What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Topine sues Bulldogs

King hit

Coach
Some posters in this thread must think actresses should have been grateful that Harvey Weinstein offered them the chance to sleep with him in return for getting a part.

Hazing and bullying has no place in the modern workplace, not even (gasp!) sports. Time to drag some dinosaurs into the current century.
I will never forget the response from Hollywood. They were so defensive about it saying ‘we had no idea that wonderful man could’ve done such a thing’ then all the stories came out that those same people knew the whole time.

Meryl Streep being some women advocate but covering for him? gross bitch

King hit

Coach
I also think Braith Anasta opinion is meaningless.

He is carrying water for his former club and hasn't played in a decade. The fact that he went to hysterics(this could bring the whole game down), does him a disservice.
He willingly sits on a panel with Paul C unt. Anyone who sits on a panel with him has no credentials whatsoever

Iamback

Coach
I will never forget the response from Hollywood. They were so defensive about it saying ‘we had no idea that wonderful man could’ve done such a thing’ then all the stories came out that those same people knew the whole time.

Meryl Streep being some women advocate but covering for him? gross bitch

Funny that could be the outcome here. Players from 10-15 years ago saying Topine is soft when in fact it could just be standards have moved and left some people behind

Apey

Staff member
If you think being made to repeat wrestling drill is any tougher than running laps you haven’t run a hard lap in your life. I reckon if you gave the option to the NRL playing group to either wrestle their 30 man squad or run 30 x 400m repeats (both would equate to 30 x 1 min efforts or thereabouts) few would take up the running option.
You missed the point. It's not about what is 'tougher'. The entire point is that the guy alleges he was demeaned and bullied by his employer due to the nature of his punishment. That's really not something that's ever going to apply to simply running laps. They're not even remotely comparable.

The implication in this thread that because rugby league is a tough sport you can't be demeaned is nonsense, really.

I'm not saying his version of events are necessarily an honest representation of them. It's interesting that we have several players talking about issues with the same club, though. We haven't heard any complaints from people who simply couldn't cut it at other clubs who you would expect to be quite ruthless in their training.

I don't expect him to win this case in court. It's largely going to be his word against an entire club. No current player is going to go into bat for him even if his story is true.

Wizardman

First Grade
You missed the point. It's not about what is 'tougher'. The entire point is that the guy alleges he was demeaned and bullied by his employer due to the nature of his punishment. That's really not something that's ever going to apply to simply running laps. They're not even remotely comparable.

The implication in this thread that because rugby league is a tough sport you can't be demeaned is nonsense, really.

I'm not saying his version of events are necessarily an honest representation of them. It's interesting that we have several players talking about issues with the same club, though. We haven't heard any complaints from people who simply couldn't cut it at other clubs who you would expect to be quite ruthless in their training.

I don't expect him to win this case in court. It's largely going to be his word against an entire club. No current player is going to go into bat for him even if his story is true.
Im not sure of that. I would not lie in a court of law to protect a boss who has done the wrong thing. The fact that 35 players were meant to be at that session....you'd highly doubt all 35 would lie. I'd think that the players would be truthful if called to testify.

Mojo

Bench
Circumstances would pretty clearly indicate it was likely to be unusual, as well.

Putting aside whether or not similar punishment is standard like many are claiming (without much evidence mind you), the Bulldogs have had three players come forward publicly with issues. So either the Bulldogs had three players who were all soft like the boomers are suggesting - despite the fact they had experience at around 5 NRL clubs between them and a few other professional or semi professional clubs as well and had never raised an issue publicly prior. This is also taking into account no other player has ever raised an issue publicly at another club to my knowledge.

Or something unusual happened.

Pretty clear balance of probabilities there. So despite the tough guy bleats of other posters who would shit themselves in the same situation the question is more likely to be was whatever happened unusual enough to be unlawful or to cause harm.
Does it have to be unusual to be unlawful? The Dogs might find themselves to be more exposed than they imagine ie; what if it turns out to be unlawful and standard practice?

Danish

Referee

Somehow I think if Topine was made to run until he spewed or collapsed he’d feel bullied.

The interesting thing to me about the players coming forward is they are universally shithouse and were members of a squad that would struggle to make the finals in reserve grade. So I’m not surprised those garbage players started to find things a bit tough when first grade standards returned to the club.

the tigers are the only comparable team in terms of utter trash performances in the last 5 years. And a few of their squad have quit with the sooks of late too

Mojo

Bench
Im not sure of that. I would not lie in a court of law to protect a boss who has done the wrong thing. The fact that 35 players were meant to be at that session....you'd highly doubt all 35 would lie. I'd think that the players would be truthful if called to testify.
Agree. There's also 'whistle-blower' protections. If subpoeonaed as a witness you swear an oath to tell the truth and potentially face prosecution if you perjure yourself. If 35 people make false denials, especially if due to intimidation or a code of silence, then the shit will really hit the fan.

ouwet

Bench
I can't believe some of you have an issue with this. What the f**k did you think NRL level training involved?

Holding hands singing some bob dylan song apparently.

Touma I guarantee you would've done this at the Roosters and other trainers else where or comparable.

The difference is some of those players were utter rubbish who are not reserve grade standard... if anything the Bulldogs should sue him, Davey, Okunbor, RFM and co for stealing a 1st graders salary for Sydney Shield performances.

Iamback

Coach
Holding hands singing some bob dylan song apparently.

Touma I guarantee you would've done this at the Roosters and other trainers else where or comparable.

The difference is some of those players were utter rubbish who are not reserve grade standard... if anything the Bulldogs should sue him, Davey, Okunbor, RFM and co for stealing a 1st graders salary for Sydney Shield performances.

Yet RFM has no problem at Dragons under Flanno who apparently is a hard trainer.

Not to mention was the captain, If he was garbage why was he captain?

Latest posts