What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra's next coach?

Who should be Parramatta's next coach?

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Jason Taylor might've had a hundred grand on himself at $1.90. That's after Ricky Stuart put fifty grand on him at $5.50

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Dude I know exactly how you feel.

I am constantly having to deal with intelligence agents ruining my good time. So far they have moved in to the houses on either side of mine and they have even infiltrated my family. I am starting to suspect my wife is one of them.

At night I hear them crawling around in the roof and tapping my phone. But they are such spin doctors that when I check in the morning all I find is possum shit.

Stay vigilant my friend.
:lol: come home from a night at the pub and that has just cracked me up.

I wish channel nien would lose the TV rights and you guys could talk Sterlo into running things at your club. Even as coach. Players would play out of their skin for Sterlo I reckon.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Ricky Stuart reportedly confirmed as replacement
For Stephen Kearney at Parramatta

FOX SPORTS
July 21, 2012 8:49PM
642147-ricky-stuart.jpg

Ricky Stuart ... stepping back into the club coaching ranks.
Source: News Limited

NSW State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart will reportedly replace Stephen Kearney as Parramatta coach.

Although Eels mangement deny a deal has been done, Fox Sports' Warren Smith says Stuart will take over the Parramatta role from 2013. It also means he will relinquish the role as Blues Origin coach.

Stuart, who has a record of four wins and five losses at Origin level, gave no hint of his intentions on NRL on Fox last Wednesday night but did say that he couldn't coach at both club and representative level at the same time.

"The New South Wales Rugby League have got that policy at the moment that they have a neutral, full-time coach, and I think that’s fair, I really do.

"It’s a big job (to be NSW coach), and … I definitely won’t be looking for a club that would allow me to do it."

Link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ey-at-parramatta/story-fn2mcuj6-1226431640860

Gronk

Staff member
Eels look at Flanagan but Stuart a near certainty
ADRIAN PROSZENKO
22 Jul, 2012 03:00 AM
SHANE FLANAGAN has emerged as a bolter for the Parramatta coaching job if Ricky Stuart turns it down.
Stuart's manager John Fordham met Eels officials on Friday and the directors held a board meeting yesterday to discuss the replacement for Stephen Kearney. Fox Sports commentators last night claimed the NSW Origin coach had signed with Parramatta, but Eels chief executive Bob Bentley denied that any deal with Stuart - or anyone else - had been done and said they had not reached an agreement. Unless there is a hitch in negotiations, it is likely Stuart will put pen to paper in the next few days.
''We're in discussions with Ricky and other candidates but we haven't put pen to paper at this point in time,'' he said. ''Talks will continue over the next 24 to 48 hours. We might be in a position early next week to make some announcement in that regard.'' Kearney's assistant, Brad Arthur, was last night installed as caretaker coach for the rest of the season with Wentworthville's Brett Cook his assistant.
Having met with Stuart's manager, Bentley felt the club offered the NSW coach the challenge he craved.
''The sort of things they were looking for in a club, Parramatta has good appeal for them. A strong leagues club and financial backing, good playing roster and obviously the resources around the structure we've currently got. It ticks the boxes in that regard.''
The Eels are in the process of putting together an offer they hope will prevent him from joining Canberra or staying on as boss of the Blues. The developments come as Kearney's predecessor, Daniel Anderson, claimed the coaching job ''is not a poisoned chalice'' and said a swift turnaround in the club's fortunes was possible.
The Sun-Herald can reveal that, should the Eels and Stuart not come to terms, one of the fallback options is Cronulla coach Flanagan. Other candidates including Jason Taylor, Mick Potter and former assistant Matt Cameron will be considered, but Flanagan could be the wildcard. Melbourne's Craig Bellamy is also believed to have been mentioned among Eels directors.
Flanagan only recently agreed to a contract extension at the Sharks, but it hasn't stopped the Eels from putting him on their shortlist. The 46-year-old played 33 games for Parramatta before joining their coaching staff when injury forced him into retirement. Given the ink has only just dried on his contract renewal, it's unlikely the Sharks will let him go without a fight. The Eels are desperate to get an experienced mentor to replace Kearney and could offer Flanagan a much more lucrative financial package.
Anderson, who was controversially punted to make way for Kearney, denied the next man appointed was on a hiding to nothing. ''It's not a poisoned chalice,'' he said yesterday. ''I never considered it a poisoned chalice. I considered it a privilege.''
Anderson guided the Eels to the 2009 grand final where they lost to a Melbourne outfit rorting the salary cap. He was axed at the end of the next season with a year left on his contract and the Eels have subsequently tumbled further down the table following Kearney's appointment.
Anderson has maintained a dignified silence since, refusing to be critical of the club he always dreamed of coaching and still supports.
Asked if he felt for Kearney, Anderson replied: ''I don't wish that upon Steve nor anyone. Unfortunately that's part of the employment, but not a nice part of the employment, that's for sure. Coaches go with their eyes wide open. They know there's going to be pressure and you hope it doesn't end badly.
''You know if there is a lack of success it will be on your shoulders. I don't think any coach would absolve themselves. I certainly wouldn't either.'' Anderson, a commentator with ABC Radio, said factors such as fan expectation and media scrutiny made the Eels role a unique challenge. Asked who should be the next full-time coach, he said: ''I won't speculate. But I think something is well and truly down the track. I don't think it's a position you lobby for. I think they had a plan B the whole time.''
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/national/national/sport/eels-look-at-flanagan-but-stuart-a-near-certainty/2631470.aspx?storypage=0

