What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italy Withdraw from the European Shield

deluded pom?

Coach
Other than an article in Monday's LE I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. The "reason" given a very vague "The feeling is it's not going to be suitable for them this year". Nothing other than that. The article then goes on to say that Anthony Laffranchi and Craig Gower have indicated their intentions to put their names forward for the Italian WC squad. In the ideal world the Italians should tell Gower and Laffranchi to go take a hike unless they make themselves available for all Italian matches, injuries allowing. I'm sure the woodwork will be creaking with heritage Italians (and Americans) once it comes around to naming the WC squads.

deal.with.it

Juniors
What was the reasoning behind Tonga's court case about the minimum number of domestic players in world cup squad's in 2008?
I'm still in favour of having say a minimum 5 of a squad of 22 being domestic players.

RedVee

First Grade
Well this sucks. You'd hope that the WC qualification would give them a little leverage with the players. Ie you want a WC spot you need to be available for Italy from now on.

deluded pom?

Coach
Well this sucks. You'd hope that the WC qualification would give them a little leverage with the players. Ie you want a WC spot you need to be available for Italy from now on.

Yep but we all know what will actually happen.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
I thought that the Euro shield was finished now until next year as the comp runs over 2 years not one like previously. Germany dont play until next year now. Maybe somebody knows differently!

deal.with.it

Juniors
I thought that the Euro shield was finished now until next year as the comp runs over 2 years not one like previously. Germany dont play until next year now. Maybe somebody knows differently!

There are still 2 games remaining for 2012. Both in September in Russia.
Russia vs Italy 8th Sept
Russia vs Serbia 22nd Sept

So that makes little sense for Italy to withdraw now?
They still have another match to play in 2 weeks time.

And if the RLEF gets their way, all matches from 2012 to 2016 count towards 2017 world cup qualification. So Italy withdrawing will jeapardise their qualification...

welshmagpie

Juniors
Spud, from the rlef website...

Pending RLIF confirmation of the format for the 2017 RLWC, the RLEF has proposed that the 2014-15 Shield acts as a qualifying tournament, meaning that all 24 European Shield matches between 2012 and 2015 are essentially world cup qualifiers.**

roughyedspud

Coach
i'd argue italy are a step or 2 above euro shield level now...and really need to be playing in the european cup with the likes of wales,france,ireland,scotland

deal.with.it

Juniors
I would agree that with a mix of pro and domestic players they could compete in euro cup.
Counting against them is the domestic split. The current governing body doesn't have enough domestic teams to be rewarded with a spot in the current professionally run euro cup in my opinion.
I would rather serbia be rewarded. I'm sure they would be if they had heritage players.
Which comp is lebanon playing in? They should probs be competing for a euro cup spot.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
and in your opinion italy could compete in the pacific cup..........we'll leave it there shall we lol

and heritage players or not italy have made the step up to world cup level.....sadly serbia & lebanon have'nt yet....i can see the italians doing pretty well too...and its that what we need to build on....thats why they should be moved into the european cup.

deluded pom?

Coach
and in your opinion italy could compete in the pacific cup..........we'll leave it there shall we lol

and heritage players or not italy have made the step up to world cup level.....sadly serbia & lebanon have'nt yet....i can see the italians doing pretty well too...and its that what we need to build on....thats why they should be moved into the european cup.

All that would happen 'spud is the heritage players wouldn't play in the EC and domestic Italy would get flogged as they did last time they played in the EC.

druzik

Juniors
Other than an article in Monday's LE I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. The "reason" given a very vague "The feeling is it's not going to be suitable for them this year". Nothing other than that. The article then goes on to say that Anthony Laffranchi and Craig Gower have indicated their intentions to put their names forward for the Italian WC squad. In the ideal world the Italians should tell Gower and Laffranchi to go take a hike unless they make themselves available for all Italian matches, injuries allowing. I'm sure the woodwork will be creaking with heritage Italians (and Americans) once it comes around to naming the WC squads.

Last edited:

Latest posts