What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not use Toyota Cup as a base for new clubs

bondy064

Juniors
Why not use Toyota Cup as a base to introducing new clubs into the NRL. Example could be having Central Qld, Ipswich, Central Coast Bears and Perth Reds in the Toyota Cup before gaining entry to the NRL. This would improve the local talent when the club does gain a license and give local fans a team to follow.

docbrown

Coach
Yes and my suggestion for achieving this is as follows:

Play every NRL team once - (15 rounds)
- 7 or 8 home games against NRL teams (as per the NRL main game)
- 7 or 8 away games against NRL teams (as per the NRL main game)

Play the six potential expansion teams once (3 home, 3 away) as a substitute for NRL teams -

Perth Reds
Central Coast Bears
Brisbane Jets - could play home games before Broncos games
Central Queensland Bulls
Wellington Orcas - could play home games before Warriors games
Port Moresby Vipers

21 games total over the 26 rounds

Then with the 5 byes, teams can potentially play any touring English, French, New Zealander or Pacific Islands Schoolboys sides once or twice i.e. Newcastle Knights Under 20's vs England Under 20's - so as to build up international under 20's sides as well.

Still plenty of games to sell to Fox/F2A digital channel

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im sure the draw could be sacrificed for the cause. But it would alter travel plans for teams. Its ideal that both squads travel together and could create greater confusion.

If the NSW Cup and the Qld cup had better funding, teams could/should/have entered in those competitions.

Its not a matter of why not, its a matter of if its a worth while idea.

docbrown

Coach
At a guess, it would f**k the draw right up

Not entirely - you can basically just substitute teams for one another, especially if you used byes.

What I've suggested above is actually fairer than the NRL draw - every team players each other once.

The biggest thing would be the cost of those teams to travel around, especially for WA, PNG & NZ.

But NZ, Jets etc home games could be played before Warriors/Broncos games as well.

I also think that Under 20's comp would benefit from more byes.

gronkathon

First Grade
I think a National Reserve Grade comp would be a far better option for emerging territories to enter a comp into

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because it would cost around $2million per team and most of the bids do not have $2million to spend every year on running a Toyota cup team. Now if the NRL had some $'s it would be a different matter.

siv

First Grade
Qld Cup and NSW Cup are the correct way to go for these emerging teams

FG / RG / U18 / U16

Should be a criteria that all teams should be able to meet

The issue here is that the ARLC need to fund transportation costs for a period for these non NSW / QLD teams

jim_57

Staff member
When the two bids get the nod for 2013 there should be immediate plans to accomodate an extra TC team from each club in 2012, no questions asked. Does anybody really give a sh!t if the Toyota Cup draw is screwed up for one year?

joshreading

Staff member
I think in the very least that Clubs accepted into the NRL should have an under 20's for two years prior to NRL entry. It would ensure a bit of a running start in regards to bringing through new talent for the team.

I would also open the NRL under 20's to teams such as PNG IF they can provide the finance for the team. I am sure PNG Government would cough up the money. It then becomes part of their credibility in their future bids and opens up a HUGE untapped area of juniors. PNG is potentially a bigger source of players than the rest of the Pacific but we continue to treat it with disdain.

I think as part of such they need to just tweak the under 20's by allowing up to 4 under 23's in each side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think in the very least that Clubs accepted into the NRL should have an under 20's for two years prior to NRL entry. It would ensure a bit of a running start in regards to bringing through new talent for the team.

I would also open the NRL under 20's to teams such as PNG IF they can provide the finance for the team. I am sure PNG Government would cough up the money. It then becomes part of their credibility in their future bids and opens up a HUGE untapped area of juniors. PNG is potentially a bigger source of players than the rest of the Pacific but we continue to treat it with disdain.

I think as part of such they need to just tweak the under 20's by allowing up to 4 under 23's in each side.

we treat all of the Pacific with disdain, and 1/2 our own country!

webbland

Juniors
why not have divisions like the prem league,with promotion/relegation?
the new teams would have to earn a place in the top league by performance thus placing less drain of resources if they go bust again like perth which imo is a total waste.
it would create more interest and draw people back to the game who were lost with mergers/takeovers etc
....and cronulla could disappear peacefully:lol:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The original idea is to add extra teams to the NYC. If you realise the whole reason for the NYC was that the junior side played the same teams and travelled with the senior team for two reasons, to allow an easier transition for the young players and to cut teams travel costs.

This idea takes that away because no matter what you do there will be junior teams playing different teams to the senior team in other locations. Does anybody remember that there is a rule that teams can bring in a NYC player to replace a player that is gone for the game due to foul play? This is never used but should be.

The best way is to form a lower tier combined competition with NSW cup, QLD cup and the extra teams. If they want to play NRL it is up to them to fund themselves.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
I would think NSW and QLD Cups are a better idea

It would be if both comps got it right, let's face it. There are new teams coming and going every year. Which means there is bugger all stability in either comp, then they are forever changing which NRL club they feed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should come up with a 2nd tier comp well funded by the ARLIC and featuring the best of Q'land cup, NSW cup, A Vic, WA, Wellington and PNG side. Teams linked to NRL teams as their reserve grade and played on game day when possible. Fox have shown they will show Toyota cup so no reason why they wouldn't show this "Pacific League". A 12 team league with 4 Q'land, 4 NSW and 4 expansion teams would be good. They could have a rep side at end of season to play Pacific Islands and USA.

Loudstrat

Coach
One of the best ideas ive heard in a long time. I just hope the dim witted clown Gallop is listening.
Even a dim witted clown would see that the idea is ridiculous.

Firstly, as already mentioned - the cost would be massive. Name one area that has the $ to fly an under 20's side around the country? Secondly, the Toyota Cup - also as mentioned - is designed to assist under 20's to slide into first grade.

Besides, the Titans never needed it, becoming a top 4 club within about 40 matches.

Latest posts