What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Telstra Premiership - Rnd 1 - Panthers v Raiders

murraymob

Coach
2 weeks ago elliott stated kingston was not a 80 minute player will be interesting the make up of the side and how the over come this

murraymob

Coach
does elliott ever learn.The reason we struggled last year was lack of stability in the halfs now we are going to swap mix`and match during a game.Leave burns at 5/8 lewis at lock

franklin2323

Immortal
does elliott ever learn.The reason we struggled last year was lack of stability in the halfs now we are going to swap mix`and match during a game.Leave burns at 5/8 lewis at lock

Murray I agree with you to an extend. I will be blowing up Big time if we didn't have Graham, Sammut, Blair, Romelo all injured.

The only other option was Masada on the bench. He was terrible against the Knights how was he against Parra???

I know it was a trial but the last qtr against the Knights Lewis was at 6 and Burns at 9 and we didn't lose much so prob be fine for 20mins or so. But I would like a hooker option come rest of the season but til Graham's fit this will be fine

maple_69

Bench
To be fair we were jumping down Elliott's throat for going light on in the bench last year. Now it looks like we'll have something like Bell, Mckendry, Paulo, Smith which is far better.

Our team is versatile enough to manage having Kingston off. Burns to hooker for 20 minutes and then you can have Coote, Lewis or Paulo slotting into second receiver. '

I'd prefer to see Iosefa to slot onto the bench for Smith, but as has been said before most of our utility options are in the casualty ward.

Kilkenny

Coach
It is astonishing fans fail to recognise Nathan Smiths contributions to our side. On form over past two seasons he would surely be one of the first players picked and I fail to understand why our fans don't recognise his wholehearted contributions. What does this guy have to do to win over the fans? He tackles his heart out, gives his all week in week out and yet everyone seems to want to bag him. Yes we have increased our depth in 2010 but surely Nathan Smith deserves a spot in our top 17.

Big Mick

Referee
A) He flops and never takes on a guy one-on-one more than 5 times a game.

B) He never creates anything in attack

C) in the past he may have been one of the players picked every week...but the fact remains as soon as Laurie is back, Smith should be in Windsor.

Who would you take out to leave Smith there?

Devilous

Juniors
He makes 30+ tackles a game but it is the one or two that he misses that seems to kill us on our line or give a big break which undoes all the positive work he does.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Im just happy that Smith isnt named in the starting side. He'll be good coming off the bench as he is versatile and could slot into various positions without too much of a shuffle and do a solid job. I like the side named and look forward to watching them. Watching the footy tonight, so good.... :D

mxlegend99

Referee
He makes 30+ tackles a game but it is the one or two that he misses that seems to kill us on our line or give a big break which undoes all the positive work he does.
Or the drop balls when he gets absolutely smashed.

He's just not effective at all. What good is having a high workrate if it's all ineffective.

Kilkenny

Coach
Beg to differ.

I thought Nathan Smith's contribution was vitally important and his tackles in the key part of the second half when we were under the pump where crucial.

Seriously watch the replay, I have, and his contribution while not spectacular is what Nathan Smith is all about. 100% commitment and passion for the cause. Very, very underated player which is a shame for someone who gives his all to the cause.

Fibroman

First Grade
I think Nathan is a solid player, and would probably have him in my 17 most weeks. The only issue I have is the $240K a season we are paying him.(It's a bit high)

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah ATM he is vital with no backs on the bench he will need to play as cover for a back.

Even If Lewis or Paulo move out there we need a lock so he comes in then.

Back to the game it gives us room for improvement.
Had we had a right side of Gordon, Jennings, Waterhouse, Graham I dare so more ball would of made it to Jennings more. Plum and Bruns being new players need time to Gel out there.

Rather then miss kicks I think Walsh's shallow bombs were planned. When you think of it we had Pritchard and Lewis chasing both mobile and jump well less chance of the fullback tackling them. Also gives the chasers a bit of time to get there

Even if The fullback takes the ball. It wont be a 20 tap as they aren't in the ingoals

Fibroman

First Grade
I though Walsh's kicking game was very good. It is what we have been lacking over the past few seasons.

Devilous

Juniors
He often managed to hit the grass and got a couple over the fullback, I was quite impressed with most of his kicking!

Caged Panther

First Grade
I though Walsh's kicking game was very good. It is what we have been lacking over the past few seasons.

I have to say watching the game live while I didn't think he did anything wrong I didn't think he played as well as a lot of people were saying. Having gone back and watched the replay though I realise I was wrong. I still don't think he was quite as good as some people are suggesting but he certainly played better than I initially thought.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have to say watching the game live while I didn't think he did anything wrong I didn't think he played as well as a lot of people were saying. Having gone back and watched the replay though I realise I was wrong. I still don't think he was quite as good as some people are suggesting but he certainly played better than I initially thought.

Watching the game live, I thought he played very solid. Watched the replay a couple of times and nothing has changed my view. Walsh was very good and directed us around very well.

Having watched the replay a couple of times it was not quite as solid a performance as we would have hoped for. The first ten minutes both sides cancelled each other out and we capitalised on having all the ball for latter part of the first half as you would expect. The first 20 minutes of the second half was not a performance of a side who you would expect to be competing for a top eight position but we can take solace in the fact we eventually got the job done.

As the first round clearly showed, quality possession means everything. There were combacks galore once sides got a better than even share of possession so there is a lesson to be learned. We got ourselves into a position where we clearly could have gone onto win by 50 but silly penalties and dropped ball cost us dearly and if we are serious about a position in the top eight we simply cannot allow such mistakes.