What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

I clicked on the "Show ignored content" to see what MugaB was responding to. Six dumb posts from Canard appeared. This bloke is still obsessively following me around and posting dumb shit, despite the fact I've had him on ignore for more than half a year.

mongoose

Coach
I clicked on the "Show ignored content" to see what MugaB was responding to. Six dumb posts from Canard appeared. This bloke is still obsessively following me around and posting dumb shit, despite the fact I've had him on ignore for more than half a year.
he is right though, you need to stop baiting Perth Red in every thread.

Dragonwest

Juniors
He has a point.

A PNG club doesn't need to worry about ticketing, membership, merchandise, sponsorship and corporate when it is funded by the Aus and PNG Gov.

You can argue it's a waste of money and destined to fail when the funding dries up.

If we're going to judge the 18th licence by revenue from football operations then why focus on what the smallest clubs generate?

Cowboys generated $24m from football operations in 2023, despite not making the finals.

Does that mean a Perth-based club needs to generate $24m a year from football operations to gain a licence?

Perth will need a lot of money to compete with the bigger clubs in a hostile market.
If your 100% reliant on government funding to make the model work then your one change of government away from a failed club ...

Perth Red

Post Whore
A Perth-based NRL clhb will need to generate significantly more revenue than a mid-sized club because it will have to invest heavily on juniors.

In 2019, the last full rugby league calendar year before COVID-19 interrupted the development programs, the Panthers spent $17.06 million on its football programs, from the Harold Matthews right through to the NRL.​
For players from the club’s Harold Matthews, SG Ball, Jersey Flegg, NSW Cup, Tarsha Gale, NRL and development squads, the Panthers spent a combined:​
  • $12.5 million on wages
  • $1.1 million on medical costs and health fund premiums
  • $450,000 on clothing
  • $236,000 on travel costs
  • $260,000 on housing allowances
  • $220,000 on meals and entertainment
  • $180,000 on tertiary education allowances
The Panthers lost $50 million over a decade trying to sustain the club’s rugby league program. However, in recent years, as home-grown talents such as Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai and Stephen Crichton have come through the grades, the tide has turned.​

A Perth-based club will spend far more on travel and accommodation for its junior teams. You're probably looking at a couple of million flying U16s, U18s, U20s and NSW Cup players to and from Sydney.

The NRLWA doesn't have the same callibre of juniors within its junior leagues as the likes of Auckland, Penrith and Brisbane.

If a Perth-based team operates on a similar budget to the Wests Tigers then it will be anchored to the bottom of the table.
I see youve managed to turn a discussion on PNG viability to perth, again lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
If your 100% reliant on government funding to make the model work then your one change of government away from a failed club ...
Thats really the biggie, along with how on earth do you build a competitive team in first ten years.
I dont think anyone thinks a PNG club wouldnt be amazing, wouldnt be amazing for their country and wouldnt be amazing for player development in that country.
But if its sole existence relies on Aus govt not changing its policy or overseas budget spending ever then its on incredibly thin ice from day 1. Someone needs to ask Vlandys the hard questions and see what plans they have for long term sustainability of a PNG club. The chances of them being able to generate the $15-20mill FC revenue needed seems slim to none.

he is right though, you need to stop baiting Perth Red in every thread.
Hasn't he spent the last six months doing the very thing he accuses me of doing in every thread, despite the fact I have the idiot on ignore?

On this page alone there's six dumb posts by him, with many aimed at me. If he is so concerned about threads being clogged up with irrelevant shit posting then he needs to stop doing the thing he's whinging about.

Thats really the biggie, along with how on earth do you build a competitive team in first ten years.
I dont think anyone thinks a PNG club wouldnt be amazing, wouldnt be amazing for their country and wouldnt be amazing for player development in that country.
But if its sole existence relies on Aus govt not changing its policy or overseas budget spending ever then its on incredibly thin ice from day 1. Someone needs to ask Vlandys the hard questions and see what plans they have for long term sustainability of a PNG club. The chances of them being able to generate the $15-20mill FC revenue needed seems slim to none.
If the 18th team needs to generate $15-20m from football operations then there's only one viable candidate. Brisbane Tigers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the 18th team needs to generate $15-20m from football operations then there's only one viable candidate. Brisbane Tigers.
Thats impossible to say without knowing what the other bid location business cases are. I think we can confidently say that Fiji and PNG would struggle. Perth and Christchurch Id expect either to be in the $12-15mill range comfortably.

