dog

Juniors
One of these teams will be coping it come Sun/Mon as both have had bad/tough publicity so with one winner the loser will be hung out to dry

Jono078

Referee
The team have pretty much had their manhood questioned by media the last week, and rightly so. If they can’t respond and put in a dominant performance over 80 minutes against Canberra, that would be enough for me to write off the season.
This is where I'm starting to be concerned.. I don't think it's the players not being capable of aiming up, we started against the Roosters like we wanted to aim up but quickly unravelled after a few poorly executed plays. I also think certain players need to step up and show their mates that we're going to have a real crack tonight. One example is I want Ponga to return the first kick as hard as he can, do not pass it off to the winger (unless they're being put into space). By him passing it, it shows the team he's not prepared to put his body on the line tonight. It's a small thing but I can assure you it has an impact.

If we were comfortable with executing simple plays and defending them I'm sure it'll look like they're having a better go.

Basically I think we're at a fine line between effort and how talented of a football team we are.

Side note: I really like how Seibold speaks. Can see why he was touted as a good young coach.

This is where I'm starting to be concerned.. I don't think it's the players not being capable of aiming up, we started against the Roosters like we wanted to aim up but quickly unravelled after a few poorly executed plays. I also think certain players need to step up and show their mates that we're going to have a real crack tonight. One example is I want Ponga to return the first kick as hard as he can, do not pass it off to the winger (unless they're being put into space). By him passing it, it shows the team he's not prepared to put his body on the line tonight. It's a small thing but I can assure you it has an impact.

If we were comfortable with executing simple plays and defending them I'm sure it'll look like they're having a better go.

Basically I think we're at a fine line between effort and how talented of a football team we are.

Side note: I really like how Seibold speaks. Can see why he was touted as a good young coach.
I think Ponga passing it on kick returns is a coaching thing, in the game plan. It allows him to be available for either a follow up if there's an offload or for the next play if space becomes available after a quick play the ball

I don't think it's anything to do with Kayln not putting his body on the line or not committing

Jono078

Referee
I think Ponga passing it on kick returns is a coaching thing, in the game plan. It allows him to be available for either a follow up if there's an offload or for the next play if space becomes available after a quick play the ball

I don't think it's anything to do with Kayln not putting his body on the line or not committing
You may be right. Either way I don't like it. When has it worked out in our favour?

Would much rather see Kalyn return it to the best of his ability, which at times can mean a long break and then have the winger follow up with a strong run.

Yosh

Coach
Ponga needs to watch some Karmichael Hunt highlights from back in the day!!!

Apey

Staff member
Has to be coaching. He was doing more kick returns earlier on with us.

Ol mate a section over who used to abuse Darius every game has started calling Ponga Darius for his lack of returns.

Old dog

Juniors
Most kicks to Ponga are sky high so either or both wingers can/should be nearby and running on to a pass, that seems to have dropped of since Lee and Hunt haven’t been on deck, rather the winger, bigger build, was carting it back than Ponga. If the kick is early or no winger nearby then by all means run straight and hard, get some distance.

You may be right. Either way I don't like it. When has it worked out in our favour?

Would much rather see Kalyn return it to the best of his ability, which at times can mean a long break and then have the winger follow up with a strong run.
Dunno man, theres risks to that

If hes returning every kick hes gassing himself out for probably not much gain. Also returning from a shoulder injury minimising unnecessary contact on a player of his value makes some sense

Jono078

Referee
Dunno man, theres risks to that

If hes returning every kick hes gassing himself out for probably not much gain. Also returning from a shoulder injury minimising unnecessary contact on a player of his value makes some sense
It's a fullbacks job to return the ball. Understand the shoulder concern and possibly not having full confidence back, but we need to see him return it more.

I'm ok with the occasional pass to the winger but he's doing it multiple times a game. What other fullback is doing that? Look how Tommy Turbo returned from his injury - he's in the thick of everything because he wants to be and it inspires his team.

I really feel like I'm coming across as a Kalyn basher lately but I just want to see him do a few of the little things better and I'm sure it has a positive impact on the whole team.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Siebold can coach. Proved it at Souths. Prelim final in first season. Top 8 with Broncs in second. They used one game against Eels to throw him under a bus. That Eels side lost 32-0 a week later to Storm. Ie. neither was going to week 3.

Siebold can coach. Proved it at Souths. Prelim final in first season. Top 8 with Broncs in second. They used one game against Eels to throw him under a bus. That Eels side lost 32-0 a week later to Storm. Ie. neither was going to week 3.
Not saying you're wrong but I do think you're over simplifying what happened with Siebold

There's no doubting he's a very smart and sound tactical coach but he seems to lack people management skills, which is a big part of top level coaching. He also comes across as very emotional and thin skinned, not a good combo for a head coach

Yosh

Coach
Not saying you're wrong but I do think you're over simplifying what happened with Siebold

There's no doubting he's a very smart and sound tactical coach but he seems to lack people management skills, which is a big part of top level coaching. He also comes across as very emotional and thin skinned, not a good combo for a head coach

AOB seems a great man manager. If they can both work together and combine their strengths, perhaps we could turn our fortunes around.

Jono078

Referee
Not related the Gameplan, but I saw the NRL Youtube channel has this on right now;

Our team from 10 years ago... How many players from that squad would you take right now? Answer is not many..

Personally I think Uate, McManus and Gidley - that's it.

Old dog

Juniors
Not related the Gameplan, but I saw the NRL Youtube channel has this on right now;

Our team from 10 years ago... How many players from that squad would you take right now? Answer is not many..

Personally I think Uate, McManus and Gidley - that's it.
Same could be said about most clubs, game has changed and only the elite can cross the time line