What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Vale Peter Mulholland

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
The Canberra Raiders are deeply saddened by the passing of the clubs Recruitment and High-Performance Director Peter Mulholland following a long battle with illness.

Mulholland joined the Raiders in 2015 and has been an instrumental part of the club’s recruitment and retention of players, throughout the club’s pathway programs through to NRL level.

Not only has he been a huge part of bringing players to the Raiders, his involvement with the game of rugby league has spanned over 50 years, as a player, coach, mentor, role model and friend to so many people across the game.

Following his time as a player, Mulholland moved into coaching and was at the helm of the famous rugby league program at St Gregory’s Campbelltown for 14 seasons from 1979-1993, before he was given the opportunity to become the first head coach of new franchise the Western Reds in 1995. After two seasons with the Reds, he commenced as Coach of Paris Saint-Germain in France for one season in 1997 before returning to Australia.

Despite his prowess as a Coach, it was his love of developing and nurturing young rugby league players where Mulholland found his true calling, working with several NRL clubs over his distinguished career to identify and help begin countless NRL careers.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club was indebted to the work and commitment Mulholland had provided to the Raiders during his tenure, and despite his health battles, he always applied the same enthusiasm, drive, and passion towards what he loved doing, working in rugby league.

“The game has lost one of its greatest characters and we send our deepest sympathies to his Wife Mel, his sons Heath and Ned and the entire Mulholland family at this very sad time,” Furner said. “Peter Mulholland was one of the most loved and respected people in rugby league and there will be many wonderful stories and memories shared about him over the coming weeks. He was instrumental in turning around our clubs’ fortunes and helping us make the Grand Final with some of his astute and targeted recruitment.”

“Pete’s love of rugby league and his passion for what he did is what made him such a unique and respected person in our game, and I know we will all be poorer for his passing.”

“His time at the Raiders only makes up a very small portion of his rugby league career, but we will be forever indebted to what he brought to our club and what he was able to help us achieve during this time.”

“On behalf of all Raiders staff, players, coaches, families, members and fans we once again pass on our condolences to the Mulholland family and let them know he will never be forgotten by the Canberra Raiders.”

The Teach

Juniors
RIP Pete. Got to know him during his time at Penrith and was an absolute champion guy. Rugby league is poorer for his loss

nick87

Coach
One of the great servants to our game. Countless players across many clubs over his many decades have been impacted by his tireless commitment to development. RL is indeed poorer for his loss.

Thoughts are with Peter’s family and friends.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Heard lots of good things about him. Our first coach. very sad, condolences to family and friends.

1995NRLS1-BASE180.jpg

KennySterling

Juniors
Just waking to this terrible news in UK and terribly sad for the loss of a great man with no enemies. And that's so rare in this game.

An RL man through and through, generous to a fault, endlessly positive and extremely intelligent.

Impressive during his time at ill-fated Paris in their second and final year (1997) and a man always happy to offer a quote and discuss the game.

Massive loss. RIP Peter.

JJ

Immortal
Huge impact on the game, so many players, and many clubs

Sad, RIP legend

Last Week

Bench
I remember when I was in high school we had this competition that we all had to go in. It was like this business competition where we had to create, advertise and sell a product. Anyway, the week we were doing it the school got someone from the Panthers to come out and have a chat. That was Peter Mulholand.

He gave us a talk and as he was leaving, someone from our team asked him if it was possible to get a player to come out and film an advertisement for us. And the man delivered. He got Matthew Cross to come out and we filmed the ad. We ended up winning that competition and went to the national championships.

I always remembered him for that gesture. Made an impression. Good man.

Nuke

Staff member
I met him a few times as a 14yr old when he coached the Western Reds. He was always friendly and happy to have a chat. Seemed a genuine nice guy.

I'm sad to hear of his passing.

Very sad news. Will always be linked to St Gregs. The game is poorer for his passing but richer because of his contribution. Vale Peter

YoungPanther

Juniors
Coached me at school. Was an inspirational guy who I looked up to. Very sad to hear and condolences to his family for the passing of a wonderful human.