This last years club fc revenue (change from 2022 in brackets)

1712033714958.png

If you look at Bulldogs, $15.5mill FC revenue on very low merch sales, avg crowd of around 16k and a membership under 20k.

Last edited:
Thats impossible to say without knowing what the other bid location business cases are. I think we can confidently say that Fiji and PNG would struggle. Perth and Christchurch Id expect either to be in the $12-15mill range comfortably.

This last years club fc revenue (change from 2022 in brackets)

View attachment 86031

If you look at Bulldogs, $15.5mill FC revenue on very low merch sales, avg crowd of around 16k and a membership under 20k.
Will NZ2 be able to generate $15m from football operations?

The Warriors went bust when they had the entire country to themselves.

NZ2 does provide players and content for the NZ broadcasters. I think the key for them will be how much money they generate from the NZ component of the broadcast rights.

We all know PNG and Fiji have no capability of generating $15m from football operations. They'll rely on a finamcier, whether it be a private businessmen or the Gov. They can provide players, but offer no value to the broadcasters. Political instability has plagued both countries for decades.

If it comes down to financial stability then it's a one horse race led by the bid you hate with a passion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will NZ2 be able to generate $15m from football operations?

The Warriors went bust when they had the entire country to themselves.

NZ2 does provide players and content for the NZ broadcasters. I think the key for them will be how much money they generate from the NZ component of the broadcast rights.

We all know PNG and Fiji have no capability of generating $15m from football operations. They'll rely on a finamcier, whether it be a private businessmen or the Gov. They can provide players, but offer no value to the broadcasters. Political instability has plagued both countries for decades.

If it comes down to financial stability then it's a one horse race led by the bid you hate with a passion.
Corporates and sponsors are obviously key. They make up about 65% of FC revenue. Im sure the NRL will be doing its due diligence about level of likely corporate support for any potential new club. I think fanbase revenue Perth and Christchurch will be fine. 20kmembers and 15-17k crowds are very attainable for NRL these days.

Brisbane3 unlikely to happen, not due to FC revenue potential, but other critical factors. Hate the bid? I thought they should have got club 17 spot lol. Im just reading the writing on the wall, which is they wont want another team in Brisbane for many years to come. Easts themselves know it, hence the 'Qlnd' Firehawks playing in regional qlnd nonsense. Their best bet is PNG doesnt happen then they may get club 20 spot in a decade or so.

NRL will be looking for two things Id suggest, ability to generate revenue and financial backing if it is needed for rainy days. Without that its hard to see anyone, other than PNG crazily, getting in.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach

Watch out, certain people don't like when you point out the realities of the situation and call you a union/afl troll.

Corporates and sponsors are obviously key. They make up about 65% of FC revenue. Im sure the NRL will be doing its due diligence about level of likely corporate support for any potential new club. I think fanbase revenue Perth and Christchurch will be fine. 20kmembers and 15-17k crowds are very attainable for NRL these days.

We don't know how much money Perth and Christchurch can generate from sponsorship and corporate hospitality.

Brisbane3 unlikely to happen, not due to FC revenue potential, but other critical factors. Hate the bid? I thought they should have got club 17 spot lol. Im just reading the writing on the wall, which is they wont want another team in Brisbane for many years to come. Easts themselves know it, hence the 'Qlnd' Firehawks playing in regional qlnd nonsense. Their best bet is PNG doesnt happen then they may get club 20 spot in a decade or so.

Shane Richardson spoke about "Queensland Firehawks" in an interview with James Graham. He's wasn't the Brisbane Tigers NRL Bid Chairman when he made the comment. He wasn't even at the launch of the club's bid in May. The club's website makes no mention of "Queensland Firehawks".

Richardson's comment about "Queensland Firehawks" during an interview with James Graham doesn't mean the club believes they're no hope of getting a licence as a Brisbane team. I wouldn't take Richardson's comment too seriously, TBH. He was talking about the Firehawks being a national brand that represented more than Brisbane all the way back in 2021 before the Dolphins got the 17th licence. He says a lot of bizarre things.

