What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Victoire

Juniors
I think he will be a good signing. Actually suspected we may sign him when he fell out with the dogs big wigs.
I also heard a few years ago that growing up he followed the Dragons.
Yep, it turns out his idol was Mark Gasnier! Ok thats enough to win me over lol

Crush

Coach
I’m not sold on him at all and smells of desperation. He was told at the end of last season to look around & free to leave.

No other club seemed too interested, except the RedV recycle centre.
Whatever bait Flanno is using, he needs to change as he isn’t catching the right fish!
Coffs, it is what it is. Ofcourse its desperation, thats because we havent been able to sign the A list, B list or C listers so things are...well...desperate!
Better off rolling the dice with a few guys we would have passed on 6 months ago than having no depth and relying purely on juniors.
I'm comfortable with this signing, it wouldnt have broken the bank and seems worth the risk (injury/mental health) given the circumstances.

Dragon David

First Grade
Coffs, it is what it is. Ofcourse its desperation, thats because we havent been able to sign the A list, B list or C listers so things are...well...desperate!
Better off rolling the dice with a few guys we would have passed on 6 months ago than having no depth and relying purely on juniors.
I'm comfortable with this signing, it wouldnt have broken the bank and seems worth the risk (injury/mental health) given the circumstances.
It seems that our recruitment every year for the past how ever long has been second rate, middle of the road, rejects, journeymen type that our coaches, including Flanagan, have had to put up with for some goddam reason. What is that reason? Are we just going to be a club where our philosophy is "beggars cannot be choosers"? Have we become a dead end club that good/decent players who can actually change the destiny for better results for us just laughing out loud at us when we put our feelers out to their managers and they come back to us and say thanks but no thanks?

I just cannot believe the dramas that we go through each and every year waiting for us to finally get a few worthwhile players that can be leaders and help win us so many games and on game days you feel pretty confident of winning.

I'm not saying that the guys we have secured won't do their job but that feeling of being confident is not with me just yet. That feeling really hasn't been around for nigh on 12 years (from 2012 t0 2023) however, with Flanno's appointment as the head coach I hope that the 13th year will be much better and confidence comes back.

Crush

Coach
It seems that our recruitment every year for the past how ever long has been second rate, middle of the road, rejects, journeymen type that our coaches, including Flanagan, have had to put up with for some goddam reason. What is that reason? Are we just going to be a club where our philosophy is "beggars cannot be choosers"? Have we become a dead end club that good/decent players who can actually change the destiny for better results for us just laughing out loud at us when we put our feelers out to their managers and they come back to us and say thanks but no thanks?

I just cannot believe the dramas that we go through each and every year waiting for us to finally get a few worthwhile players that can be leaders and help win us so many games and on game days you feel pretty confident of winning.

I'm not saying that the guys we have secured won't do their job but that feeling of being confident is not with me just yet. That feeling really hasn't been around for nigh on 12 years (from 2012 t0 2023) however, with Flanno's appointment as the head coach I hope that the 13th year will be much better and confidence comes back.
This year is make or break. If Flanno cant drag them up the ladder then I cant see any improvement in recruitment into 2025 and beyond.
Must start fast.

since77

Juniors
I’m not sold on him at all and smells of desperation. He was told at the end of last season to look around & free to leave.

