What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO 13 Game 1: Official NSW Squad

Pig Mouth

Juniors
The team was picked yesterday, has everyone got the whinging out of their system now? I think all the prefered players have been covered.

Its set in stone, nothing will change it, so how about we just get behind the boys and support them for a win and stop riding them to lose.

How can you keep getting behind the FAIL TRAIN and not have a winge about the side that has been utterly sh*t for almost a decade. Of course the people of NSW are frustrated with the pathetic excuse for a team that can only deliver a loss. And selecting the same shithouse players time and time again is not going to help their cause.

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result.

QLD for the win.

Dragon2010

First Grade
How can you keep getting behind the FAIL TRAIN and not have a winge about the side that has been utterly sh*t for almost a decade. Of course the people of NSW are frustrated with the pathetic excuse for a team that can only deliver a loss. And selecting the same shithouse players time and time again is not going to help their cause.

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result.

QLD for the win.

Because it's what a supporter does?

They stick true to their team though thick and thing, through good and bad.

Remember, only one point divided both the teams last year. They gap between NSW and QLD is closing. The team is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. We are in with a good of chance as any.

Jason Maher

Immortal

QLD for the win.

I've read your posts a few times now, and I have to say I can confirm your penultimate sentence. My brain cells keep committing suicide, but I read your next post expecting a different outcome. Insanity.

Edit: The team I named at the end of last year:

Hayne
Morris
Morris
Jennings
Uate
Carney
Reynolds
Gallen (c)
Lewis
Bird
Tamou
Farah
Grant

Merrin
Woods
Watmough
T. Sims

I still think this is better than the team selected. Only changes I'd make on reflection 7 months later would be Maloney instead of Reynolds. I can live with Fergo instead of Uate and Fifita instead of Woods or Sims. What I can't live with is Mitchell f**king Pearce over either Reynolds or Carney, Hoffman over Woods, Grant, Sims, Mannah, or pretty much anyone (shoving Gallen to prop to accommodate him makes his selection even worse), and of course Kidley.

Last edited:

Tommax25

Bench
Gidley again ffs. I don’t get the point. He has to be the luckiest player in history to be certain of a spot all the time. I bet the likes of Sutton wished they had Gidley as a surname and were guaranteed all rep jerseys that are available solely on that fact. Honestly, I don’t know why Gidley doesn’t retire from the Knights to spend more time on his preparation for SOO. It is certainly a more stable and reliable job for him that at the Knights. Bennet could drop him at any time if the team starts going downhill. NSW have lost 7 straight and Gidley never gets dropped, so there’s not a chance of that happening.

As others have already said: not enough props. Better team:

Hayne
Morris
Jennings
Morris
Ferguson
Maloney
Pearce
Woods
Farah
Tamou
Hoffman
Bird
Gallen

Watmough
Lewis
Merrin
Fifita

(I know Pearce is still there but tbh there is no point even talking about someone else playing there with what Daley has done. I bet Reynolds wishes he had a famous surname too. Heck, I bet even having the Gidley surname would have been enough to get him a run.)

Joker's Wild

Coach

QLD for the win.

Whinging I can cop but when it continues on and on and on and on it just becomes f**king stupid.

Fans dont select the sides, its out of our hands. Do we have to agree? No but at some point we need to support the lads who are picked and are running out to represent and fight for our state. 1995 proved what "inferior" players can do when the coach, staff, fanbase and supporters believe in them.

Being a Qlder, Id have thought you would understand the value in that. Maybe too many years of expecting victory has taken away this games true meaning for you.

BranVan3000

Coach
Gidley again ffs. I don?t get the point. He has to be the luckiest player in history to be certain of a spot all the time. I bet the likes of Sutton wished they had Gidley as a surname and were guaranteed all rep jerseys that are available solely on that fact. Honestly, I don?t know why Gidley doesn?t retire from the Knights to spend more time on his preparation for SOO. It is certainly a more stable and reliable job for him that at the Knights. Bennet could drop him at any time if the team starts going downhill. NSW have lost 7 straight and Gidley never gets dropped, so there?s not a chance of that happening.

As others have already said: not enough props. Better team:

Hayne
Morris
Jennings
Morris
Ferguson
Maloney
Pearce
Woods
Farah
Tamou
Hoffman
Bird
Gallen

Watmough
Lewis
Merrin
Fifita

(I know Pearce is still there but tbh there is no point even talking about someone else playing there with what Daley has done. I bet Reynolds wishes he had a famous surname too. Heck, I bet even having the Gidley surname would have been enough to get him a run.)
Souths players wont be picked as long as Bozo is the selector. Has nothing to do with Daley TBH

BranVan3000

Coach
I'm a Knights fan and I honestly hoped Gids wouldn't have been picked this year, but having said that, Gids' work in about 3 positions yesterday when the Knights lost Darius and Uate was very good, no Gidley brain snaps etc, he just covered the positions well in a beaten side, so in that respect I can see why he got picked over Sutton.
I'd drop Hoffman, and bring in Woods, with Gal in the 2nd row. The halves, I've never been a Pearce fan but I can see what they are trying to do by bringing club level knowledge to the big game.
For everyone whinging about Merritt he's like Uate, he might score 2 tries, but he'll let 4 in, something that can't be forgiven at Origin level, but does he deserve a shot? Probably, can we afford to do it looking down the barrel of 8 series losses, No.

