What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2024

thebigredv

First Grade
Maybe there's some players in there that can be developed/improved but gee we just need to give other players a reason to sign with us because there's no way we are building our own glamorous destiny with this squad. We can't even sign b-grade players atm. Hopefully there's a lot more backbone from the players on the field when the season starts proper.

2nd half showed why we will have a large change over of players these next few years. Some of these guys need to go, others need time in reserves to earn the NRL position.
1st half opened well. Energy, speed, and signs we could be better. Challenge will be to perform not just for 20 minutes, or 40, but 80.
I’d be a lot more concerned if they went missing in the first half, it wasn’t pretty, but it was ok.

Parko1310

Juniors
We could all see them scoring from a mile away…but the dragons? Nope…they’re just being the dragons :(
That was one of the more disappointing things of the night. Everyone could tell they were going to try something. A kick on the last play is always likely, so you've just got to be awake. Lack of effort and just plain dumbness again was really disappointing on that play.

I’d be a lot more concerned if they went missing in the first half, it wasn’t pretty, but it was ok.
They kind of did, insofar as they had plenty of possession and field position early on but never looked like scoring. Early on they had some intensity in defence, too but didn't have the fitness/concentration/desire to keep it going.
Flanno has his work cut out for him.

They kind of did, insofar as they had plenty of possession and field position early on but never looked like scoring. Early on they had some intensity in defence, too but didn't have the fitness/concentration/desire to keep it going.
Flanno has his work cut out for him.
Yeah, but interchanging and the laws of trial footy cruels the overall intent.

Game plans are written on a beer coaster the night before.

Flanno just wanted to see where everyone’s base line is going into the season.

Brad Arthur did the same.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We always find a way to give the opposition what they want. It's what poor teams do. And I don't care if it's our best 13 on the field or our young blokes looking to enter first grade - not good enough wearing the red v.
Agreed mate. This is only a trial. But you have these young kids who are out to prove themselves that they can play first grade. The only thing the likes of Feagai and co proved was that they are just dumb footy players who don’t belong anywhere near a first grade team. Our young blokes failed to impress tonight

Parko1310

Juniors
Sloan I thought looked better returning the ball tonight and is certainly bigger. Better under the high ball too, but really needs to wake up. Lack of concentration is what causes his errors, and also what causes his poor support play. He still hasn't learnt to support the ball runner as a fullback. Does look better though, it isn't all bad. In fact, I'd say more positive out of the performance despite the errors.

Rav, Lomax, Bird, Suli look really fit, and I thought they did well defensively. Even when Rav made the wrong decision, Suli was able to come across in cover by sliding out.

Flanagan was a bit pedestrian. I fear people have already heightened their expectations above what Kyle's actual ability is. He is not a great half, but he can be better than he was tonight and will be. But he won't be some sort of game changer for us. Did well defensively I thought.

Molo, Su'a, Eisenhuth, De Belin were good. Lawrie not so much, did nothing in terms of effectiveness and I thought put us under a bit of pressure when he got tired. Really slow off the line and slow to react to footwork from attackers. I hope he does better.

Mulheisen really hampered us when he came on. Arguably our worst on field tonight in my opinion. Really poor. The service became sluggish, and whenever there was any second phase play he held onto it for too long deciding what to do and nullified the effect of the offload. If Marchske performs well again next week, Mulheisen might be making way at 14.

Fifita went well enough I thought. BMM + Michael Molo ineffective. Likewise Egan, although he is very young and got most of his time on the field with a second string side. Couchmans had good and bad moments.

Special mention to Jonah Glover. Might not be much more than a reserve grade half, but wanted to point out his effort. Thought he was really putting in and did some good things.

Flano will be disappointed that we went away from our attacking and defensive structures. These guys that are second fiddle need to be able to step up and do the job required when injury/suspension/origin strikes. Tonight they showed that currently, they can't do that. The shape was completely non-existent in the second half, just bodies scattered everywhere. Very unorganised there, even when Kyle was on the field to start the second.

Attack-no cohesion or communication.
Attacking kicks-awful
Sloan-meek
Lomax as expensive winger-nope.

Otherwise some good signs in defence and rucking. Players look fit and strong. I do wonder if Hunt can become a proper 7 after all these years of playing off the cuff. It is beyond a joke that we can have 1 mill halfback on our books for this long and still look like rabble in attack.