What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji doesn't sound happy ...

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I missed the Footy Show, so this is the first report I've seen about the Sheens drama, Beau Ryan leaving etc. This is from the SMH, mostly Benji's reactions to Beau & Heighington leaving. He even verges on some criticism of Sheens!

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/sheens-survives-at-tigers-for-now-20120920-269u6.html

Sheens survives at Tigers for now
AAP

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens survived the NRL club's Thursday night board meeting, but his job will be part of a club review over the coming weeks.
Speculation mounted on Thursday that Sheens' 10-year career at the Tigers was to come to an immediate end at the meeting, following a disappointing 2012 season and in the wake of rumours of a player revolt against him.
Manly assistant Matt Parish was already being linked as Sheens' likely successor, with Nathan Brown and Jason Taylor also said to be in the running.
However, chief executive Stephen Humphreys said in a statement on Thursday night that Sheens was safe for now until a thorough review was completed.

"We will complete our review process in a prompt but orderly fashion," Humphreys said in a statement.
"It would be inappropriate for us to make further comment."
Sacking Sheens midway through his deal would be financially very costly for the Tigers, but it would appear the veteran coach, who won a premiership with the joint-venture side in 2005, is now under immense pressure to keep his job.
Reports of player dissatisfaction with Sheens came after popular long-serving stars Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington were this week allowed to leave and join rival club Cronulla for the 2013 season.
Tigers superstar Benji Marshall slammed the club for their treatment of Ryan and Heighington when speaking on Channel Nine's The Footy Show on Thursday night, but it was unclear whether he was directly criticising his coach.
Marshall, who has always enjoyed a close relationship with the four-time premiership winner said that Sheens shouldn't be shown the door unless there was a better candidate available.
"I've got the upmost respect for Tim as a coach and a friend ... we don't always agree eye to eye on a lot of things and we've had our moments but his coaching ability no doubt is up there with the best in the world and you don't replace a coach unless there's someone better," said Marshall.
"If they find someone better then maybe it might be time for a change, but is there someone better?
"Where do I start? I think as a player we're just as confused as the fans and the sponsors are.
"They're (Ryan and Heighington) not just any players, one's played over 200 games for the Tigers and holds the record for most games at the club in Chris Heighington and the other guy (Ryan), what he brings on the field and his marketability for the club, I just don't understand it."
Marshall said he broke down in tears when told that good friends Heighington and Ryan were being forced out of the club.
"They had deals on the table that to my knowledge were done and at the end of the day it got turned around on them and they're going to end up at the Sharks and as a mate it's pretty hard to swallow and more importantly from a club perspective, no one wanted to see them go and it's pretty heartbreaking to tell you the truth," Marshall said.
"It's not always about winning and losing, and for me our culture was always about the people we had in the club and they're two of the greatest and two of my best mates. The fashion they've left doesn't suit the club we are and that's the most disappointing thing for me in my heart anyway."

moller

Juniors
Few more quotes here - if the sentiment of this story is true, Sheens is a dead man walking.

Sheens in limbo during review

September 21, 2012

Glenn Jackson
Rugby League Writer

TIM SHEENS is safe for now. Whether the Wests Tigers coach remains depends on the result of a review into the club's failings - as well as the significance of player rumblings.

The Wests Tigers board met for more than three hours last night to discuss the future of the coach. As they did so, player dissatisfaction was becoming clearer; Benji Marshall admitted to the Herald that he was disillusioned and confused by the player turnover. ''I don't really like what's going on,'' he said.

How much emphasis the board puts on the players' sentiments remains to be seen, but chief executive Stephen Humphreys confirmed that Sheens's future would form a part of the club's review.

''We're reviewing all parts of the business, including the football department,'' he said. ''Our priority is to get it [the review] right, and we'll address that issue in the coming days. But at this point in time, we don't want to feel pressured to do something quickly. We want to do the right thing … we're making good progress but we're not quite there yet.

Advertisement
''Tim loves the game, loves our club and would love to stay involved, but we need to review all aspects of the business, including that aspect. We're getting close to a conclusion on that.''

Humphreys added that there was an ''expectation of success in all areas of our business''. ''Nobody in any part of our club is satisfied with our 2012 performances, and we're all committed to doing everything we can to ensure improved results,'' he said. ''[But] we will complete our review process and agree our future plan in a prompt but orderly manner, to ensure the best possible outcomes for our club.''

