What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gareth67

First Grade
Correct me if I am wrong but you are allowed to speak to a player but can't offer them a contract until November 1 in their last year. However, we all know that deals are done before that and players and their managers agitating for early releases.

If the NRL can't get the players association and clubs on board to revisit a draft, then some sort of points system needs to be introduced to stop the better teams paying "unders" and lower teams paying "overs".

Currently, all teams need to spend at least 95% of their cap. So basically someone like the Dragon's or Tigpies are spending the same on their roster as Penrith, Roosters or any of the top teams. So look what the bottom teams end up with and yet they are spending the same. In reality, the bottom teams have rosters that are probably worth less than $8m but are forced to pay overs to reach 95% of their cap while the top teams probably have rosters worth over $11m but stay below the cap as they pay "unders".
Point taken Trifili , however to me speaking to any player is the same as putting termites into timber , once done the damage follows very quickly .

This is a loop hole that the NRL should rectify a.s.a.p. , as we have all seen what happens when a coach from a rival team ‘ chats ‘ with a player from another club.

Des Hasler and Jason Saab are a good example of that , the rubbish that the Dragons had to put up with from Saab was disgusting to say the least . Yet the smile on Dessie’s face when the Big Red V had enough of his antics and gave him a release would had been as wide as the Harbour Bridge .

Last edited:

jak

Bench
Point taken , however to me speaking to any player is the same as putting termites into timber , once done the damage follows very quickly .

This is a loop hole that the NRL should rectify very quickly , as we have all seen what happens when a coach from a rival team ‘ chats ‘ with a player from another club.
depends a lot on what club is having the chat.

Gareth67

First Grade
depends a lot on what club is having the chat.
Jak , I most sincerely hope that you are not suggesting that we here at the Dragons would take such an underhanded approach ?

Been a while since I have seen you post , I hope that all’s well with you matey .

Inisai Toga

Juniors
DFL apparantly according to buzz amone and sloan are sulking because they have been dropped and believe that they can play better than what is in front of them ( which we agree on ) If they are smart they will train the house down and come back hungrier
the story is your typical kick dragons while we are down
…….or just a total beat up rubbish of a story to justify having to talk about Rugby League drama and gossip all week and keep them all in a job.

Trifili13

Juniors
Point taken Trifili , however to me speaking to any player is the same as putting termites into timber , once done the damage follows very quickly .

This is a loop hole that the NRL should rectify very quickly , as we have all seen what happens when a coach from a rival team ‘ chats ‘ with a player from another club.

Des Hasler and Jason Saab are a good example of that , the rubbish that the Dragons had to put up with from Saab was disgusting to say the least . Yet the smile on Dessie’s face when the Bog Red V had enough of his antics and gave him a release would had been as wide as the Harbour Bridge .
Unfortunately, trying to stop players talking to other clubs when they shouldn't is nigh on impossible to police. And knowing our luck, and more to the point incompetence, we would be caught and made an example of the first time we did it if there was a rule against it.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree with everything you said Gareth67, but in fairness to the truth we have only known this a Buzz Rothfield rumour, I'm prepared to cut both Amone and Bennett some slack if its not true, but if it is, then both Amone and Bennett can have eachother, and yes being under contract obviously means nothing to the great one !!!
I'm watching the Raiders v Cowboys game and 5/8th Jack Wighton is playing a really good 5/8th game. He has got a great kicking game and most of the 5/8ths in the competition have good all round games that includes kicking and running in general play -
Panthers - Jarome Luai
Storm - Cameron Munster
Sharks - Matt Moylan
Eels - Dylan Brown
Roosters - Luke Keary
Sea Eagles - Kieran Foran
Rabbitohs - Dylan Walker
etc.

Amone has a very long way to go to be anywhere near these guys. Norman wasn't much but we had Widdop who was great. Maybe we should forget about Hunt going to hooker and leave him at half and bring in Sullivan as the 5/8th - he has a kicking game and is a runner. Amone could be the hooker though but needs to do a lot of tackling and do much more running and do some kicking. Anyway, that's what I think.

Gareth67

First Grade
Unfortunately, trying to stop players talking to other clubs when they shouldn't is nigh on impossible to police. And knowing our luck, and more to the point incompetence, we would be caught and made an example of the first time we did it if there was a rule against it.
Your certainly right on both counts , perhaps more so our brains- trust being caught out and punished .

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
I'm watching the Raiders v Cowboys game and 5/8th Jack Wighton is playing a really good 5/8th game. He has got a great kicking game and most of the 5/8ths in the competition have good all round games that includes kicking and running in general play -
Panthers - Jarome Luai
Storm - Cameron Munster
Sharks - Matt Moylan
Eels - Dylan Brown
Roosters - Luke Keary
Sea Eagles - Kieran Foran
Rabbitohs - Dylan Walker
etc.

Amone has a very long way to go to be anywhere near these guys. Norman wasn't much but we had Widdop who was great. Maybe we should forget about Hunt going to hooker and leave him at half and bring in Sullivan as the 5/8th - he has a kicking game and is a runner. Amone could be the hooker though but needs to do a lot of tackling and do much more running and do some kicking. Anyway, that's what I think.
And Hunt is nowhere near as good as most if the halfs in these teams maybe that's the problem

jak

Bench
Jak , I most sincerely hope that you are not suggesting that we here at the Dragons would take such an underhanded approach ?

Been a while since I have seen you post , I hope that all’s well with you matey .
i was thinking more along the lines of the other 15 clubs ol fela. as far as my health goes on the 19/04 2022 i will have been married 50 bloody years so you tell me how im going,if not for the dragons and chivas regal who knows????

Dragon David

First Grade
i was thinking more along the lines of the other 15 clubs ol fela. as far as my health goes on the 19/04 2022 i will have been married 50 bloody years so you tell me how im going,if not for the dragons and chivas regal who knows????
I would have been married 50 years in October but luckily for me that was my first wife and we finished up in 1979. I've moved on since and am with my third wife of almost 25 years. The second one, finished in 1991. I did my fair share of drowning my sorrows I guess, but the booze is now like the cigarettes - don't touch it.

Women hey! Where would we be without them?

thebigredv

First Grade
I would have been married 50 years in October but luckily for me that was my first wife and we finished up in 1979. I've moved on since and am with my third wife of almost 25 years. The second one, finished in 1991. I did my fair share of drowning my sorrows I guess, but the booze is now like the cigarettes - don't touch it.

Just be glad you're not Hook Griffin. He would have persisted with the first wife for 50 years waiting for it to come good. And compensated with an old hooker on the side.

jak

Bench

three wife's dave your a very brave man, but i have still got you beat i forgot to mention my one and only wife is a redhead hence the chivas regal

Gareth67

First Grade

Geeze H . Chrust ! Your almost the male equivalent of Liz Taylor .

Latest posts