What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bamberg Uni RL Development Day

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Sebastian Vermaat who has played Rugby League for the past 2 years has set up Rugby League in Bamberg University (around 50 minutes north of Nuremberg) at the beginning of May. Sadly RLD were not able to offer too much assistance except give them a couple of balls and the German Development Officer, Uwe Jansen, has not even been in contact or asked how he can help! Anyways Basti asked me if I could help. So I took along and Andreas Hand who is a German who played Rugby League at Lincoln University before coming back home last year Cook Islander Ben Puna who lives in Ingolstadt to run a Rugby League Development Day. We drove 200KM in to the unknown not really knowing how many would be there, especially with Rock im Park happening just around the corner with Metallica etc playing!
We was amazed to have over 30 people in attendance including 7 women. Some of them had played Union including one of the women, but most had no background on Rugby and so we spent 2 x 50 minutes doing the basics of Rugby League- How to pass, How to play the Ball, How to tackle around the legs, How to do a 2 man tackle, How to get up and Play the ball properly, 3 v 2 etc. We then finished off with a small game after. 2 of the women insisted in playing the full contact game and certainly didnt let themselves down. It was a great day and well done to Basti that in the spoace of a month he has regularly 30 people coming to train. Sadly despite asking the RLD for teams to play against none of the alleged Domestic teams can/will raise a team. So I have managed to put them in contact with Andy Mulhall in the Czech Rep and they will play a friendly against one of the Czech teams later in the summer.
Despite all the problems in the RLD and especially the way people have been treated,it was so refreshing to see people asking about the game and at the end saying they was so grateful we had come to help them. They want more. I have kept some of the old RL World magazines that League Publications used to send me and a had 20 odd DVDs with games from the SL and NRL which Kevin Rudd used to send me a heap of alongside from others in the game and distributed them out. Andi, Ben and Myself was taken aback how great these people was and really want to play and are desperate for us to come again. I fear they wont get much further help from the RLD or the RLEF. I actually move in September up North to Hamburg, but myself Ben and Andi have promised to keep helping them when we can with the very limited we have . A great day with great people learning about a great sport. What better day can somebody have?

P:S If anybody has recordings of SL or NRL on DVD or old Rugby League Magazines then maybe you could send me a message and I will pass them on to the people in Bamberg.

575309_4164462839674_491606843_n.jpg

560617_4164467799798_2138512649_n.jpg

556878_4164459199583_138570633_n.jpg

521282_4164463999703_1527220516_3416942_1888007334_n.jpg

401909_4164455719496_1944701362_n.jpg

Sam_the_man

First Grade
So whats happening with the German RL? Have they folded? To busy with there own clubs to help out the uni?

DIOGENES

Juniors
In fact all the established German teams are in University towns within 80 km of the French border. I guess a small local competition may be the way to get started mand the problem comes from how to expand from there.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
German rugby league looks fairly healthy. Its noticeable that most of the teams are around Heidelberg. http://rugby-league.de/
Bamberg is a fair away even on the autobahn (particularly with a stau)

Healthy? No real National League taken place and Germany being behind Norway, Malta, Czech Republic domestically. No real Development work being done by Uwe Jansen despite him getting paid via the RLEF. In fact he has managed to push many away from playing (Ramstein US Army base, Hochspeyer as well as many individuals!) The guy is a Union man who does very little for RL in Germany. The board consists of Union people mainly in Heidelberg and so they put in a token effort really as Union is their first love which is fair enough. The President lives in London most of the time and naturally very difficult to control or see whats going on. RLD has no money or sponsors. There are the odd person like Bene Rehm who really try their best but are not being supported properly. Without Bene Rehm Germany would be probably struggling to exist. The players are mainly Union people who have an interest in League. So if there is a clash with their Union club they choose their first love Union in 99% of cases. There is also much resentment from the German RU who hate Rugby League and again caused problems in the recent Internationals held in Heidelberg-again Bene Rehm saved the situation not anybody on the board!
The National league fixtures are not happening in most cases and there should be results from each week in May according to the Website. Instead there is nothing sadly except on Saturday when a German XIII played Widnes St. Maries. But communication is very poor

In fact all the established German teams are in University towns within 80 km of the French border. I guess a small local competition may be the way to get started mand the problem comes from how to expand from there.
This has always been a big problem but Danny Kazandjian at the RLEF insisted 13 v 13 games must happen in Germany. I basically had a massive row with him as he refused to back my plans and give any support (Allow me and others to go on Coach/match officials Education Course run in London and elsewhere and only allowed those who backed his plans).

Germany is at a development level where 13 v 13 is unrealistic as there is no real development work going on despite Uwe Jansen getting paid to do it and the distances involved though some players from Cologne travelled three times down to Karlsruhe ( 300 Km) to play! Its just Union players playing it in summer when the Union season is over. No real structures are in place. RLD really should do more to try and get a team or get a game on for the people in Bamberg. The RLD could have helped them run a 9s team and send 1 team with 2 or 3 teams from bamberg (They have 30-40 people in training!). But the Development Officer has not even made contact and they have received a couple of balls from RLD thats it. Its 200 km for me and the other 2 who helped me run the training and not much more for Heidelberg people to make the effort. But unless you have somebody there fully promoting and pushing for things to happen, people wont even know about it let alone be involved!

My ideas was to run a series of 9s comps in an area (Heidelberg/Frankfurt/Karlsruhe area, Cologne/Bochum area, Munich/Bavaria area with a rep team then being formed to play 13 a side against the rep teams from the other areas. Germany would have stepped out of the Euro Shield for 2 years and focus on domestic things especially structures and building a series of mini comps. We would have looked to play the Czechs, US Army, British Army etc using only domestic players and build a platform with. But Danny Kazandjian and Uwe Jansen didnt want that and dismissed my concerns and eventually forced me out. Development has to be done properly at domestic level like the Czechs and Serbs have done to work. Having a strong National team with quality overseas players and some decent Union guys is pointless if the foundations below it are not there. I know why the RLEF want to see Germany do well on the International Scene as it helps them get money from the EU and Sponsors as "Germany" Politically is very strong compared to Czech Republic, Norway, Malta etc. But what Danny Kazandjian and the RLEF want is maybe good for the RLEF, but very bad for Germany especially when they have no money or sponsors and a poor structure in place

langpark

First Grade
It's great to see that you're still involved and haven't quit the sport altogether DK! I know first hand how difficult it can be trying to launch the sport although I haven't been involved nearly long as you have.

Keep it up! As long as the embers are burning, the fire may burn again one day!...

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Great insight to what's happening in Germany Der Kaiser, obviously there needs to be a shake-up with the administration there and I too cannot comprehend this noton that the National side should be the main focus. If you don't have a good grassroots and domestic structure in place, the game will just not survive with any longevity. This occurs too often in our game and many wonder why the game doesn't take off as it should. By the way Der Kaiser, you wouldn't happen to know who Simon Cooper is do you?

Latest posts