What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian club teams could help save game in Britain

DC_fan

Coach

DateSeptember 13, 2012 - 9:14AM
Steve Mascord

DISCORD
IMAGINE if an NRL club suspended the sale of season tickets and the chairman offered up this as the reason: "I'm not going to ask fans to spend their hard earned cash until I can safely say to them we will be going around again for the year."
That's what Hull KR chairman Neil Hudgell told the Hull Daily Mail on Tuesday.
In the same week that broke Bradford Bulls were sold for £150,000 to businessman Omar Khan, another one of our most famous clubs faces an uncertain future.
Yet in the NRL, we've had a windfall of $1.025 billion and players are waiting to hear if there will be a big 'thank you' cheque put in their account over the summer in the lead-up to a greatly increased salary cap in 2013.
Advertisement
The contrast is actually very painful if you care about the game – and I'm not just talking about the likelihood of NRL clubs signing all Britain's best players..
England and Great Britain were once great white hopes for UK sport in an era when the country won nothing. They got government funding, hosted the Kangaroos and two World Cups, and the optimism was perhaps based on the fact they only needed to beat two serious rivals to be World Champions, a numerically easier task than that faced by national sides in other sports.
But they didn't win.
Now, a little over a decade later, the rugby union team won a World Cup, there are champions in many other sports and the Olympics have been successfully hosted with a swag of gold medals into the bargain.
Where does that leave our game?
Rugby league gave away its naming rights, its Welsh club went broke, the BBC ditched poorly-attended earlier rounds of the Challenge Cup, Bradford called for public donations to keep their doors open and now the businessmen running Rovers are sick to the back teeth of the red ink that has spread from their jumpers to their books.
Internationally, England recently approached Sandor Earl, a New Zealand Maori representative who wants to play for NSW, to turn out on the wing for them.
Sure, the UK is in deep depression. Sure, rugby league is based in areas that are hit harder by that depression than others.
But should things be this bad? Really?
A dramatic decrease in the number of teams in Super League and a rationalisation of the game nationwide seems essential. Great things are being done in junior development away from the heartlands.
But can anyone give me a plausible argument that he professional game is not in a complete mess?
Perhaps the only way to stop a flood of Englishmen to the NRL, leaving Super League as something akin to the Queensland Cup, is to do what officials in Brisbane, Newcastle, Townsville, Wollongong, Canberra and the rest have done over the past 40 years when faced with the same situation.
They entered a team in the NRL (or its predecessor). It's a long way to Leeds. But it's a long way from Dunedin to Pretoria too; the rahrahs manage it.
And, as I wrote previously in Discord, the same solution might work in reverse.
If the West Coast Pirates, Brisbane Bombers, Central Coast Bears and Port Moresby Vipers are as cashed up as they say they are, maybe they should be applying to join Super League....
Right now, Red Hall needs all the help it can get.​

LeedsStorm

Juniors

DateSeptember 13, 2012 - 9:14AM
Steve Mascord

DISCORD
IMAGINE if an NRL club suspended the sale of season tickets and the chairman offered up this as the reason: "I'm not going to ask fans to spend their hard earned cash until I can safely say to them we will be going around again for the year."
That's what Hull KR chairman Neil Hudgell told the Hull Daily Mail on Tuesday.
In the same week that broke Bradford Bulls were sold for £150,000 to businessman Omar Khan, another one of our most famous clubs faces an uncertain future.
Yet in the NRL, we've had a windfall of $1.025 billion and players are waiting to hear if there will be a big 'thank you' cheque put in their account over the summer in the lead-up to a greatly increased salary cap in 2013.
Advertisement
The contrast is actually very painful if you care about the game ? and I'm not just talking about the likelihood of NRL clubs signing all Britain's best players..
England and Great Britain were once great white hopes for UK sport in an era when the country won nothing. They got government funding, hosted the Kangaroos and two World Cups, and the optimism was perhaps based on the fact they only needed to beat two serious rivals to be World Champions, a numerically easier task than that faced by national sides in other sports.
But they didn't win.
Now, a little over a decade later, the rugby union team won a World Cup, there are champions in many other sports and the Olympics have been successfully hosted with a swag of gold medals into the bargain.
Where does that leave our game?
Rugby league gave away its naming rights, its Welsh club went broke, the BBC ditched poorly-attended earlier rounds of the Challenge Cup, Bradford called for public donations to keep their doors open and now the businessmen running Rovers are sick to the back teeth of the red ink that has spread from their jumpers to their books.
Internationally, England recently approached Sandor Earl, a New Zealand Maori representative who wants to play for NSW, to turn out on the wing for them.
Sure, the UK is in deep depression. Sure, rugby league is based in areas that are hit harder by that depression than others.
But should things be this bad? Really?
A dramatic decrease in the number of teams in Super League and a rationalisation of the game nationwide seems essential. Great things are being done in junior development away from the heartlands.
But can anyone give me a plausible argument that he professional game is not in a complete mess?
Perhaps the only way to stop a flood of Englishmen to the NRL, leaving Super League as something akin to the Queensland Cup, is to do what officials in Brisbane, Newcastle, Townsville, Wollongong, Canberra and the rest have done over the past 40 years when faced with the same situation.
They entered a team in the NRL (or its predecessor). It's a long way to Leeds. But it's a long way from Dunedin to Pretoria too; the rahrahs manage it.
And, as I wrote previously in Discord, the same solution might work in reverse.
If the West Coast Pirates, Brisbane Bombers, Central Coast Bears and Port Moresby Vipers are as cashed up as they say they are, maybe they should be applying to join Super League....
Right now, Red Hall needs all the help it can get.​

