What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you rate the Knights 97 Premsiership?

Knigts premiership 97?

• Total voters

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Absolute farce.

Should be erased from the records.

Had the drug use occured in any year after 1997 (or it was any other team apart from the Knights), the match would either be replayed or forefitted.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Absolute farce.

Had the drug use occured in any year after 1997 (or it was any other team apart from the Knights), the match would either be replayed or forefitted.

When have the ever replayed a premiership due to drug use or anything other than a tied result?

It would not happen. The Knights won the premiership that counted and just because people don't like it doesn't make it any less official.

Loudstrat

Coach
Raiders and Dogs salary cap rorts never caused replays.

And if replays were introduced for misdemeanours, the FIRST one replayed would have been the 1978 minor semi final replay!

Green Machine

First Grade
i did say 'crowds', not 'home crowds' - look through the records again for BOTH those teams short existence and you'll see many sub 5k crowds.
I only mentioned the Rams. Nice to see you are up to 5k crowds

regarding costs look up Wikipedia - Super League War - 'costs'
Come on, post something that says Super League cost $1b in one season. I'll bet you can't,
don't worry I'm not crying, but I'm sure many people on Super League were back in 1997 ;-)
Not at all. We came out of pretty well financially.

big country

Juniors
I only mentioned the Rams. Nice to see you are up to 5k crowds

well I only mentioned Rams and H/Mariners - and yes, there were crowds of 2 or 3 thousand - probably mostly immediate family and friends

Come on, post something that says Super League cost $1b in one season. I'll bet you can't,

Well if you factor in inflation over the last 13 years - believe it or not - it adds up to a Billion in today's $$

Not at all. We came out of pretty well financially.

Of course you did!! Borrowing a slant on Kerry Packer - "you only get one Super League in your lifetime" :lol:

Green Machine

First Grade
Of course you did!! Borrowing a slant on Kerry Packer - "you only get one Super League in your lifetime" :lol:
Along with Allan Bond, Kerry also got one cheap ARL as well. But I think his Manly friends helped with that gift.
Come on, post the $1b figure in one season if you can

big country

Juniors
Along with Allan Bond, Kerry also got one cheap ARL as well. But I think his Manly friends helped with that gift.
Come on, post the $1b figure in one season if you can

well as i mentioned if you factor in inflation over the last 13 years on the $560mil - presto - there's you $1bil (in todays terms)

Green Machine

First Grade
well as i mentioned if you factor in inflation over the last 13 years on the $560mil - presto - there's you $1bil (in todays terms)

What rate is inflation running at? What a load of bullsh*t. I knew you couldn't back up your statement,

Last edited:
Absolute farce.

Amen to that

Let them have it. It may have been an empty one for us in 97 had we won, but they get off on it. The fact that it is still being spoken about speaks volumes about it's merits. There is a huge asterix about the Knights triumph and not just from Manly fans, that is why we are talking about it now and why we will be still talking about it in 50 years

Alex28

Coach
LOL...Manly fans...just as pathetic as Raiders fans. If Manly won that game you'd still be beating off to it.

matt

Juniors
Full marks for the Newcastle win,that SL rubbish was the most sterile souless crap I have had the misfortune of watching.

bit like any storm game really.

Green Machine

First Grade
I am no economist but he may be very close.

Anyhow, where is your evidence to refute his claims? LOL
I love it when every dill who thinks they have something, will end with LOL. I'm not the one making the claiming that Super League lost $1b in one season. I'm not the one claiming that the evidence may be on Wikipedia.
Anyone who claims that, most certainly, does not know what they are talking about.

Loudstrat

Coach
No i am saying the basic issue here (even basic for a deadsh*t like you) is that there were ONLY 12 teams....so how the f**k could that be a full proper premiership. Both comps were just as bad as each other...but they both count in the record books.
So why mention the 7 team finals series you tard?
BTW, 12 teams was enough for a comp for every year before 1982. However, when you have to make up teams to get to 10 - that ain't a comp. That's a rabble.

big country

Juniors
I love it when every dill who thinks they have something, will end with LOL. I'm not the one making the claiming that Super League lost $1b in one season. I'm not the one claiming that the evidence may be on Wikipedia.
Anyone who claims that, most certainly, does not know what they are talking about.

mate you're missing the point completely. Does it matter if it was $1bil (i have explained to you that it is close to it anyway!) or $560 mil or $700mil - the point is it was a FAILED venture and could not possibly have sustained losses like that for another year.

It was geared up on forecasts that every second household would subscribe to Foxtel, the grounds would be sold out, and their product would be a huge hit around the world and the players would be paid very handsomely in return - the only thing they got right was that the players would be paid very handsomely!! - the business model and the end result was a dismal failure - merry christmas

Perry Como

Juniors
mate you're missing the point completely. Does it matter if it was $1bil (i have explained to you that it is close to it anyway!) or $560 mil or $700mil - the point is it was a FAILED venture and could not possibly have sustained losses like that for another year.

It was geared up on forecasts that every second household would subscribe to Foxtel

Why wouldn't you expect a big take up of pay tv, the 5 free to air channels at the time were pathetic and the butt of many an international comedians joke and the tv rights carrier for the rugby league (and the afl?) had 7 out of 10 games blacked out

Things would be the same today ( manly and easts on tv every weekend stuff the rest),if not for the Heros of SL

Latest posts