What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

TheRev

First Grade
Brandon Mansfield just made zero sense coming to our club, I know hes just coming to try his luck, but Marschke aside all we have bought all off-season is more 2nd rowers.. he wont even play NSW Cup & definitely not JF, there are so many young options for the JF 2nd row... maybe if there were 2-3 injuries I guess all bets are off.

Glover/Ralph I assume 1 or 2 of them will be the halves in NSW Cup, depending on whats happening with Marschke/Turner & Quinn/Ward.. from what Random says it seems almost certain Reed/King-Togia will stay in Jersey Flegg this year.

Our Reggies warmed up for the season yesterday smashing the Maggies 58/6 at Mudgee. May turn out to be a master stroke bringing Josh Ralph and Jonah Glover to the club should they prove to be Firsts standard.

Flegg play this arvo. Cant find the team list or match Centre?

Last edited:

randomdragon

Juniors
Brandon Mansfield just made zero sense coming to our club, I know hes just coming to try his luck, but Marschke aside all we have bought all off-season is more 2nd rowers.. he wont even play NSW Cup & definitely not JF, there are so many young options for the JF 2nd row... maybe if there were 2-3 injuries I guess all bets are off.

Glover/Ralph I assume 1 or 2 of them will be the halves in NSW Cup, depending on whats happening with Marschke/Turner & Quinn/Ward.. from what Random says it seems almost certain Reed/King-Togia will stay in Jersey Flegg this year.
that's if reed and LKT get picked for JF

TheRev

First Grade
that's if reed and LKT get picked for JF
yar I guess nothing is locked in yet, Hammoud might get a nod also.

What im curious about is whether they would consider trying to keep Reed + LKT together during development.. just working on that combination given they are the 2 training with 1st grade and being fast-tracked.....

Mind you a bit like Amone + Sullivan, you never do a double change into 1st grade.. if they ever do make 1st grade.. it would only be 1 dropped in at a time.

yar I guess nothing is locked in yet,
I am reading a Quinn/Ward Flegg starting halves combo. Lets see how they go before we talk about replacing them with Ball rookies. You can tho put your money on Latu and Halangahu stepping up to Flegg after their Ball commitments to reunite with their Aussie schoolboy team mate Loko Jr.

TheRev

First Grade
NSW Cup Team:
1. Mathew Feagai 2. Sione Finau 3. Max Feagai 4. Savelio Tamale 5. Christian Tuipulotu 6. Josh Ralph 7. Jonah Glover 8. Alec Tuitavake 9. Haele Finau 10. Toby Couchman 11. Dylan Egan 12. Ryan Couchman 13. Dan Russell 14. Declan Purcell 15. Jackson Shereb 16. Josh Coric 17. Thomas Freebairn 18. Cooper Roberts 19. Levi Pascoe
Must say i'm not feeling too fantastic about that squad, without Sele and with Marschke/BMM not names as Parko mentioned (1st grade injury cover) it takes a bit of the class out of it.. but hopefully will still get the job done.. must say I was not expecting Russell to be in the squad, let alone at lock.. I thought Ryan or Tui might have had that gig..

In any case this game is actually on NSWRLTV.. this might force a decision on whether to buy the pass or not.. I can see Fox cover 1 cup game also (in this case they are doing the saturday arvo dogs game).

TheRev

First Grade
Jersey Flegg Team:
1. Wesley Pring 2. Cain Barnes 3. Will Starling 4. Benjamin Lavender 5. Jack Piccirilli 6. Jack Quinn 7. Ashton Ward 8. Jacob Webster 9. Kyan Hjaltason 10. Jett Liu 11. Hamish Stewart 12. Campbell Watchirs 13. Matthew Alhazim 14. Trey Barlow 15. Travis Barrett-Hancock 16. Callum Leikvoll 17. Dilan Asanoski 18. Riley Pascoe

So the SG Ball sides are untouched, this is all the generation before them, no coverage.

Only question is where is our main man Benny Rumble, not named in either squad, injured?

TheRev

First Grade
Russell, Max Feagai, Turner are probably the first 3 to move on... but beyond that there is also Shereb eating up a Dev spot, Coric I think we should keep.. but they did mention on the podcast that there was an indication he was on the way out.

If we had some gun prop to sign up.. Flanno could also make a call on MMolo & Tuitavake in their final year of contract.. are they staying or going? Cause we can probably offload them for reasonable coin if they aren't in our plans.. but right now I think they have a job to do for 2024.. and I think Flanno is waiting to see how they go, and there is definitely a chance that they could impress.

I feel like there are a couple more kids that Flanno is going to want to sign up for dev spots soon also.. it seems like some of the SG brigade got contracts very early on.. and I wonder if thats more their managers hard negotiation and/or fending off other clubs.. but there are more guns (such as Williams, Reed, King-Togia, Meafou, Hutchinson, Buchanon) that havent been given their development/Top30 plan yet... im sure there are others in that Steelers side also.. like its a big list of talent that clubs will come after.

