What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

justadragon

Bench
I will never question Dean Youngs ability as a player nor his passion, his coaching career however is a different story. There is no doubt he wasnt up to it when he took over as Temp HC, but have a look at who he did his apprenticeship under, it would have been laughable and a complete circus. He needed to go and after a few years he is back. Now is the time to make judgement on what progress he has made, it will become very evident when the season has started. I wont put any blame on him because he didnt bring cowboys players with him, nor will I blame Flanno either, 25-26 is when we should really start to cast a discerning eye. All I can do for now is support them both as I said I would, you just never know our team might surprise a few this year.

kit66

Bench
Never said he was a star or hero cause he wasn't. They are your words
But he certainly was a proud Dragon who made the 200 club snd deserved what came his way and achievements
Your making him out to be a reserve grader quality who didn’t really deserve a GF ring and also should of lured Cowboy players down here as if our club was a viable move for their careers from Townsville
Plenty of great 1st graders did not represent and saying Bennett endorsed Price are terrible comparisons
1. No one saw Price coach a 1st grade side on his own when he was endorsed including Bennett
2. Bennett still gives accolades to Dean post career when he does not have to. One of his favs he says
But your last paragraph says it all
So you don’t like the Young’s snd that is OK and your entitlement as you say to an opinion
But that has nothing to do with Dean as being a worthy 1st grade player for our club
That opinion of yours is not supported by any facts as you try to justify it but just dislike it seems

My first comment on this was that in Young's early career he was very average and didn't deserve to be in the team ahead of others and that that had something to do with his dad. That sparked a Deano fan boy pile on full of hyperbole of what a great player he was and how he was a Rep player (not noting that his appearances were 1 time in each team and never invited back which says a lot about him and his fan boys) and Bennett's favourite etc and how he had real passion , like he had any more than anyone else in his team etc, etc. OK, I said fair enough, believe whatever you want.
You're welcome to prove me wrong about his early career, you can make it a little project, go look through his games 2003 - 2007-8 and find a single one featuring him being anything other than bog average and post it on here. Do that and I'll join the Deano for Immortal club.

kit66

Bench
A previous forum that morphed into this definitely existed and it was busier with more posters than what we have now. Deano was a favourite and definitely was not a prime target of our discontent.

I was on that forum and wanted to mention it earlier but without proof thought better of it but I'm sure I wrote some posts in 2009-10 questioning why Merrin was in reserves while someone like Young was in first grade. I'm sure I made similar posts in the years before that on the same subject of Young blocking others. If you can find an archive that would be great.

Victoire

Juniors
My first comment on this was that in Young's early career he was very average and didn't deserve to be in the team ahead of others and that that had something to do with his dad. That sparked a Deano fan boy pile on full of hyperbole of what a great player he was and how he was a Rep player (not noting that his appearances were 1 time in each team and never invited back which says a lot about him and his fan boys) and Bennett's favourite etc and how he had real passion , like he had any more than anyone else in his team etc, etc. OK, I said fair enough, believe whatever you want.
You're welcome to prove me wrong about his early career, you can make it a little project, go look through his games 2003 - 2007-8 and find a single one featuring him being anything other than bog average and post it on here. Do that and I'll join the Deano for Immortal club.
This is cute. Dismissing all concrete, tangible evidence of Dean being an exceptional player (rep achievements, career longevity, the fact he was a favourite of the greatest coach of all time who also appointed him vice captain), and then still manage to shrug off the burden of proof for your arguments. We've given nothing but facts here. All you've done is post about your feelings

Victoire

Juniors
I was on that forum and wanted to mention it earlier but without proof thought better of it but I'm sure I wrote some posts in 2009-10 questioning why Merrin was in reserves while someone like Young was in first grade. I'm sure I made similar posts in the years before that on the same subject of Young blocking others. If you can find an archive that would be great.
lol Merrin? ffs he was a front rower, in 2009 Young played hooker/lock. Is this really the best you've got?

kit66

Bench
This is cute. Dismissing all concrete, tangible evidence of Dean being an exceptional player (rep achievements, career longevity, the fact he was a favourite of the greatest coach of all time who also appointed him vice captain), and then still manage to shrug off the burden of proof for your arguments. We've given nothing but facts here. All you've done is post about your feelings

Mate all that post is missing is fireworks and a brass band.

Nich

Juniors
This 100%!

since77

Juniors
If you're talking about the MSN forum I was on that too and have zero memory of any amount of criticism when it came to Young being in the team. There might have occasionally been debate about how effective he was as a dummy half (and there might have been merit to that debate sometimes) but there was zero debate about whether he should have been playing first grade. Because of course he should have been. It's one thing to dislike his father's influence in club business (and on that we would be in agreement) but I'm flabbergasted any Dragons' fan without their eyes painted on could judge Dean's playing days as poorly as you do. Its insane.
And you're just wrong about this supposed period where Young was being picked in front of better players. Dead wrong. Name one. Merrin? Different positions. And Merrin was playing first grade in 2010 after playing under 20's in 2008 and debuting in 2009.
Name one player that should have been picked in front of Young.

kit66

Bench
lol Merrin? ffs he was a front rower, in 2009 Young played hooker/lock. Is this really the best you've got?

Let me share the thoughts of everyone who reads your post - "yeah, nah, lock, 2nd row, prop". Merrin was twice the player Young ever was. A real "rep player" 26 rep games to Young's 3.

Parko1310

Juniors
Buzz is reporting that Christian Tuipulotu has been released immediately by Manly and is heading our way from 2024 onwards
Have a feeling one or two players might be on their way out either before or just after the season starts. That's our top 30 full, and Flano's plan beforehand was to have a spot or 2 available. I'm not a fan of this signing personally, really don't rate him. But if he's ours now I hope he does well and he'll have my cautious support until he proves to be a good/bad player for us.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
re Christian as at 36mins ago

"St George Illawarra have landed the signature of Manly winger Christian Tuipulotu to add to their back-five depth following the season-ending injury to Corey Allan.
Tuipulotu’s two-year deal was finalised on Wednesday morning with the Sea Eagles agreeing to an immediate release.
He will start training with the Dragons next week."

TheRev

First Grade
Have a feeling one or two players might be on their way out either before or just after the season starts. That's our top 30 full, and Flano's plan beforehand was to have a spot or 2 available. I'm not a fan of this signing personally, really don't rate him. But if he's ours now I hope he does well and he'll have my cautious support until he proves to be a good/bad player for us.
This was my thought too.. The 30 is done, but maybe there is still some aspirations to move on Turner/Feagais, possibly BMM but I think BMM is useful. I think we have money, we just need the slots back.

This also means we tick the box for having our squad full for start of season.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I’ve never seen him play. Don’t know a thing about him either. But I rate him over Feagai already.