None of us know what the NRL want. No one on here predicted PNG to be the leading contender for the 18th licence. V'landys has some quirky ways and likes to think outside of the box.

NRL will be looking for two things Id suggest, ability to generate revenue and financial backing if it is needed for rainy days. Without that its hard to see anyone, other than PNG crazily, getting in.

That's assuming the Gov is still willing to fund it. Polls aren't too good for Albo ATM. Cost of living is killing the Gov. We've just seen Queensland Labor back flip on its stadium plan due to discontent from the public during an election year.

If PNG doesn't get the funding then there's only one location in the world that has the financial clout to hold the 18th licence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We don't know how much money Perth and Christchurch can generate from sponsorship and corporate hospitality.

Shane Richardson spoke about "Queensland Firehawks" in an interview with James Graham. He's wasn't the Brisbane Tigers NRL Bid Chairman when he made the comment. He wasn't even at the launch of the club's bid in May. The club's website makes no mention of "Queensland Firehawks".

Richardson's comment about "Queensland Firehawks" during an interview with James Graham doesn't mean the club believes they're no hope of getting a licence as a Brisbane team. I wouldn't take Richardson's comment too seriously, TBH. He was talking about the Firehawks being a national brand that represented more than Brisbane all the way back in 2021 before the Dolphins got the 17th licence. He says a lot of bizarre things.

None of us know what the NRL want. No one on here predicted PNG to be the leading contender for the 18th licence. V'landys has some quirky ways and likes to think outside of the box.

That's assuming the Gov is still willing to fund it. Polls aren't too good for Albo ATM. Cost of living is killing the Gov. We've just seen Queensland Labor back flip on its stadium plan due to discontent from the public during an election year.

If PNG doesn't get the funding then there's only one location in the world that has the financial clout to hold the 18th licence.
Thats why the NRl wants a business case for any bid, and probably a bank/Govt surety like they did the Dolphins.

yeh lets just ignore someone who was leading the bid development lol

that is true, we mere mortals can but speculate and make informed guesses.

Thats why the NRl wants a business case for any bid, and probably a bank/Govt surety like they did the Dolphins.

yeh lets just ignore someone who was leading the bid development lol

that is true, we mere mortals can but speculate and make informed guesses.
He wasn't at the bid launch and wasn't mentioned in the press release from May 2023.

I did, i said the next team would be PNG..
(Yeah you know me!!!)
Do you think V'landys is serious about them getting a licence?

I honestly don't know how to read V'landys. He makes a lot of over-the-top statements to generate media coverage. For all we know he could be playing the media at their own game.

Part of me wants PNG to get a team for the joy it'll bring to Papuans. The other part of me thinks it will be wrong because it will deprive a bid which has invested time and money to build the infrastructure needed to excel in the NRL.

To further complicate my position on this matter, I believe that putting a team in Perth ahead of Brisbane 3 or PNG is affirmative action on steroids. Perth hasn't paid its dues in the second tier of the rugby league pyramid and will be reliant on Queensland, NSW and NZ for decades. The NRLWA, WA Gov and unnamed businessmen have sat on their arse and done sweet f**k all for the game, yet here they are demanding a licence because they think it will be good for the WA economy.

PNG and Brisbane Tigers have built their case in the Queensland Cup.

At both ends.

who’s to say a future PNG government wouldn’t take up Beijing’s offer of infrastructure development ?
I wouldn't put it past them.

The whole thing has the potential to blow up big time on V'landys and Albo.

The best scenario is to get more aid put into PNG's rugby league system to get more people playing the game. Build more fields and provide the equipment needed to get more people playing the game at a formal level. It'll be significantly cheaper than running an NRL team and produce better results for Papuans.

Brian potter

Bench
I wouldn't put it past them.

The whole thing has the potential to blow up big time on V'landys and Albo.

The best scenario is to get more aid put into PNG's rugby league system to get more people playing the game. Build more fields and provide the equipment needed to get more people playing the game at a formal level. It'll be significantly cheaper than running an NRL team and produce better results for Papuans.
Let’s be honest here and admit that Chinese investment into PNG would be more beneficial to the country and its people than a professional sporting franchise will ever be.