Sheens's position is under threat following a disappointing season, which was followed by unrest over the decision to allow Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan to depart for Cronulla.

His position as coach was relatively secure on Sunday. As the week dragged on, though, it became far more tenuous. On Monday morning, players became aware that two of their most popular teammates were leaving. By the afternoon, many of them had assembled at the Oaks Hotel at Neutral Bay – including Ryan and Heighington – in defiant support of them. By evening, many had turned against the coach.

Last year, props Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Fifita left for Cronulla, and when the exodus of players continued this week (Blake Ayshford has also been urged to look elsewhere), following a season in which the Tigers missed the finals, the players’ unhappiness returned and multiplied. They still trained on Tuesday, under Sheens, but the sentiment among some had become clear to officials and board members.

Sheens signed a three-year deal last year, which was expected to take him through until the end of 2014.

Terminating that deal would require a payout. Tigers officials had previously concluded that, while disappointed that the pre-season premiership favourites had missed the finals, there was no better man to replace Sheens.

But that was before this week, when the players started to grumble.

While Marshall would not speculate about the future of Sheens, who brought him into first grade, he acknowledged that the impending departures of Heighington and Ryan were at odds with him. ‘‘I just don’t think it’s right,’’ the halfback said.

‘‘Culture’s an important thing for me. Culture’s about the people involved at the club. That’s why this confuses me.‘

‘‘Heighno’ holds the record for the most games at the club. To be treated the way that he has ... from a culture point of view, we like to look after our own, and Heighno is one of our own. The fans love him, and the players love him. Heighno is one of those players that everyone in the team plays for.

‘‘Beau has been one of our best players this year, and what he does for us away from the game is unbelievable. I don’t really understand why this is happening. It confuses me,’’ Marshall said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ring-review-20120920-269lz.html#ixzz271Mi4cEG

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Less mates, more winning

I was surprised and disappointed with Beau. He is carrying on like he didn't win
a prize during pass the parcel. If he hasn't got the guts to fight for his position at the
Tigers, then he will fit right in at Cronulla.

I was sorry to see Beau go due to his marketability and on the basis he was a
passable player, but that was pathetic.

Reading that article, I think some of these friendships need to be broken. The players
sound like they are running the show.

They need to stand by Sheens now, Benji can't be allowed to pick the team.

Last edited:

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
No wonder we get lapped
The players view it as a social club as if they are throwing the ball round with their mates at Timbrell park on a wednesday night
They're pissweak and the fact that culture has been allowed to fester is on the coach's head

gronkathon

First Grade
12 months on and still having a sook about Bryce f**king Gibbs being moved on.......

f**k you and your losing, self absorbed culture you pack of mongs.

I go to a fair few reserve grade games and it always suprises me that every other club seems to have a plethora of first grade players attending to support their team mates but with us it is basically Aaron Woods, Adam Blair and occasionally Ayshford. The rest are nowhere to be seen. It is obvious which clubs have a culture to be proud of and it sure as f**k isn't ours

hybrid_tiger

Coach
This is the shake up we have needed for a long time. The sooks are not getting their own way anymore. Good.

Benji goes on and on about our "culture". Well guess what champ, the culture is a losing one and it stinks.

jasonl

Juniors
God, this is embarassing.

Paul Vautin's sensitive interview with "our Beau", wherein Ryan softly explains the rivers of tears that he and BFF Benji shed at the devastating turn of events this week.

Came off like Channel 9 channeling The Shire.

FFS, this is professional rugby league princess - players get bought, released, dropped and traded every day. Often it's painful sure (think Matt Johns being released by Newcastle etc) but that's the nature of professional sport. Suck it up and move on and leave the childish histrionics to politicians and talent show contestants.

At the end of the day Rugby League is a business - pure and simple.

Fact is that anyone who knows anything about football and can choke back the sobs for more than 30 seconds knows that Heighington's best days are well behind him and Ryan is a long way from ever being a top flight NRL winger. Yes, they're lovely guys and are fun to be around but unfortunately that doesn't necessarily win premierships.

Like Micheal Corleone said ... "It's not personal ... it's business".

As to the players carrying on like crushed lovestruck schoolgirls ... well hell, maybe I'm just getting old.

