What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morris pot plant moment - was it a sin bin offence?

Loudstrat

Coach
I'm with Yosemite here. The moment they called for a review of the incident I arced up because Ballin was never square.

Infuriating.

Morris gets penalised for obstruction - I guess that was the ruling - of a player who would have (should have) been penalised if he did make the tackle to stop Gallen.
The point that matters is the play the ball - the foot touching the ball. Up to that point markers dont have to be square as defenders are still able to get back in line. You canot be penalised for offside before that play the ball. Besides, Ballin not being square didnt affect the play at all. There wasnt even a dummy half ffs! Nor was it the major issue.

Imagine if Ballin, not Morris, was penalised? Or to draw the obvious conlusion, a try was awarded because Ballin was going to be penalised anyway. Takes it to level (if onverted - and it was under the posts). Sharks were on top and most probably would have won.

Imagine going out because an offside defender too out a marker and they scored a match levelling try 3 minutes from fulltime. THAT would have been the biggese refereeing blunder of all time. I guess it would make Thurston's comments sound f*cking stupid.

What's the exact rule on dummy half btw? Once it's cleared the ruck it's fair game afaik. Ballin looked reluctant to run around and pick that ball up for fear of a penalty.
Most such plays get penalised these days, regardless of legality.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Anyone consider the fact Ballin might have had a chance to get square if Pot Plat Morris didnt take him out? :lol:

darkbloom

Juniors
The point that matters is the play the ball - the foot touching the ball. Up to that point markers dont have to be square as defenders are still able to get back in line. You canot be penalised for offside before that play the ball. Besides, Ballin not being square didnt affect the play at all. There wasnt even a dummy half ffs! Nor was it the major issue.

Imagine if Ballin, not Morris, was penalised? Or to draw the obvious conlusion, a try was awarded because Ballin was going to be penalised anyway. Takes it to level (if onverted - and it was under the posts). Sharks were on top and most probably would have won.

Imagine going out because an offside defender too out a marker and they scored a match levelling try 3 minutes from fulltime. THAT would have been the biggese refereeing blunder of all time. I guess it would make Thurston's comments sound f*cking stupid.

Most such plays get penalised these days, regardless of legality.

It looked to me like Morris interfered with Ballin AFTER the ball had been heeled back - therefore he was offside (unless I saw it wrong). Had he taken part in the play he would have been penalised.

I don't think I suggested Morris should not have been penalised nor that the try should have been awarded BUT there is a pretty big irony in the whole thing.

To have a try taken away because a player who was not eligible to be in play was obstructed is somewhat ironic.

Loudstrat

Coach
Ballin wasnt obstructed. He was tackled from a player in an offside position. How many penalties coul manly get from that? Offside. Tackling a player without the ball. Obstruction. And since when can an attacking player tackle a defender??????????

Jason Maher

Immortal
Ballin was offside, which he is allowed to be so long as he doesn't interfere with the play. If he had attempted a tackle, chased the player in possession, or dived on the loose ball, he would have (or should have) been regarded as interfering and penalised.

Fortunately for Ballin, John Morris decided to make all of that moot by tackling him.

Apey

Staff member
Johnny looked a bit grey in his post match interview, the poor bastard.

The only thing that shits me about it is the manly player made no attempt to stay standing, he felt the tug from behind and fell with him - they were both there on the ground flailing about like idiots.

I'd let the try stand for the diving alone, but the refs don't have that latitude.

Dumb dumb play and he knows it.

You're an idiot.