What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly 2009, best side of all time

Best side I ever saw was Parramatta in the early-mid 1980's. Kenny, Sterling, Ella, Grothe, Cronin etc.

A backline for the ages and a tough, no nonsense forward pack.

I saw Saints play at the end of their reign in the 1960's, I would have loved to see that side in their peak.

Last edited:
Compare Manly 09 to Easts 03 - since we won it too?
Neither could be compared to some of the greatest though. Not even close.
Saints sixty-something.
Easts 1935.
Easts 1975.
Parramatta 1981-1983.

gottabegood

Juniors
Salary cap constraints would probably just about squash any notion that any side these days could compare to some of the great sides historically.

Butters

Bench
All the sides mentioned so far have nothing on the Godlike team of the Melbourne Storm 06-08. :cool:

macavity

Referee
Canberra 1994 were sensational....but look at Brisbane 1998. They would give them a run for their money

Lockyer
Sailor
Renouf
Darren smith
Hancock
Walters
Langer
Carroll
Thorn
Tallis
Webcke
Lee
Gee

amazing what you can put together with no salary cap and a state to pick from, innit?

coolumsharkie

Referee
Stevo and his sidekick Eddie are muppets....

Living in the UK and having to watch superleague sh*ts me to no end. Recently on an episode of Boots n All these two clowns were genuinely shocked to hear that Tim Sheens had called Super League a second rate comp.

They crap on about Super League being more entertaining... from what I can see there are pften more points scored but thats about it. Theres nothing entertaining about dummy half scoots, poor line defense, hitting it up one up off the ruck. Most superleague sides cant even execute a second man play, its like watching a bunch of poorly coached under 15's play.

So when Manly come over here, with a bit of preperation and destroy Leeds, of course these muppets are going to call them the best ever. The delusional bastards genuinely think that their comp is better (even though only two sides stand a chance of winning).

Well said.

It's a good side though. I'm sure the players don't want articles like that haunting them. I reckon the 90's Bronco's side was better, Parra 80's was better. Probably Melbourne in 2007 was just as good if not better.

If they win a couple of comps they could be classed as being as good, maybe.

lol. These blokes are the same d!ckheads that continually rate blokes like Leon Pryce among the best footballers in the world. Sure he is handy, but when you put him up against the likes of a Lockyer or an Inglis he pales in comparison.

Pommy commentators are d!ckheads. They are so used to watching that touch footy comp they call Super League that whenever they see a team play to a real game plan they are impressed to no end. I can't remember the last Super League gae I watched that had less than 6 tries scored in it. It is more similar to Basketball than Australian Rugby League. Teams go from one end to the other with gay abandon and once you are inside the oppositions 20 you are almost guaranteed a try.

That Leeds side is probably the best that has come out of England in some time and Manly handled them comfortably on a fortnights preparation.

In the words (roughly) of the great Eddie Murphy, starve someone for a Month and then throw them a cracker and that'll be the best damned cracker they ever saw.

stoodamire

Juniors
I'd have to say the Mid 90s Manly team was better than the current 1..

1) M.Ridge
2) D.Moore
3) C.Innes
4) T.Hill
5) J.Hopoate
6) C.Lyons
7) G.Toovey
8) D.Gillespie
9) J.Serdaris
10) M.Carroll
11) S.Menzies
12) D.Gartner
13) N.Kosef

14) N.Tierney
15) C.Hancock
16) D.Hasler
17) O.Cunningham

Best Defensive team of all time i'd say..

Brycey

Juniors
ffs - there hasn't been a year gone by where a journalist hasnt gone on about how the premiers have revolutionised the game.

I'm being abit bias here but the Canberra Raiders team circa 1994 has to go down as one of the greatest. Looking back now I'm amazed by the fact they only won one premiership and not 2 or 3 in a row.

1. Brett Mullins
2. Ken Nagas
3. Mal Meninga
4. Ruben Wiki
5. Noa Nadruku
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart

This backline alone is one of the greatest of all time. Speed, power, skill, flare, individual brilliance. It had it all.

8. Quinten Pongia
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. Jason Croker
12. David Furner
13. Bradley Clyde

The backrow speaks for itself. Clyde was the prototype for the ball running/playing lock. The kiwi front row was all muscle and Steve Walters was a magicianat hooker. No weakness in the staring 13 at all.

Didn't Manly beat that side IN Canberra with a player sent off in the 2nd half anf another sent to the bin for 10 min?

Iafeta

Referee
Stevo and Hemmings are the worst commentators ever. Full of sensationalism and bias, and lack of accuracy in any of their comments. I'd feel dudded if I was a Manly fan to get any support from Stevo, it'd be like being female and being told by your grandfather that you're a good looking sort ... not that I know how that feels, just sayin...

Latest posts