Still, thinking back to when John Dorahy, Les Boyd and Ray Brown got taken by Manly, I wonder if Tommy and Dallas got together for a few cosmopolitans and a good weep ...

... or just got on with it.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Still, thinking back to when John Dorahy, Les Boyd and Ray Brown got taken by Manly, I wonder if Tommy and Dallas got together for a few cosmopolitans and a good weep ...

Nah, I reckon they looked forward to the next match with Manly to stick it to them. I know from what Steve Knight has said there was no love lost on the field between ex Magpies (esp in Manly colours) and the Maggies when on the field.,,,,,, Ah, those were the days. Get that DVD 'Fibros and Silvertails'.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Benji said if there is a better coach maybe it is time for a change. Does that equally apply to if there is a better forward than Heighington it's time for a change. How about asking Benji if there is a better fullback than Moltzen maybe it's time for a change.

I like Beau but from his interview it seems his main reason for leaving was that he wasn't the priority signing. He was told there would be a contract for him to sign on Monday and there was.
I will miss him but It was his decision to leave so no more sob stories about poor Beau please.

Sphagnum

Coach
It's a pretty alarming indictment for the culture of the club. Benji says things like 'it's never been about money' yet most of these blokes have to go just so the club can continue to pay him.

Loyalty died a long time ago and the club should be applauded for not over-reacting to the outcry of the supporters and media. Under a challenging cap and a competitive market, tought decisions must be made.

Beau and benji should take a leaf out of Farah's book and STFU. They're making the club look like a joke. This attitude they have clearly explains why they were so dreadful this year.

Maybe the real problem down there is not Tim Sheens, it's Benji F@$cken Marshall

N.C.

Juniors
Benji Marshall is Tim Sheens.

..and vice versa.

The longer they maintain their association with one another, the longer it will take the both of them to realise that they need another 16 football players in the team to be competitive in this competition. Not twleve blokes that Benji gets on really well with and a handful of 'good prospects' from the Toyota Cup.

God-King Dean

Immortal
"If they find someone better then maybe it might be time for a change, but is there someone better?"

That pretty much confirms he's going, don't you think?

You don't say that about a coach you support.

go to a fair few reserve grade games and it always suprises me that every other club seems to have a plethora of first grade players attending to support their team mates but with us it is basically Aaron Woods, Adam Blair and occasionally Ayshford. The rest are nowhere to be seen. It is obvious which clubs have a culture to be proud of and it sure as f**k isn't ours
I agree and have said the same thing on other threads gronkathon.

I have seen the entire Bulldogs NRL team at Leichhardt 2 or 3 years back to support their NSW Cup team. I have seen the entire Bulldogs NRL team at Belmore playing the Tigers in a NSW Cup semi and did not see 1 Wests Tigers player, OK I'll admit, I didn't see all in the crowd but certainly the Bulldog players stood out.

Culture, a good CEO like Greenberg drives that home. Humpty, well who knows and it would appear that he doesn't know.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Maybe the apparent non-appearance of the WT NRL squad players at the lower grade matches is just another manesfestation of Sheens behaviour in non selection of lower grade players to fill for injury / suspension (or god forbid poor form). Sheens would rather reshuffle the entire team to fix a vacancy than bring in someone from lower grades. I think that attitude can rub off on the players and they begin to consider the lower grades 'not worth the effort' and become even more insular.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
God, this is embarassing.

Paul Vautin's sensitive interview with "our Beau", wherein Ryan softly explains the rivers of tears that he and BFF Benji shed at the devastating turn of events this week.

Came off like Channel 9 channeling The Shire.

FFS, this is professional rugby league princess - players get bought, released, dropped and traded every day. Often it's painful sure (think Matt Johns being released by Newcastle etc) but that's the nature of professional sport. Suck it up and move on and leave the childish histrionics to politicians and talent show contestants.

At the end of the day Rugby League is a business - pure and simple.

Fact is that anyone who knows anything about football and can choke back the sobs for more than 30 seconds knows that Heighington's best days are well behind him and Ryan is a long way from ever being a top flight NRL winger. Yes, they're lovely guys and are fun to be around but unfortunately that doesn't necessarily win premierships.

Like Micheal Corleone said ... "It's not personal ... it's business".

As to the players carrying on like crushed lovestruck schoolgirls ... well hell, maybe I'm just getting old.

And John Ribot, not that I'm still bitter after all these years LOL