What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clearys tactics for GF

The 2 points should only be taken to put you 8 in front or 14 in front. So more than 1 or 2 converted tries in most circumstance. Never ever the first points on the board Ryan Tandy. It tells the other team you don't think you can crack their line with 6 tackles from 30m or less out! I hope the 2 points tacktic goes with Cleary, I use to think it was Pricey that made those calls.

Weather wasn't that bad, bit windy but it basically rained during anthems and that it. If someone in the box was watching the Bureau of met websites radar and a he'll of a storm was coming then fair enough. I think taking the 2 to put you 2-0 up 20 odd mins into a match 30 m out is a bad tactic on both a physical and mental level. Physically manly would of had to defend another possible 6 tackles, even more if can get a repeat set (yes ya could duff it but should have the confidence not too.) wearing them down with more tackles. Mentally you tell the opposition you don't think you can break their line, you are to tired to try or boys need a rest and you are taking the "easy" 2 points. I would have a feeling a good captain would of been stating those things behind the goal post. Also what are you tell you own team? You're not good enough to get 6 points?

Now 6-0 up I can see value in 8-0 with less than 20 min on the clock and bad weather. I guess a lot comes down to the feel of the game. I personally wasnt feeling the 2 points, ya should of had ya forwards ready to smash roses head in for he cheap shot and used that aggression.

Last edited:

kier

Juniors
I have no problem with the game plan - or taking the two points when on offer.

IF the Watnough ptb penalty had been given and we'd kicked the HT score could conceivably have been 6-4.

Given our (imo) stronger bench that could have made the second half extremely difficult for Manly.

However it was not to be and although it was a huge disappointment the club is stronger for it.

I don't blame the tactics though.

Go Warriors in 2012

Rich102

Staff member
I see the arguments for and against but I have no problem with them taking the 2 under the circumstances.

If they had had a couple of sets camped on the Manly line then it would have been an admission of failure; but it was an arm wrestle and almost against the run of play. Take the points on offer. BTW it didn't lose us the game, not even close.