Ah, Origin time 2.4 million coaches, 1 team lol :)

Playing well in a beaten side, sounds perfect for NSW Origin

BranVan3000

Coach
Because it's what a supporter does?

They stick true to their team though thick and thing, through good and bad.

Remember, only one point divided both the teams last year. They gap between NSW and QLD is closing. The team is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. We are in with a good of chance as any.

Gidley wasn't in the team last year. But performers like Tim Grant, Todd Carney were.mWhat has Gidley done to earn a recall after a forgettable 2011 series?

mongoose

Coach
Gallen is better at prop than lock IMO. He gets in the way playing lock and tries to do too much. At prop he can just focus on running forward, which is all he's good at.

Side is ok, the back 5 are perfect, However I would have Reynolds/Carney in the halves.

The Gidley selection is still puzzling and NSW should go with someone who could actually make an impact from the bench like Sutton.

firechild

First Grade
Woeful team. Picking inconsistent players on 2 weeks of decent games or out of form players barely playing at 1st grade standards, they're going to destroy us.

When is the last time a NSW based team has been league leaders without having 1 NSW player picked? Farcical. Laurie Daley has no idea.

Fill your team with Poms, Kiwis and Queenslanderps and then whinge about none of them getting selected for NSW? You are even dumber than I thought DunniesGimp. Sutton wouldn't have looked out of place but he's the only one that should be considered. Merritt would have had QLD rolling on the floor laughing, Reynolds will get his time and we've seen what happens when young halves get thrown in too early. It has been Sutton, Reynolds, Luke, Burgess (x2) and Inglis that have been so good for Souffs and 4 of them are not eligible for NSW.

BranVan3000

Coach
Fill your team with Poms, Kiwis and Queenslanderps and then whinge about none of them getting selected for NSW? You are even dumber than I thought DunniesGimp. Sutton wouldn't have looked out of place but he's the only one that should be considered. Merritt would have had QLD rolling on the floor laughing, Reynolds will get his time and we've seen what happens when young halves get thrown in too early. It has been Sutton, Reynolds, Luke, Burgess (x2) and Inglis that have been so good for Souffs and 4 of them are not eligible for NSW.

The problem is there is always an excuse against Souths players from the NSW squad. Sutton and Merritt are having their best seasons to date. Top performing five eight in the comp and top performing winger. Both are overlooked though, giving the same nonsense diatribe that kept Farah out of Origin for so long. "Not Origin material".

Rod

Bench
Merritt's best season to date still has him sitting about 5th in the pecking order. Thank god sanity prevailed and he didn't get picked.

Sutton could consider himself a tad unlucky to miss out on a bench spot maybe but there are others like Grant and Woods who are more unlucky than him.

ek999

First Grade
The problem is there is always an excuse against Souths players from the NSW squad. Sutton and Merritt are having their best seasons to date. Top performing five eight in the comp and top performing winger. Both are overlooked though, giving the same nonsense diatribe that kept Farah out of Origin for so long. "Not Origin material".

Koribete ran straight over the top of Merritt last week to score a try didn't he?

Hench

Juniors
I actually think it's a pretty good NSW team. If reports are true of us having a bench of Parker, Gillett, Teo and Mcqueen you guys should be favourites.

Only players I would have a problem with as a Blues fan is Hoffman and Gidley. Pearce is shit, we all understand this, but does anyone think Adam Reynolds might have been in for a rude suprise when he's not playing behind a dominant big pack like he does week in, week out. The poor kid wouldn't know what to do.

grandorient

Bench
Not really any major issues with the side.

Shame about Grant, however still 2 more to go this year and anything can happen.

Main thing now is to back the side and cheer them to a win in Sydney.

GO

Pig Mouth

Juniors
I've read your posts a few times now, and I have to say I can confirm your penultimate sentence. My brain cells keep committing suicide, but I read your next post expecting a different outcome. Insanity.

It's a genetic thing mate, not much you can do about it.

Knightmare

Coach
How does Maloney and Pearce have a better understanding of eachothers play when Cronk/Thurston have played with eachother at the elite level for years now both for Australia and Queensland but also have history dating back to when Cronk was at acacia ridge vs Thurston at sunnybank?

Thurston and Cronk have previous experience playing in the halves, that is true, but not on a weekly basis like Pearce and Maloney have been. They are going directly from a well-performing Roosters team to the NSW squad, their confidence will be up.

As for blaming Pearce for NSW not winning the series last year- you could also blame the officials' sudden (and rather creative) interpretation of the obstruction rule in Game 3. It only came down to a point anyway...

firechild

First Grade

When the going gets tough Merritt goes missing. Merritt is the kind of player that will score 3-4 tries against Parra but becomes the invisible man against Manly or Melbourne. Against QLD he would do absolutely nothing.

As I said, Sutton probably would have gone ok but Maloney is in great form and his combination with Pearce probably got him in the squad. Outisde of that there are no players that were ever in contention.

Keep in mind that Manly are a top 4 side and have been at the top for a long time and they only have 1 player selected. DCE could get a run if Cronk gets suspended but they won't have any more than that.

D

Deleted member 10972

Would have dropped Hoffman, started Watmough, and put Grant, Woods or Mannah onto the bench definitely.

Also would have gone with Wade Graham or Glenn Stewart over Skirt Sh*tley. How he keeps making a team yet contributes literally nothing is beyond me.

Latest posts