What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

blue bags

First Grade
Pleads the fifth
Pleads for forgiveness mercy
What should he get ?
Suspension. Means the Rooster's team is punished. Why should the whole roosters team . Coaches. Franchise. Miss out by not having him available. It's an individual big mouth offence. It's his mouth fuilt. Brain Snap
Or a big fines. And some education ?
What should be the punishment ?

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Juniors
Pleads the fifth
What should he get ?
Suspension. Means the Rooster's team is punished. Why should the whole roosters team . Coaches. Franchise. Miss out by not having him available. It's an individual big mouth offence. It's his mouth fuilt. Brain Snap
I'm all for punishing the roosters at every available opportunity

Pleads the fifth
What should he get ?
8 weeks. 4 weeks for the offence, another 4 for carrying it on after the game (interview comments and confronting Mam after the game).

Fangs

Coach
Garner v Hosking.

Garner has the first grade XP. Shown he can cover centre. But I liked what I saw from Hosking last year.

I imagine both are on similar money. I wonder who will be the better player by years end.

martielang

Bench
Garner v Hosking.

Garner has the first grade XP. Shown he can cover centre. But I liked what I saw from Hosking last year.

I imagine both are on similar money. I wonder who will be the better player by years end.

I’d like to see Garner get a consistent run of games starting in the backrow. I reckon he’ll offer us another attacking weapon with his line running. Sorro off the bench.

His 20mins in the GF last year are hugely underrated I reckon.

age.s

First Grade
There isn't a huge amount in it, but I'd prefer Hosking over Garner. Runs decent lines himself and strikes me as overall tougher. Was really impressive last night for the most part and reckon our conditioning would have had him making tackles through to the 80th minute.

Goonji

Juniors
Pleads the fifth
What should he get ?

You could put up the same argument for any number of players who have done things indiviidually (on or off the field) which result in lengthy suspensions, impacting on the club as a whole.

soc123_au

Staff member
There isn't a huge amount in it, but I'd prefer Hosking over Garner. Runs decent lines himself and strikes me as overall tougher. Was really impressive last night for the most part and reckon our conditioning would have had him making tackles through to the 80th minute.
Garner is better cover as a center. I'd say that what it comes down to.

blue bags

First Grade
You could put up the same argument for any number of players who have done things indiviidually (on or off the field) which result in lengthy suspensions, impacting on the club as a whole.
Yes. Could come down to the management. Coaching staff of the team. Rooster's
Need better education classes on what's right and what's wrong. Don't drag the club down as a whole. Cause of individuals big mouth
Another old saying. Loose lips sinks ships
🤔

MugaB

Coach
Yes. Could come down to the management. Coaching staff of the team. Rooster's
Need better education classes on what's right and what's wrong. Don't drag the club down as a whole. Cause of individuals big mouth
Another old saying. Loose lips sinks ships
🤔
Squid game seems to disagree with you captain tedesco

Fangs

Coach
8 weeks makes sense. Since most old school players/media have said 4-6 and the indigenous players wanted 12. So the NRL split it down the middle.

Not really how it should work but that's the way it goes.

Bred not Bought

Juniors

‘Always had my doubts’: Legend ‘still not convinced’ Bulldogs star Burton is a five-eighth​

Darcie McDonald from Fox Sports

@darciemcdonald
March 12th, 2024 1:02 pm
Legendary playmaker Greg Alexander has admitted he’s “always had doubts” over whether Bulldogs star Matt Burton is best suited to five-eighth.
Burton has just kicked off his third season with the Bulldogs and a disappointing team performance in Round 1 has sparked a conversation around how the 23-year-old is best used.
The Dubbo product found a home in the centres at the Panthers. He won a premiership in that position and earned a spot in the Dally M Team of the Year too.
But his desire to play five-eighth led him to the Bulldogs.

All of his 48 games for the club have been in the halves — 40 at five-eighth and eight at halfback — but he’s represented New South Wales twice at centre and has played once for the Kangaroos there too.

Matty Johns said on Sunday night that if he were coach Cameron Ciraldo he’d “be putting Burton to left centre” to “really stimulate his running game and really get him going because he is an incredible runner.”

Alexander, who played over 200 games in the halves, agrees with Johns and while dissecting Round 1 on the Fox League Podcast he said that Burton’s attributes fit the mould of a centre perfectly.
“When Matt was centre at Penrith he was one of the best centres in the game and I’ve always had my doubts about him being as effective in the six jersey,” he said.

“That’s not just from looking at him on the weekend against the Eels it’s sampling his footy over the last couple of years.

“I’m still not convinced (that he’s a better five-eighth than centre). I don’t know if he talks enough and commands the ball enough to be a six or a genuine half that’s always in the game

“I think ‘Burto’ is a great hole-runner, he’s big tall and fast. I think centre suits him down to the ground.

“Maybe him and Stephen Crichton on either side and someone else in the six jersey. Let’s throw Toby Sexton in at seven and Drew Hutchison at six and see what they can do with ‘Burto’ in the centres.”

The Bulldogs will have to reshuffle their backline for Round 2 after star winger Josh Addo-Carr suffered a shoulder injury. However the chances of Burton being involved in that reshuffle are slim to none — especially given he’s publicly declared he wants to continue playing five-eighth.

The Bulldogs have made some major recruitment moves over the last few years by luring Penrith premiership-winners in Burton, Crichton and Viliame Kikau to Belmore as well as Addo-Carr and elite hooker Reed Mahoney.

But the team is yet to live up to expectations.

Alexander believes “there won’t be many changes” after just one game but can’t see Ciraldo waiting too long before pulling the trigger.

“If they don’t click soon, there’s not that much of a honeymoon for the players because they’ve got options, they’ve got players that can play in a number of positions... I don’t think he’ll hang on for too long,” he said.