What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a shame that.................

Matua

Bench
Man there is some bitterness on this thread. I want both teams to win, as do most NZers!

The party central stuff is due to the IRB having tight regulations. The key to that article is that fans of both sought out a place to watch the Warriors after the rugby.

Most new zealanders will watch a winning team that isn't union eg. Cricket and league.
Those of us not brain washed into union will always see league as a superior game, problem is on an international stage we are well behind union and the long nrl season will always make it hard to improve.

Meth

Staff member
Would love for the Warriors and the AB's to get up. Watched both games start to finish last night- went to bed so elated I couldn't sleep. The missus was not happy with me waking her up to talk footy.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
heres some news !!

Auckland's Rugby World Cup fan zone will black out next Sunday's Warriors rugby league grand final game with Mayor Len Brown warning of tight contractual arrangements in play.
A capacity crowd at Party Central in downtown Auckland watched last night's All Blacks v France rugby match, but then thousands left to find somewhere to watch the Warriors defeat the Melbourne Storm in a league semi-final.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/5680339/No-Warriors-grand-final-in-fan-zone-officials

That article makes me sick.

Rich102

Staff member
Would love for the Warriors and the AB's to get up. Watched both games start to finish last night- went to bed so elated I couldn't sleep. The missus was not happy with me waking her up to talk footy.

You sweet talking rascal!

Meth

Staff member
Haha. Several beers + footy talk at 1am + woken up missus = a dry night

thorson1987

Coach
Here's the scenario as I see it.

The Warriors beat Manly next week and the All Blacks fail to make the ruckheads world cup final.

The citizens are disgusted with this outcome and become even more upset when Australia lift the ruckheads cup. This causes rioting in the streets and Graham Henry and Murray Deaker run off together.

The scene has now been set for a sporting revolt the likes which hasn't been seen in NZ before. Over the next 10-15 years rugby league gains more and more popularity firstly equaling rugby union in popularity then surpassing it. Think positive people:)

This, except i would change it to Ireland winning the thing.

Matua

Bench
That article makes me sick.
Why? If the soccer WC was on and they had a venue on the Waterfront with contractual obligations they wouldn't show it either. It's a storm in teacup and nothing to do with petty league v rugby - I used to think only the Ockers indulged in that crap before I found this site.

It's like you're all trying to out-bitterness each other now.

Martli

Coach

Hahaha I managed to hold on to the morning before the footy talk. Even managed to pull off a silent celebration when Lewis Brown scored the match winner :lol:

_addict

Juniors

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah, wives can be so insensitive to our need for meaningful conversation!

Micistm

Bench
The RWC could be a blessing in disguise, takes a heap of media 'pressure' off the Warriors.

I agree with that, although I have a feeling they won't be snubbed as much this week as last. Last week was atrocious, but I don't think they expected the Warriors to be in the GF. Watch the bandwagon jump now. Already seen it with tons of people I know who wouldn't know how the team was doing one week to next, are now bonafide supporters with the gear on!:lol:

Micistm

Bench

:lol:Yeah, I'm not allowed in the bed if I'm too hyped...might be a danger of me getting frisky or something...I have to stay in the living room and play playstation till I calm down a bit

Micistm

Bench
We were round at someones house for a BBQ and to watch the ABs...we got some funny looks leaving at HT to go home for the Warriors game ;-)

kier

Juniors
The Warriors were the No1 news story on TV1 News at 6pm (ahead of ABs) so watch that bandwaggon grow :)

As for the waterfront/big screens - my issue is this. They've been paid for by NZ taxpayers. Len Brown should bite the bullet and tell the IRB to back off - what are they going to do cancel the RWC?

The majority of NZ sportsfans (regardless of the their prefered sport) will be keen to watch the Warriors ahead of any of the RWC matches. The option of watching the game will only add to the atmosphere of the RWC party.

Queens Wharf is the official 'party central' - Capt Cook Wharf was added (at taxpayer expense) a few days ago - I doubt its covered by any agreement and even if it is the Auckland council should have the balls to tell the IRB to back-off. Show RWC at Q Wharf and let CC Wharf show the Warriors for the benefit of those Aucklanders who have footed the bill in the first place.

This isn't a RU v RL issue really it should be about elected officials doing what's right for the people they represent.

hitman51

Juniors
When I was in nz couple months ago it seemed like Rugby League was not considered a major sport in NZ its treated just like soccer in australia. Rugby union on the other hand its all over the papers , tv and radio.

I actually went to the tri nations game between aus v nz and wow I must say the NZ supporters are passionate about the game and the all blacks.

Such a shame the warriors will always live in the shadows of union even if they win a premiership.

By the way can you guys fix up public transport to Mt Smart I had to catch a taxi back to cbd cost like 80 bucks as there is no other public transport :(

Thats media coverage not the people, the media will always favour rugby on anything till the end of days. I'm massive hurricanes and lions supporter but here in the wellington region you would find that most people would rather watch the warriors than some of the stuff rugby has dished up the last few seasons, but gotta say the rugby has been good this year.

Rugby is massive in this country but you will find that most of the people that go these games couldnt name a single player in any squad. Its all about the entertainment and having fun but not because they love the rugby. Trust me when i try talk rugby to some people in wellys most dont know what the hell is going on or who is playing for what team.

Rugby will always be massive in nz but dont let the media fool ya, that league dont have a following trust me the whole country will be watching the warriors on sunday night.