What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji's bid for 18th NRL license

yakstorm

First Grade
Hadn't seen anything about this story till I went over to Fiji, but this was in the Fiji Sun last week:

Fiji’s NRL Bid Boost

Government is expected to strengthen the country’s sports tourism sector by endorsing Fiji’s bid to be the 18th franchise club in Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) in 2026.

The Cabinet was supposed to decide on the matter on Tuesday, but it was deferred due to the Parliamentary session. The Cabinet meeting is supposed to meet next week and a decision to be made then.

Top Government officials, approached by SUNsports, spoke of huge economic benefits through sports tourism and the much-improved infrastructure if a Fiji NRL club is able to play in the NRL. In an earlier interview,

Minister for the Youth and Sports Jese Saukuru said the paper on Fiji’s NRL bid was still going through Government’s vetting process. According to sources, the paper has been vetted by the Fiji Revenue Customs Services, Ministry of Finance, Office of the Solicitor General and the Cabinet Sub Committee.

The model with 49 per cent ownership by the Fiji National Rugby League, is similar to the Fijian Drua, which is currently playing in the Super Rugby Pacific.
It is believed the proposed paper indicates that the Fiji’s NRL franchise club will be based in the country with the players, coaches and management to be paid in Australian dollars.

The Fiji franchise could bring over 17 home matches compared to the seven Super Rugby home games by the Drua.
Here are what our country’s leaders had to say.

Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka:
“That should come through the administration of the (rugby) league, they have not presented to me, but they will follow their own procedures.

“My general thought does not count in this matter because I’m the Life Member of (FNRL) rugby league and that I should not interfere with proper processes.”

Deputy PM and Minister for Finance Biman Prasad:
“It is good for the country economically, it brings a lot of exposure and it creates economic activity and wealth for our people.”

Deputy PM and Minister for Tourism Viliame Gavoka:
“It will certainly be a great exposure as far as tourism is concern.”

Deputy PM and Minister for Trade Manoa Kamikamica:
“I know there is a big interest in the NRL.

“If it comes, it is a welcome development for Fiji.”

Canard

Immortal
Fiji makes much more sense than PNG, in terms of ready to go playing talent, and just the sheer numbers of Fijians who have gone on to play NRL in the last decade.

The problem for them, is how it will be funded outside of the NRL grant.

There GDP per Capita is also about 6 times that of PNG, so there is more potential for people to buy tickets, merchandise etc. but nowhere near that of an Australian or NZ team.

Iamback

Coach
If developing playing talent is the sole driver (which no bid should be based solely on), then they are light years ahead of PNG, for example.

PNG has been poorly developed for a while, We will see that side of them improve over the next 5-10 years with or without an NRL team

Fiji have a Super Rugby team, Not sure that population can support 2 professional clubs.

Their Jersey Flegg team should feed in some where with a few games over there

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thats out of left field! As mentioned biggest issue will be funding. Dont Dura only survive as Australia Govt gives them millions? I guess if PNG is deemed too hard by NRL they could ask the Govt to pivot the first grade funding to Fiji instead and keep the grassroots funding in PNG happening?

Canard

Immortal
Thats out of left field! As mentioned biggest issue will be funding. Dont Dura only survive as Australia Govt gives them millions? I guess if PNG is deemed too hard by NRL they could ask the Govt to pivot the first grade funding to Fiji instead and keep the grassroots funding in PNG happening?
All the Fijians need to do is start making(more?) overtures to China

MugaB

Coach
They wont get the 18th, but they are probably a better country suited to expansion, in regards to all the P.I. island countries maybe this will end up the pacifika bid abdo has always wanted its smack bang in the middle of the Pacific geographically, new Caledonia and Vanuatu to the west, samoa, tonga on its east