Uk clubs should enter the NRL. I've seen this written before....that's it! In a mental hospital..written in faeces

Come on, really? :D

roughyedspud

Coach
perhaps steve should look at the debts the NRL clubs are carrying before "trying to save the british game"

from earlier this year
http://afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/footy_clubs_face_millions_in_debt_R2N795VtwpeWt84JwrRbOJ
As NRL side Gold Coast Titans teeters on the brink of survival with debts of up to $35 million, many other football clubs around Australia are struggling financially.

The newly installed independent commission to run rugby league has appointed auditors to look into the situation at Gold Coast, which racked up most of the debts from building a Centre of Excellence adjacent to its Skilled Stadium home ground. The building has been plagued by court action.

But Gold Coast is not the only NRL club with financial difficulties. Just about all clubs are reliant on annual grants from their licensed clubs, while private owners have to dip into their pockets to fund the annual operating shortfalls.

The listed Brisbane Broncos are a rare success, recording a $1.36 million profit from revenue of almost $29 million in 2011, and paid a dividend to its shareholders.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...AustralianSportsNews+(The+Australian+|+Sport)

"For the majority of the Sydney-based clubs, each year when you open the doors for the first day of trading you know at the end of the year you're going to lose in the range between $2m and $5m.

"Hopefully, once the pie is carved up in a fair and reasonable manner the clubs will have an opportunity to run the business as a real business."

i'd go as far to say more clubs in super league return a profit each year than clubs in the NRL..

so look at your own game before passing judgement on ours!!

Big Sam

First Grade
i'd go as far to say more clubs in super league return a profit each year than clubs in the NRL..

so look at your own game before passing judgement on ours!!

So aside from Bradford and Hull KR, which other teams are in financial difficulty?

roughyedspud

Coach
So aside from Bradford and Hull KR, which other teams are in financial difficulty?

which proves what?? that RL league in britain is dying?? or that those clubs are run poorly..

i don't think its a coincidence that the like of bradford & hull kr,who have had a dire overseas selection policy,find themselves in the shit.....

Big Sam

First Grade
which proves what?? that RL league in britain is dying?? or that those clubs are run poorly..

i don't think its a coincidence that the like of bradford & hull kr,who have had a dire overseas selection policy,find themselves in the shit.....

Was just an innocent question - am not that familiar with the situation there. If it's just 2 clubs I'd say it means they're run poorly and the whole comp's not dying.

deluded pom?

Coach
It depends what you mean by run poorly. There are a few teams in SLE that are propped up by wealthy individuals. A dangerous game to play. The reliance on such a narrow base of finance will surely come back to haunt some of them.

roughyedspud

Coach
It depends what you mean by run poorly. There are a few teams in SLE that are propped up by wealthy individuals. A dangerous game to play. The reliance on such a narrow base of finance will surely come back to haunt some of them.

some clubs are propped up be wealthy individuals...but some of them same clubs still make a profit........that can't be said for the sydney clubs..as that quote says...all of them start the season knowing they are going to lose $2-5MILLION

wigan made a profit for 2012
leeds made a pretty big profit in 2011....2012 numbers are'nt out yet
warrington made a profit in 2011...they made a small loss in 2012 due to HMCR stinging them for a one off bill..loiss was tiny though..£50k iirc?
st helens hard to imagine not making a decent profit this year
hull fc made their first loss in 2011 after 6 years of profit..

trust me the sky is'nt falling :lol:

nadera78

Juniors
Steve Mascord is a bit of a bug bear of mine. I know he loves the game desperately and he travels the world to cover as much RL as possible. But, he continually comes out with nonsense about how to 'save the game' or gives some piss poor excuse for the eligibility farce.

