What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
You`re a hard marker Teach, an F used to be 49 % and you jump straight to a C at 88 %. What`s in between.:sweat:
This mark is just for the stadium members. The rest of the crowd are legends, the stadium members are just constantly disappointing.

There are approx 8.5k membership/corporate seats and 44k seats for the general public. I expect that the general public will contribute approx 40k tonight (reduced capacity due to GA areas) the rest of the crowd will be made up by the members, so lets look at 44k meaning that 50% of the members have shown.

Billythekid

First Grade
You're right. Honestly, I no longer give a crap about fairness. You will never get fairness in a competition where everyone doesn't play each other the same amount of times. And even if you try, someone will complain about it. It will always be uneven. But what you can do is create a draw and stadium allocation plan that maximises audience interest.

And yes you're right, with reciprocal membership access - Dragons vs Roosters, Dragons vs Tigers, Dragons vs Rabbitohs - they're all 25k (or more) games at the SFS. Similar will happen when Rabbitohs and Tigers shift games there too. And at that point the NRL season crowd averages will remain in the 20k's regardless of team performances.
Fairness is impossible to achieve. Even if you had the exact perfect draw faced everyone the same amount etc there are still so many factors to consider. Injuries, SOO players, whether you’re facing teams at the start or end of the season etc.

Let’s be really for a second any team who is remotely a chance at winning the comp will be making the finals regardless of a slightly unbalanced draw.

Also something that can’t be stated enough is that crowds will have a positive impact on ratings. The TV experience is also vastly improved by big crowds. A focus on bigger crowds at the gate will also pay off for the TV networks IMO.

taste2taste

Juniors
Also something that can’t be stated enough is that crowds will have a positive impact on ratings. The TV experience is also vastly improved by big crowds. A focus on bigger crowds at the gate will also pay off for the TV networks IMO.
110% correct. If casual fans feel like they are watching an event they'll stay tuned in, a full stadium, even if it's only 11k at a sold out cronulla is better than 20k in a 30% full Accor stadium.

Half empty stadiums look awful on TV, casuals get the impression its a nothing game so what's the piont of watching.

jim_57

Staff member
Ticket sales for Titans v Dolphins look dismal. I was pretty surprised how well their crowds have held up the last few years (particularly the end of the last year) despite being dogshit for their entire existence outside 1 or 2 good seasons.

Looks like the fanbase have finally given up on them.

This game should be pushing 20k every year. Hopefully Des can get them firing and quickly.

Brian potter

Bench
Are the bulldogs a sleeping giant?

if they could somehow get their own ground with a capacity of around 25-30k would they more or less regularly fill it when running well?

final say

Juniors
Are the bulldogs a sleeping giant?

if they could somehow get their own ground with a capacity of around 25-30k would they more or less regularly fill it when running well?
I think there was an idea floated a while back that they were looking at 35k new stadium site around Liverpool I think that the Tigers and Bulldogs could share. I liked it but there be no follow-up. Just redeveloping suburban grounds.

Brian potter

Bench
I think there was an idea floated a while back that they were looking at 35k new stadium site around Liverpool I think that the Tigers and Bulldogs could share. I liked it but there be no follow-up. Just redeveloping suburban grounds.
I’d rather have one world class stadium of 30k+ for 2 teams to share rather than lipstick on a pig redevelop suburban grounds.

DIOGENES

Juniors
A long history - 20 years ago the Bulldogs proposed the Oasis development. The man who is accused of promising to get it through the bureaucracy for a consideration of a mere $1M is still in gaol, but for other reasons:

There was another attempt about 10 years ago for half a billion

I think they are still talking with Council about it

final say

Juniors
I’d rather have one world class stadium of 30k+ for 2 teams to share rather than lipstick on a pig redevelop suburban grounds.
I agree. Walking to Leichardt and watching a game on the hill or Belmore is like a 100 year old tradition and very cool thing to experience..history. so 1 game a year each at those grounds would be the perfect balance imo. Preserve some history but let's live in 2024