What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji's bid for 18th NRL license

Brian potter

Bench
Everyone is acting like NZ2 is a cert, but there remains the big question of finance and we don`t seem to hearing much about that. Talking about fan-funding doesn`t exactly fill me with confidence either.
There is no way the NRL are going to let a club in that has neither assets or strong financial backing, the last thing they want is a club scrapping by on the bones of its` arse.
I agree but money aside it’s a no-brainer.

let’s hope they get some credible investment.

jim_57

Staff member
You never know if you don’t try I guess and the more competition for bids the better. Having bids from 4 different countries is a nice fun fact if nothing else, I’d expect to see a V’landys media brag come from it. Just need a Bears link with Honolulu or Manila now to make it a cool 5.

It would be good to see Fiji have teams in all the NSW Comps junior comps eventually, would need external funding obviously.

You never know if you don’t try I guess and the more competition for bids the better. Having bids from 4 different countries is a nice fun fact if nothing else, I’d expect to see a V’landys media brag come from it. Just need a Bears link with Honolulu or Manila now to make it a cool 5.

It would be good to see Fiji have teams in all the NSW Comps junior comps eventually, would need external funding obviously.
Just wait until Singapore and Hong Kong enter the conversation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd laugh my guts out if NRL introduced Brisbane 3 in southern Brisbane and AwFuL introduced Perth 3 in Joondalup.

Fox League should print a news story about it on April 1st to see if he bites.
I can’t wait till perth gets in and Logan doesn’t so you f**k off and quit following the game like you’ve promised lol

blue bags

First Grade
Press Release from Fijian Government

Cabinet agreed that Rugby League Bid (Fiji) Limited facilitate the bid to secure a licence to enter the Australian National Rugby League (NRL) premiership competition with men and women rugby league teams in the 18th extension franchise.

A successful bid would mean significant player opportunities and extensive profiling of Fiji that will bring major positive economic and social benefits for Fiji.

Cabinet also approved an official endorsement of the bid by Rugby League Bid (Fiji) Limited to be conveyed to the Australian Rugby League Commission by the Minister for Youth & Sports.

Cabinet also approved a 200% tax rebate to sponsors for Rugby League Bid (Fiji) Limited as currently awarded to sponsors of the Fijian Drua to be considered through the 2024 - 2025 Budget process.
This is an excellent back door for Chinese money to pay NRL franchiseee
😊

Perth Red

Post Whore
The government of Fiji officially entered the race to be the NRL's 18th franchise on Wednesday.

Bid director Bev Broughton - the widow of legendary league official Paul Broughton - personally visited the NRL to deliver a Fiji letter endorsing the bid.

The Fiji bid now shapes as a major rival to Papua New Guinea as the NRL's much-anticipated 18th franchise.

"This has been a long time in the making and it was a proud moment for Fiji to officially deliver the notification to Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo at the NRL," Broughton told Wide World of Sports.

"The cabinet approved the bid unanimously and the people of Fiji are desperate to be part of the NRL.

"It was great to get the support of the prime minister, the head of state, all the cabinet ministers, especially the minister for youth and sports, Mr Jese Saukuru.

"We already have great infrastructure, the government has approved a 200 per cent tax rebate for sponsors and as everyone knows, the Fijians are tremendous athletes who know how to play rugby league.

"The game is taught in schools and Fiji already has a team in the Jersey Flegg Cup.

"Most significantly, Fiji is a much loved destination for Australians and we can see fans coming over here for a holiday when their team plays here, much like they did in Las Vegas.

"We are well organised and we are ready to go."

Broughton knows what it takes to get an NRL franchise up and running - along with husband Paul she was instrumental in getting a rugby league club on the Gold Coast in the mid-2000s.

The bid will host an official launch in the Fijian capital of Suva in coming weeks and will invite Vlandys, Abdo, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and a host of dignitaries.

RedVee

First Grade
The government of Fiji officially entered the race to be the NRL's 18th franchise on Wednesday.

Bid director Bev Broughton - the widow of legendary league official Paul Broughton - personally visited the NRL to deliver a Fiji letter endorsing the bid.

The Fiji bid now shapes as a major rival to Papua New Guinea as the NRL's much-anticipated 18th franchise.

"This has been a long time in the making and it was a proud moment for Fiji to officially deliver the notification to Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo at the NRL," Broughton told Wide World of Sports.

"The cabinet approved the bid unanimously and the people of Fiji are desperate to be part of the NRL.

"It was great to get the support of the prime minister, the head of state, all the cabinet ministers, especially the minister for youth and sports, Mr Jese Saukuru.

"We already have great infrastructure, the government has approved a 200 per cent tax rebate for sponsors and as everyone knows, the Fijians are tremendous athletes who know how to play rugby league.

"The game is taught in schools and Fiji already has a team in the Jersey Flegg Cup.

"Most significantly, Fiji is a much loved destination for Australians and we can see fans coming over here for a holiday when their team plays here, much like they did in Las Vegas.

"We are well organised and we are ready to go."

Broughton knows what it takes to get an NRL franchise up and running - along with husband Paul she was instrumental in getting a rugby league club on the Gold Coast in the mid-2000s.

The bid will host an official launch in the Fijian capital of Suva in coming weeks and will invite Vlandys, Abdo, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and a host of dignitaries.

So now we know why Fiji Air were involved with the Las Vegas event. How does Fiji Jets sponsored by Fiji Air sound?

So now we know why Fiji Air were involved with the Las Vegas event. How does Fiji Jets sponsored by Fiji Air sound?
I'd laugh my guts out if we ended up with the Port Moresby Bears and Suva Jets. The meltdown on here would be more entertaining than any movie that's been created in the last 25 years.