What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Sifa Talakai point of difference

Frenzy.

Immortal
Have re watched Souths game and Cows game and have noted a POD Sifa brings to being an edge player. For me he's been quietish since the switch but I understand it's a different gig with different demands and it will/would take time for him to get used to.

However, it's a rare thing to have second rower with the ability to back up middle breaks like he has been doing. He has the speed to do it. Our other seconds run the traditional outside ins and courage lines and back up on the outside of the play unles they are turned under. Sifa is hunting the middle. Could be a good thing if he stays where he is. Could be a very good thing in 2025 if he runs off his cuzzie

Last edited:

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yep agree with all that....give it time. Think that's why Fitz has greatly reduced his minutes to allow him to adjust. Other advantage of Sifa in the pigs or off the bench is the cover for the backs. Allows us to play 4 forwards on the bench

dinghydi

Juniors
Have re watched Souths game and Cows game and have noted a POD Sifa brings to being an edge player. For me he's been quietish since the switch but I understand it's a different gig with different demands and it will/would take time for him to get used to.

However, it's a rare thing to have second rower with the ability to back up middle breaks like he has been doing. He has the speed to do it. Our other seconds run the traditional outside ins and courage lines and back up on the outside of the play unles they are turned under. Sifa is hunting the middle. Could be a good thing if he stays where he is. Could be a very good thing in 2025 if he runs off his cuzzie
That answers some Questions Ive been pondering . I did wonder why he didn't go back to centre for game against Cowgirls even with Iro going well.

Another point of difference with Sifa on the bench,
What to do with Finucane?
That spot on the bench would probably be his if Iro hadn't come up to the plate as well as he has.
We now have to have Sifa there.
For the best of the team I now cannot see where Finucane takes anyone's spot unless there is an injury.

Chimp

Bench
I was originally of the view our best 17 has Sifa in the centres and Iro out of the team - I now believe the 17 we went with this week is almost our top 17. With just 1 the place up for grabs between Hunt, Dale and OK if all are fit.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I was originally of the view our best 17 has Sifa in the centres and Iro out of the team - I now believe the 17 we went with this week is almost our top 17. With just 1 the place up for grabs between Hunt, Dale and OK if all are fit.
So was I Chimp. It's just that whether by design or consequence I see advantages to sticking with him and Iro in the team, somehow. Like BBB I don't see where DF fits in but do think CF will try.

What a test of character for whomever makes way for DF huh?

chewsta

First Grade
What is happening with Dale? I don't recall seeing him in any footage from yesterday, before, during or after the game in the sheds. Im sure he was there somewhere. Did he end up with a facial fracture?

Stake Removed

First Grade
During post game interview some reporter asked about Hunt being back but not DF.
It would come with no shock if either out of blue he retires or we here he moves to another club

When it comes to player moves the quieter it is more likely it will happen

Frenzy.

Immortal
What is happening with Dale? I don't recall seeing him in any footage from yesterday, before, during or after the game in the sheds. Im sure he was there somewhere. Did he end up with a facial fracture?
Yes. Eye socket. Here.

Fitz indicated in presser that all players are close to being right. Hunt played yesterday. Df could be right by next weekend. I doubt Fitz was including Colqhuoun

Craigshark

First Grade
DF has dropped back to next man up I reckon, for the forwards anyway. They won’t name him on the extended bench out of respect.

chewsta

First Grade
Yes. Eye socket. Here.

Fitz indicated in presser that all players are close to being right. Hunt played yesterday. Df could be right by next weekend. I doubt Fitz was including Colqhuoun
Thanks mate.
Shit eh Colqhuoun, completely forgot about him. Another one that would have strongly challenged for that last bench spot.

Chimp

Bench
DF has dropped back to next man up I reckon, for the forwards anyway. They won’t name him on the extended bench out of respect.
Would be a risk not naming him on extended bench - as what happens if you get a couple of training injuries late in the week.

Chimp

Bench
Thanks mate.
Shit eh Colqhuoun, completely forgot about him. Another one that would have strongly challenged for that last bench spot.
Sadly, as much as I like JC, I have a feeling he could have missed the boat, especially if Williams re-signs.
Whilst I like JC, when he’s come in, he hasn’t done what Iro and Tommy have done - they’ve almost made themselves undroppable, or they’ve at least made it so that the coach would feel harsh taking them out of the team. JC has been serviceable, but not really noticeable in his first grade games. With such a strong pack, he’s definitely going to be reliant on injuries to get a look in. Next time he does get a game, I feel he needs to brain it to have a chance of keeping a regular spot.

azzah72

Bench
I actu
I actually saw him before the game wandering around the shopping centre.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Sadly, as much as I like JC, I have a feeling he could have missed the boat, especially if Williams re-signs.
Whilst I like JC, when he’s come in, he hasn’t done what Iro and Tommy have done - they’ve almost made themselves undroppable, or they’ve at least made it so that the coach would feel harsh taking them out of the team. JC has been serviceable, but not really noticeable in his first grade games. With such a strong pack, he’s definitely going to be reliant on injuries to get a look in. Next time he does get a game, I feel he needs to brain it to have a chance of keeping a regular spot.
As much as I see sense in this post it raises a bugbear with me.

Forwards develop WAY slower than backs. Backs can come in, stand out wide, run fast, step and be spectacular with highlight moments galore. That often happens around a million little and sometimes big errors which are forgiven because of the flash in the pan stuff. Backs get cult status far too easily. Not many forwards do. Not many at all. So do the odd forwards i.e. Tommy. He had it after one run.

Forwards have a different set of challenges to meet and it's hard. Real hard. They have less highlights and can be tradesmanlike for years before they start to show the necessary endurance, strength, skills, concentration etc etc to be even considered "good". Jesse was NMU for this year. That's pretty much a fact. He's only 22. He has 2 years to run. He's years away from being a starter, barring injury (to him and or others) but he's at that next step of development.

This baby, Colqhuoun, will not be thrown out with the bathwater.

The Sharks have some very good problems coming their way at the selection table. In a good place but have to try and keep every one of the building blocks that have been getting developed for the last 2 and a bit years.

IMNHO

Latest posts