This article is patently a pile of crap. The only interesting thing in it is that once again Steve McNamara has been doing his best to cheapen the England jersey. F***ing Sandor Earl?

deluded pom?

Coach
some clubs are propped up be wealthy individuals...but some of them same clubs still make a profit........that can't be said for the sydney clubs..as that quote says...all of them start the season knowing they are going to lose $2-5MILLION

wigan made a profit for 2012
leeds made a pretty big profit in 2011....2012 numbers are'nt out yet
warrington made a profit in 2011...they made a small loss in 2012 due to HMCR stinging them for a one off bill..loiss was tiny though..£50k iirc?
st helens hard to imagine not making a decent profit this year
hull fc made their first loss in 2011 after 6 years of profit..

trust me the sky is'nt falling :lol:

Well that's five teams from a fourteen team division 'spud. What about the other nine? ;-)

Goddo

Bench
Well that's five teams from a fourteen team division 'spud. What about the other nine? ;-)
Exactly.

Writing off the NRL clubs finances because of leagues club grants is a bit stupid (I hate it when jurnos do it). Leagues clubs exist to fund football clubs. They are a different branch of the same organisation.

AFL clubs count gamming revenue on the football clubs profit sheet, and surprise surprise run at a profit. NRL clubs seperate those two entities.

Doesn't help that until now the games TV rights were undersold either. The game in Australia is getting stronger.

Can that be said of SL? Its going sidewards if not backwards. Reduce the comp to 12 teams and re introduce promotion and relegation, and make both championships 14 teams.

I think SL has screwed with its structures looking for a quick fix too much. The good bits are a small but elite top level, relegation, the cup. Reduce costs and stop trying to copy Origin and the NRL's structures - they work in Australia, but that doesn't mean they will in the UK.

EDIT: Asside, France is a bit different, and I hope they go with a structure more like the NRL, as it will work better there (if the comp ever gets going).

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
The problem with re introducing P & R as it used to be is that you're asking teams to go from a semi pro league to a full time one in a matter of months. I'm in favour of P & R coming back but how you'd go about it is a totally different kettle of fish.

roughyedspud

Coach

what i was getting at is clubs that are run properly make money..or at least break even....hell widnes made £1million profit while playing in the championship...

roughyedspud

Coach
someone wrote this on RLfans

The TV money SL clubs recieve is enough to cover competitive squad in SL imo (1.32mil - 1.69 mil are the figures used on this thread) £1.5mil would be the average. Gate receipts, shirt sponsor, kit manufacturer, other sponsors, corporate money, grants and merchandise should be enough to cover staff wages and all other day to day cost imo as long as your chairman/CEO knows what he is doing so why clubs are reported to be on the edge of bankruptcy is beyond me.

bingo

roughyedspud

Coach
http://therfl.co.uk/news/article/26179/record-crowds-watch-super-league

The 2012 Stobart Super League season has proved a big hit at the turnstiles with record crowds flocking to see the action during the regular season.

A total of 1.88 million fans witnessed the drama unfold during the 27-round campaign, a 6.7 per cent increase on 2011’s figure of 1.77 million and the highest aggregate attendance since Super League’s inception in 1996.

The weekly average across the competition rose once again, with an average of 9,950 fans attending every game.

League Leaders Wigan Warriors recorded the highest average club attendance for the third consecutive season with an average of 16,043 fans attending each game at the DW Stadium.

The aggregate attendance of 88,425 recorded during the Easter Weekend this season was the second highest total recorded during one round of competition in Super League history, just 931 behind the record set at 89,356 set in Round 22 of 2010.

“The crowds we have witnessed this season have reflected the growing appeal of Super League across the country and are testament to the extraordinary action we see on display in the Super League.” said RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood

1.88million fans.......thats £25million+ in gate receipts easily

Last edited:

Latest posts