No other club seemed too interested, except the RedV recycle centre.
Whatever bait Flanno is using, he needs to change as he isn’t catching the right fish!
I respectfully disagree on this one. With the Tigers and the Dragons, the Bulldogs have shared the honours of having one of the worst systems in the NRL for the last decade. And I'm not yet convinced on the Ciraldo being the next SuperCoach theory. I think there was discontent in the ranks last year for a reason and their recruitment strategy is literally trying to shoot fish in a barrel. I don't think there's any reason to judge someone who wants to get out of there, wasn't performing in the current setup or someone they want to release.
If Flanno can get him firing he's an absolute upgrade on the garbage forwards that Griffin was recruiting. The signing of RFM objectively makes our squad stronger and more importantly makes our forward pack stronger.
Its not a marquee signing but as a two year solution while we look to recruit others, its a good solid signing that improves us.
I'm ok with it.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I respectfully disagree on this one. With the Tigers and the Dragons, the Bulldogs have shared the honours of having one of the worst systems in the NRL for the last decade. And I'm not yet convinced on the Ciraldo being the next SuperCoach theory. I think there was discontent in the ranks last year for a reason and their recruitment strategy is literally trying to shoot fish in a barrel. I don't think there's any reason to judge someone who wants to get out of there, wasn't performing in the current setup or someone they want to release.
If Flanno can get him firing he's an absolute upgrade on the garbage forwards that Griffin was recruiting. The signing of RFM objectively makes our squad stronger and more importantly makes our forward pack stronger.
Its not a marquee signing but as a two year solution while we look to recruit others, its a good solid signing that improves us.
I'm ok with it.
I hope he proves me wrong & the proof will be in the pudding at seasons end.
Our biggest problem still lies in the front row & spine that need addressing.

twinkletoes

Juniors

You are correct Dragon David...however the reason we are in this position is that our recruitment team have never planned ahead...2, 3, 4 years. Haran has been head of recruitment for over 12 months before Flanaghan arrived and in that time nothing was done, hence the reason this year and maybe next it will be difficult to sign top shelf players...all the smart clubs have already signed up the quality players for this year, next year and probably looking at 2026 as well...you can't just suddenly say we need players for this season and start looking around just before the season starts...hence the reason in order to fill our roster we are signing senior players who have seen better days...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I really hope they do the proper full medical on this bloke as he has had so many injuries lately that I cannot remember him playing for ages.

Probably one of the best forward of what is currently available at this time as there is not much. I disagree that it is a desperate buy from the Dragons as if they got him last year when he was on the outer and Dogs were trying to get rid of him then that would be desperation. Saints litterally waited till the last minute when he would have been desperate for a club to snap him up at a bargain price and the Dogs would be chipping in for sure. They can foot the whole bill as far as we know and still bring in 4 players and tell the NRL "they have free salary cap space because of it". I expect Terrell May will be their target for the "available cap space".

There will be a few ex-dogs players going out to prove a point in 2024. Funny how Dogs have ex Saints in Hutchison and Mann and the Dragons have Flanno and RFM. Both unwanted by their clubs. Hutch and Mann were at the time unwanted by dud Saints coaches. Maybe the same case for the Dogs with their dud coach.

justadragon

Bench

Multiple years of Haran and Milward, and a dysfunctional board, I think you will find your answer there Dave.

Dragon David

First Grade
You are correct Dragon David...however the reason we are in this position is that our recruitment team have never planned ahead...2, 3, 4 years. Haran has been head of recruitment for over 12 months before Flanaghan arrived and in that time nothing was done, hence the reason this year and maybe next it will be difficult to sign top shelf players...all the smart clubs have already signed up the quality players for this year, next year and probably looking at 2026 as well...you can't just suddenly say we need players for this season and start looking around just before the season starts...hence the reason in order to fill our roster we are signing senior players who have seen better days...
I guess you have answered my question(s) twinkletoes, thanks. Poor short and long term planning - mainly long term by so called recruiters who have just not done their job to our benefit. Identify where the weaknesses are and look at future options and start behind the scene talks with managers. They need to do this now for 2025 and onwards. Just don't fiddle arse about!!

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Christian Tuipulotu

No doubt we can front load his 2024
Lesser for 2025
Probably wants 2026 which might not work for us

Brings strong competition for spots and we can move on unwanted 2025 players

Plus he maybe a project like a fair few centre wingers that have surprised when shifted to the edge in the pack

Seems like Flanno maybe convinced re Lomax as possible plan B at FB

Hence another back

Last edited: