What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights get kick out of Dureau

Pumba

First Grade
Knights get kick out of Dureau
BY ROBERT DILLON

KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone believes the return of halfback Scott Dureau for suspended Ben Rogers will strengthen Newcastle in certain areas in Sunday's do-or-die clash with Penrith at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Dureau, who has played only one NRL game since tearing his groin against Parramatta on June 7, has been recalled after Rogers received a three-game suspension on Wednesday for throwing a flurry of punches at Canberra winger Daniel Vidot on Monday night.

Statistics suggest Rogers is a more robust defender than Dureau and more likely to make a line break.

But Dureau has a superior tactical kicking game as evidenced by his four 40-20 touch-finders this season and his organisational ability as first receiver allows Jarrod Mullen more room to attack out wide.

"Dureau does bring things to the team that probably the Mullen-Rogers combination hasn't got," Stone said yesterday.

"I don't think anyone in the NRL would have a better back-up option than Dureau, at this point in time in the season.

"We're really lucky to have that particular player.

"He's been training really hard in the last couple of weeks and deserves his crack at it.

"There's no doubt he brings something to our footy team."

Dureau has played 29 NRL games in his career but only 10 this season, most recently in the round-20 loss to Manly on July 24.

Stone warned that the 23-year-old would need to muscle up to counter Penrith's wide-running giants Frank Pritchard and Trent Waterhouse, who are certain to target him.

"He knows he's got a job to do defensively, which at times has probably let him down a little bit," Stone said.

"But I'm looking forward to watching Scotty play. He's excited about his opportunity and I thought he did really well at training today."

Stone has reminded his troops about not being overawed by the occasion. Not only are Newcastle under pressure to win to reach the finals, but their annual Old Boys Day will add to the burden of expectation.

"We've got to stay relaxed and not let the enormity of the day get to us, and make sure we show enough composure to play relaxed and some nice free-flowing football," Stone said.

"As a coaching staff and as a captain from Kurt [Gidley], we've tried to stay pretty relaxed and focused on what we have to do . . . we probably don't need to get caught up in that [hype] too much."

Stone said the presence of a host of club legends would provide little help for Newcastle once Sunday's match has kicked off.

"All the boys respect what Old Boys Day is about and they respect the ex-players and what they did for the club previously," he said.

"But they know they're not going to carry us along for a win on the weekend.

"There's a lot of respect there and obviously we want to honour their legacy, but the best way to do that is by winning."

Knights officials are anticipating their biggest crowd of the season for a match that will determine whether Newcastle qualify for the play-offs for the first time since 2006.

By yesterday afternoon, almost 17,000 tickets had been sold. Knights officials said several thousand tickets were still available but encouraged fans to get in quick before the match was declared a sell-out.

Herald

roopy

Referee
I'm incredibly nervous for Dureau.
Logic says he can't come in after months on the sideline and have a blinder, but he is a big game player and has nothing to lose, so i can see him forgetting all the Smith restrictions on his play, and just going for it.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Is it just me or everytime we have a massive game that we must win kids freaks out and plays sh*t? his fine in games we arent suppose to win and there is no pressure but as soon as you put some pressure on him he plays like a bag of sh*t?

Yosh

Coach
Is it just me or everytime we have a massive game that we must win kids freaks out and plays sh*t? his fine in games we arent suppose to win and there is no pressure but as soon as you put some pressure on him he plays like a bag of sh*t?

Engrish?

Grammer bro chillax and add some grammer!

I think what you mean is:

Is it just me or is it everytime we have a massive, that we must win, the kids (referring to the younger players on our team or Kidley our captain it isnt clear to me) freaks out and plays like crap/sh8t/terrible. He's fine in games that we are not supposed to win or games where there is no pressure however as soon as pressured is placed on him he plays like a bag of crap/sh*t/terrible again.

Am I spot on?

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
hahaha

I'm pretty sure Gidley was very handy in the equivalent match against the Storm last year from memory...

Hanscholo

Bench
Its amazing the situation we find ourselves in 12 months on from last season. On that particular night we faced an enormous challenge trying to beat Brisbane at home, and its a game i remember for one particular reason. Dureau's performance in that game was immature and he was found wanting in just about every area of his game. 12 months on he gets a chance to redeem himself, this time going up against the bloke he competed with for the spot in the side for two seasons. Last years game convinced me that Dureau had no future as a first grade half back. Lets hope he proves me wrong this time around.

BG

Juniors
Stone makes a good point when he says: "I don't think anyone in the NRL would have a better back-up option than Dureau, at this point in time in the season." Well, I'd modify it a bit myself -- some of the other clubs do have reasonable alternatives in the halves -- but when viewed as a back-up, Dureau is pretty decent. And back-up he is. Mullo/Rogers has been the preferred pairing under both Smith and Stone. I think we're better off than having Walsh on a significant long-term contract--is it something like $180k the Panthers are paying him?--to run the show as the first-choice half.