Gronk

Staff member
Taylor keen on NRL return
ADRIAN PROSZENKO, DANIEL LANE
22 Jul, 2012 03:00 AM
JASON TAYLOR has revealed his desire to coach again in the NRL as he joins a shortlist of candidates for the vacant Parramatta job.
NSW coach Ricky Stuart remains the front-runner for the post, although he is not short of options. He is also in the mix to take over at Canberra if David Furner gets the flick, while the NSWRL is trying to entice him to stay on for the next State of Origin campaign.
Roosters under-20s coach Taylor, who guided the Eels to an unlikely finals appearance in a caretaker role after Brian Smith stepped down midway through the 2006 season, said he was interested in again taking the clipboard at the highest level. ''Definitely, it's something I want to do if the right opportunity comes along,'' Taylor told The Sun-Herald. ''I'm working towards getting myself back into that position down the track.''
Taylor has a rich history at the club. He was the halfback during Parramatta's record-breaking run to the grand final in 2001 and coached the lower grades before being handed the NRL reins on an interim basis. Despite winning 10 of his 16 matches in charge, he was overlooked for the 2007 season in favour of Michael Hagan.
Taylor wouldn't be drawn on whether he was interested in the vacant Eels post. ''I played my last season at the Eels and was on the coaching staff for five-and-a-half years,'' he said. ''It's a great club and it should be at the top of the table. Let's hope, whichever way they go, they can get things back on track. I haven't spoken to anybody at the club. My feelings are that I have a lot of affection for the club.''
Taylor remains the only man to have coached South Sydney into the finals since 1989. Eels officials were keen for him to come aboard to assist Stephen Kearney this season, but the Kiwi mentor opposed the move. Taylor, a Herald columnist, has the advantage of having worked successfully with Parramatta's biggest-name players. Taylor fast-tracked the first-grade careers of Jarryd Hayne and Chris Sandow, the marquee signing who has failed to fire since joining the club from Souths.
Eels board members gathered yesterday to discuss their options as they prepare to make one of the most important calls in the club's history. Eels chief executive Bob Bentley revealed senior players such as Nathan Hindmarsh could be consulted before a final call is made. ''I think that's probably part of the process, given they've had some input in previous years, as I understand,'' he said. ''We have to wait for the dust to settle; we don't want to be rushed into making a decision.''
Parramatta's 16-10 upset win against Melbourne last night was Kearney's final match with the club, with assistant Brad Arthur tasked to lead the cellar dwellers for the rest of the season.
Former Parramatta player and coach Mick Cronin believed Kearney should have been given the opportunity to see out the final year of his contract. But now that the decision to part with Kearney has been made, he backed Stuart as the logical replacement. ''Of the options available he'd be my choice,'' Cronin said. ''He gives the impression he can be a bit ruthless, he can go in and make a few decisions. He's had success and being involved in State of Origin for the past couple of years he's got that drawing power with the players. But if you're a coach of Ricky Stuart's standard and you saw the dramas there, would you go to Parra?''
The decision could have ramifications for incumbent Parramatta directors given the board elections are held early next year. Cronin ruled out running a rival ticket. Stuart's manager, John Fordham, said there had been no decision made on Stuart's immediate coaching future and he expected negotiations would go for a few more days. ''Negotiations still in progress, nothing resolved.''
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/national/national/sport/taylor-keen-on-nrl-return/2631468.aspx?storypage=0

Kenny

Juniors
Stuart will be bringing his own support crew. I heard a whisper that Stuart will be bringing Trent Barrett to the club as an assistant. Has anyone heard that? Let's hope he can bring some new players too.