What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many years to fix Kearney's mess?

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm pretty sure the refs are the ones giving away the 'dumb penalties'. He has had a few head scratchers go against him this year. He doesn't seem to be that ill-disciplined to me and played some terrific footy this year.

I also think he has the makings of a great leader which is what you want from your captain.

He's been charged 3 times by the judiciary this season though, accepting the early guilty plea each time. Really that's a lot for in one season.

I don't think he can fix it. He is too much of a frustrated hot head to be coaching kids.

Some glaring issues i have with this bloke as a club coach. Despite being a 7 has never had a 7 thrive under his coaching. That is despite having ample talent to work with over the years. He is addicted to defence. It worked wonders at the Roosters, a mature side on the verge of a premiership window. They came out and smashed sides with their defence, young sides with too few pre-seasons cant hope to do that and it eventually fails. His recruiting, he never had to do it at the roosters, Gus had already built the side. At the sharks he wasted money on poor quality overrated players. His answer to everything is to put more and more pressure on players. He treats himself as an entity outside of the club structure, and at the sharks just lumped blame on the players, this is despite his old mate phill gould offering to help him because 'ricky cant coach attack', which ended in outright war between the two.

In origin his style works well, aggressive defence, passion etc. That doesn't work at club level, not with kids. In the Origin series his lack of attacking coaching was there to be seen again. Despite having picked a very mobile pack NSW failed to move QLD around the park. There were no set plays for Uate or Hayne or Stewart back through the centre of the field to take advantage of QLD's lack of lateral movement. He isn't a tactical coach's arse.

I think for the money you blokes paid him, you wont be happy with the results. Another knee jerk appointment by an administration way out of its depth.

I'm not sold on Ricky but I think if he can deliver a rocket to underperforming players, well it could be a start. Also on his origin attack I am not sure he had much to work with. Only weeks later I watched the 2 NSW halves battle out a draw after extra time. You would think a half of origin standard would have closed out that game somehow.
In saying this I can't see anything but another season of woe. I usually approach the next year full of optimism but I am going to be prepared for a Hindmarshless season where I don't think we will offer the comp anything.
I am saddened to write this. Nevertheless go Parra.

Latest posts