What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irish Shirt for USA Match

RedVee

First Grade
Last years Wallaby tour I watched a few (part of :) ) games. An Irish game in Dublin featured 2 Irish anthems: the soldiers song and Irelands Call. The Soldiers Song is deleted in NIreland hosted games, but I don't know what song they do use.

BODISGOD

Bench
The only sport really split in Ireland between Ireland and Northern Ireland is soccer where there are two national teams and leagues. Even then anyone from the North can play for the 'Republic' team (and vice versa but nobody has or ever will you'd imagine).

Ireland's Call was commissioned for rugby and sung at home games after Amhrán na bhFiann and sang away from home as the sole anthem. The Irish cricket team have used it in an unofficial fashion for a few years too I think. At the Rugby World Cup the tricolour and the flag of Ulster was used to represent Ireland. At the Golf World cup we had just the tri colour though (which is funny as Rory McIlroy and Graham McDowell, both from the North, were the representatives). I'd favour Ireland's Call and a new Ireland sports flag to be used for all of our sports. Get rid of the confusion.

The Yank flag makes no sense. Irish Americans like shamrocks and the tri colour.

YANTO

Juniors
http://www.rli.ie/article/new-donnybrook-cup-jersey-available.html

Rugby League Ireland has unveiled its new Donnybrook Cup Limited Edition jersey.
The jersey which is made specially for the St Patrick's Day Challenge between the Wolfhound's 'A' team and the USA Tomahawks will be on sale at all events relating to the Donnybrook Cup at a price of $70 for sizes small through to xx-Large.

As the article says its a special edition shirt made specialy for the Wolfhounds "A" team v USA

Reborned

Juniors
I'm not a fan. It looks alright as a shirt, but this is supposed to be a National Jersey for what should be a 'Test' match. It is not right to have the opponents flag making up half the jersey.

It is not a Test match. 'A' teams do no play test matches and this is Ireland 'A' v USA.

League is a 32 county sport so the Irish flag wouldn't appear on it. The Irish Rugby Football Union and Golf Union of Ireland have a flag to represent the 32 counties so maybe something like that

Not a fan of the jersey tbh. A bit all over the place colours wise (The USA flag certainly doesn't help!).

Rugby League uses the flag of the four provinces

http: //upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Four_Provinces_Flag.svg/175px-Four_Provinces_Flag.svg.png

Latest posts