Problem is, that can be a hell of a lot of Top30+6 spots taken up with kids... so we need to clear room to fit em.. and im sure we are still looking for quality 1st graders also.. hell of a job recruitment...

randomdragon

Juniors
Russell, Max Feagai, Turner are probably the first 3 to move on... but beyond that there is also Shereb eating up a Dev spot, Coric I think we should keep.. but they did mention on the podcast that there was an indication he was on the way out.

If we had some gun prop to sign up.. Flanno could also make a call on MMolo & Tuitavake in their final year of contract.. are they staying or going? Cause we can probably offload them for reasonable coin if they aren't in our plans.. but right now I think they have a job to do for 2024.. and I think Flanno is waiting to see how they go, and there is definitely a chance that they could impress.

I feel like there are a couple more kids that Flanno is going to want to sign up for dev spots soon also.. it seems like some of the SG brigade got contracts very early on.. and I wonder if thats more their managers hard negotiation and/or fending off other clubs.. but there are more guns (such as Williams, Reed, King-Togia, Meafou, Hutchinson, Buchanon) that havent been given their development/Top30 plan yet... im sure there are others in that Steelers side also.. like its a big list of talent that clubs will come after.

Problem is, that can be a hell of a lot of Top30+6 spots taken up with kids... so we need to clear room to fit em.. and im sure we are still looking for quality 1st graders also.. hell of a job recruitment...
most of the ones you mentioned have some form of contract in place.

TheRev

First Grade
There seems to be 0 Jersey Flegg coverage this year, not on the NSWRLTV site or fox, does that seem strange? The SG Ball is covered, and NSW Cup, maybe it was just too many grades...

I'm going to sign up for the trial season pass this weekend and watch NSW Cup, they are doing 3 games a week of Cup, so its not wonderful, so we get a few dragons games covered during the season.. and the 1 SG game.. and beyond that im not sure what happens come finals.. maybe its back on Fox..

TheRev

First Grade
NSW Cup just kicking off, giving thecoverage trial a shot:

1710033190816.png

o Wonder whether Tuipulotu didnt get picked over Roberts or is injured?
o No Marschke or Mulheissen as we suspected earlier in the week.
=================================

I'll add some game comments as it goes:
o We had heaps of possession on their goal-line early but couldnt do anything with it..
o Roberts on report for a shoulder charge
o They got a 40-20 and pretty soon they went straight over, probably Matt Feagais tackle.. definitely not the most agile fullback but early days.
o 3rd or 4th time we have finished our set on their 5m line, no skill to cut thru.. but using our physicality we forced an error and Roberts gets a try straight off it.
o Man we need a halfback in here.. were just ramming it up, slow speed.. getting outkicked (we are into the breeze mind you).. if were gonna win itll be just grinding out with forwards trying to outlast them. Lots of errors from both sides thankfully. Atleast 10 times now we have died with it on their line.. it must be a strategy...no backline movements at all.
o Purcell is on at dummy half.. much faster and threatening.. Coric a much bigger body is good, Freebairn ive never heard of.. also very big body... Glover held up over the line.. damnit.
o Purcell was looking great, big passing, scheming, talking.. but hes just tried to burrow over into 3 blokes, dropped it and I reckon itll be a concussion (he stayed on, so maybe all good).
o f**k Tamale has some errors in him.. he tries really hard, maybe 3 errors before halftime.. hes not alone mind you, lots of stuff like not standing up to play the ball, or playing it properly.. basics.
o Just cant sustain pressure.. they definitely have more skill with ball in hand.. bluddy Faalogo the Storm Prodigy cant even crack reserve grade fullback for them.. kid called Jake Toby is their fullback.. just scored that try.
o As the game has gone on the quality difference is becoming more apparent, bit too mush skill and pace for our line-up.. bit unsure about the defensive nouse of Freebairn in particular, but Matt Feagai gets stepped very easily, Purcell is a small dude, love him with the ball, not sure if hes up to the defence yet. Down 4-20 currently.

=========================

In the end we lost 4-28, pretty hard to watch sadly, they are sort of doing the same bash and barge stuff that 1st grade does, but without the same sort of acceleration or speed to finish things.. defended well early but rly fell away as the game went on.. Matt Feagai has his moments, the big body is useful at times, but we need a couple of guys with some pace and footwork in that side, Tamale does I suppose have footwork, but he was more doing bash em up, to be fair hes rarely in space.. anyway.. obviously its a much better side if Marschke, MMolo, Fifita, Mulheissen, BMM are dropping back also.

But that big hole of backs behind 1st grade.. this is where its apparent.. the bears are loaded with them, but we still have 2xFeagais and the Glover/Ralph combo which is sort of very average... we can win games if we hold the ball mind you.. but thats unlikely to happen at cup level.. but its what we need to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts