What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2024

Dragon David

First Grade
After watching the Charity Shield last night, I really think that we need a couple of well organising and attacking players. We had a couple of scoring chances in the first half which if scored would have made the scoreline look better but as with most of our recent games against Souths in these matches, their second half team always come out on top against our younger players.

Our attack has been shit for a few years now and while Flanagan wants our defence to be more solid, what is the use of having good defence when you don't have points to defend. Once the opposition does score, we have to score. Get working on the attack please - this aspect makes watching league more entertaining.

We really need to improve our attack and become impenetrable in defence against the Tigers next week.

since77

Juniors
The negative nellies are predictably out after watching 40 minutes of a trial. Its ridiculous that people are judging the second half as if it is relevant. The Fox Sports article about the game was laughable. Well at least this place isn't as bad at the Facebook groups - some of the morons on those are hilarious......

I thought the first half was encouraging. Better defense, better intensity. It was noticeably a different team with a different coach. Just clunky in attack. Sloan still rocks and diamonds, I hope he finds some confidence because those mistakes just happen too often....... I was generally ok with the first half considering this was their first hit out of the year with another one to come next week.
The second half? Who cares? We obviously have some depth problems. The one thing I got out of it is I think Marschke will be a better 14 than Mulheisen.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
The 2nd half was a shambles so I won't comment on that but one thing I did notice from the 1st was that Flanno Jr was hardly sighted. So it seems that no matter who wears the 6 jersey, while Hook Jr is wearing the 7 they'll just be a passenger.

I'm really hoping the team strikes a better balance over the first few rounds because we already know how effective the "give it to Ben" game plan has been.

Murfy

Juniors
Thought that last night was actually pretty promising. The first half the boys played with an intensity and desire that will win us more games than we lose. We definitely looked fitter, faster and stronger. Defence seems to have been the primary focus and it looked much better in the first half. Second half we played essentially our reserves so can’t take much stock in that.

I know a former first grade coach and he always told me that it only took a team a year to learn how to defend but 2-3 to learn how to attack properly. The key was for trusting your defence to win you games early on until your attack caught up. Flanagan coached teams in the past seem to have played this way previously. So I wouldn’t be surprised if we are a ruthless defensive team that wins games on the back of our defence.

Thought our standouts were Sua, F Molo, Bird and Marschke when he came on. Think Marschke needs to be our 14. The guy is electric.

Nutz

Bench
The look on Shane Flanagan's face with 3 minutes to go said it all.
I'm actually angry at how easily Souths rolled up the middle especially in the 2nd half.
We desperately need size in the middle. Zero presence.
Agree...Flanno knows that, he tried desperately to sign AFB.
Trials need to be played like wet weather footy...basic stuff... complete your sets and a good kick and chase on the last.
For me it's more about solid D and high completion rates. You do that and the club culture improves.
My tigers in the last couple of years have competed well early in the game [sometimes led] and as soon as they score they throw the towel in....no discipline.
I'm afraid my two favourite teams are going to fight for the spoon again unless the club culture changes.
Sloane last night summed it up. He is a brilliant footballer but unless he starts to get the basics right he will concede more points than score.
Trust Flanno guys, he can improve your team.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The 2nd half was a shambles so I won't comment on that but one thing I did notice from the 1st was that Flanno Jr was hardly sighted. So it seems that no matter who wears the 6 jersey, while Hook Jr is wearing the 7 they'll just be a passenger.

I'm really hoping the team strikes a better balance over the first few rounds because we already know how effective the "give it to Ben" game plan has been.
Hunt to me was not effective and creative enough and his passing several times out to the right where Lomax was playing on the wing was B grade. I also didn't see Flanno Jr do much. So our halves need to get the combination working better. Marschke should play more minutes in the next game with both Hunt and Flanno Jr to see how he combines. He definitely needs to be in our 17. Bird tried hard and I'd like to see how he goes again at centre against the Tigers for further judgement as to whether or not Flanno should keep him in that position

possm

Coach
The defense in the first half was good and showed improvement last season. The attacking structure and plan were rubbish.

The experiment with Sloan, Bird, and Lomax did not work well. Sloan and Bird should be in reserve grade. Lomax should be at fullback or right center.

Prop rotation should include Fifita and Sele:
Molo
Lawrie
Fifita
Sele

Edgee forward Su'A and Eisonhuth is good.
De Belin at lock and RFM on the bench to complete the forward pack.

Hunt to hooker
Kyle to halfback
We need a new five-eighth

So reserve grade for Sloan, Feagai brothers, and Bird.

Phantom V

Juniors
Was happy with our defensive effort in the first half. In the forwards, Molo, Su’a, Eisenhueth and JDB the standouts. Liddel looked sharp when he was on.
I thought Suli was the highlight in a disjointed backline and Sloan played to script. Marshke impressed me when he came on and for mine he has to be in the 17.
It’s only one game but for mine, our backline attack was copy and paste from last year. Hunts service was clunky at times which is a worry as we seemed to rely on him in almost every play. I imagine this week ball skills will be the order of the day at training and ffs will someone just put pen to paper on Su’s contract?

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I was hoping to see more of Kyle running the general play with Hunt getting the ball when he could put something on. Unfortunately in the first half it looked like the old days of Hunt calling for the ball on almost every play and trying to do it all. I'd like Hunt to become an impact player rather than the centre of everything. Step up Kyle! Having said that, I didn't think Kyle did much in the second half when he had a chance to lead without Hunt there.

carltonsouth79

First Grade

InterestinglyHunt interviewed on Fox mentioned how he needs to be calmer about running the side and let Flanno Jr have more opportunities

matPORTS

Juniors
Overall summary:

First half - some positive signs, albeit most things looked very rusty (expected for the first real hit out of the year)

Second half - showed the severe lack of depth we currently have within the club (no one is quite knocking on the door yet and providing genuine competition for spots)

Will we be competing with the top teams in the comp this year - at this stage I'd call a definite no on that

Lets see how next weeks trial against the Tigers goes - as that is the level of competition we'll mainly be competing with in 2024

I know things are bad when I don't even shout at the tv anymore during a game - just mumbled profanities to mark the occasion of yet another botched attacking play, dumb option or lazy , ineffective tackle.
Flanagan obviously hasn't had enough time to get into the player's heads. I wonder how long it's gonna take, or if it's even possible after years of mediocre instruction from Mary & Hook.
The Couchmen were bog average last night and Egan looked more like Lee Murphy than Liam Martin. Muhleisen and Fifita were pretty anonymous too. You'd think they'd be playing out of their skin to maybe get a spot in the 17, but no - they just ambled around like they didn't have a clue. And that's cos the senior players don't have a clue either.
I don't feel hopeful.

Thanks NOTB. We all try to do our best. Sadly some people's material works better than others. Have a great day!
I just thought your initial comment was kinda unnecessary.
We all know the refs are crap and seem to love to pull an obscure technical penalty out of their hat against the Dragons.
However, you can't watch that listless, clueless rubbish from the Red V last night and pretend that the ref was costing us. If you don't want to get penalised for for stuff like that learn the rules.
But if you have to take the piss out of someone to prove what a big boy you are, go for it.
Have a nice day.

blacksafake

First Grade
Can’t use the word impressed but some player positives for me were.

Su’a - love the guy, can the club just get his signature done ffs.
Suli - looked fitter.
Rava - looked more physical.
Liddle - sharp & defended well.
F Molo - looked like his old self.
Eisenhuth? - calm & professional.
JDB - better 1st half, too much ball playing in the 2nd.
Of the youngsters trying to push their way in.
Marschke - confident, competitive & quick, on that performance he’s got to be the 14.
The couches - mobile, energetic but need to cut out their mistakes.
Was disappointed with some others such as Fifita & Egan.

Probably not as downcast as many here.

our intensity and commitment in the first half was first grade standard.

defence was very good.

Bird played well barring one error in first half. He really looks like an edge back rower to me, not a centre.

Lomax was wasted on the wing. Sloan tried too hard, appeared nervous. If he doesn’t improve, Lomax will play fullback.

Sua, Eisenhuth, Francis Molo and Liddle were our best in the forwards.

Second half, we literally played an entirely different lineup. They looked like strangers. No one really took control, hence we played like a leaderless rabble.

None of the second unit distinguished themselves, probably because of the lack of cohesiveness. The better younger players are 1-2 years away from fulfilling their potential.

The Coachman’s are nearly ready physically to step up.

Souths reserve grade side won KOE last season. Little wonder we were touched up in the second half.

We look fitter and stronger.

I don’t feel the first half attack was as bad as some of our forum colleagues think.

Hunt needs to allow young Flanagan more ball if we are to be more balanced and less predictable.

Suli, Bird and Rav had good games. The young Manly winger has size but no speed.

Matthew Fegai is no worse.

I feel we will exceed expectations as we have 20-22 players capable of meshing together.

Looking forward to the Wests Tigers trial.