What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason

Tone83

Juniors
Does willie mason provide any value to a rugby league team whatsoever? Why is he still in first grade? He should be getting pissed and busted for drink driving in peaceful obscurity by now, poor bloke.

Card Shark

Immortal
He's been good for the Knights....maybe too good as he's slipped back into the comfort zone & dropped his guard.

Canard

Immortal
He was our team's best forward (if not best player) in 2012, and yet was not offered a contract past his that season.

Has to be a reason for that.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Not sure if they still do it anymore, but they used to list DUIs in the newspaper.

They still do in the Bundaberg News Mail's Saturday edition.

I always laugh when I read "Jane Doe of Bundaberg East, reading of 0.198, $1500 fine, 18 months suspension and 6 months jail for breaching her parole conditions."

Usually accompanied by a story that she was on her way to the local school to pick up her kids.... :lol:

Radical Rat

Juniors
I don't think some of you blokes realise how long grog stays in your system. I own a breathalyser. I had a BBQ at a mates place on Australia day and hit it pretty hard. I had my last beer at midnight and went to bed. I still blew .053 at 2pm the next day.

Having a big session can pretty much wipe you out from driving for the whole next day.

Frederick

Staff member
One of the radio stations around here reported it was Willie Nelson of the knights who was arrested.

I know we like to sign older guys, but we do draw the line somewhere :lol:

ek999

First Grade
I can't believe that he doesn't expect any punishment from the club over this.

Surely at a time when Newcastle have had numerous off field incidents they would be expecting their senior players to stand up and set a good example for the rest of the club to follow. Instead one of them hits the piss hard enough the night before a training session that he is done DUI 7.5 hours after his last drink. And then after speaking to the CEO of the club he thinks it will all be sweet

Mason is not expecting to be punished by the club for his indiscretion.
"I've spoken to Gids (CEO Matt Gidley) and I don't think there will be any action there," Mason said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wi...-hit-the-spirits/story-fndv33vy-1226811538560

:crazy:

Canard

Immortal
He rang Gids, and there was no issues.

PS I assume Gids and Mason would have played a bit of footy together for rep teams over the years?

OPINION: Dangers of alcohol - on and off the road By ROBERT DILLON Jan. 28, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

WHICH is the more serious and potentially dangerous offence: drink-driving or drink-tweeting?
In the eyes of the law, the answer would appear obvious. Police don’t set up random breath-testing units and suspend alcohol-affected offenders from using their Twitter accounts.
Whether the same logic applies in the eyes of Newcastle Knights management remains to be seen.
Since Willie Mason was arrested on Monday morning and charged with mid-range drink-driving, Knights officials have shed little light on how they plan to address this issue.
A Knights representative told the Newcastle Herald yesterday that ‘‘the club will continue to investigate this matter internally’’, while two perfunctory statements on the club’s website insisted there would be ‘‘no further comment until the matter is concluded’’, presumably after Mason appears in court on February 20.
But judging by an interview printed yesterday in the Knights’ official newspaper, the Daily Telegraph, the veteran forward is not anticipating disciplinary measures from the powers that be.
“I’ve spoken to Gids [CEO Matt Gidley] and I don’t think there will be any action there,” Mason was quoted as saying.
That may prove to be wishful thinking on Mason’s behalf.
Once he has been dealt with in court, the Knights may well feel obliged to enforce their own sanctions.
But on the off chance that the 33-year-old receives nothing more than a stern talking-to from coach Wayne Bennett, at least one former Newcastle player will be entitled to raise an eyebrow.
It is now more than three years since Mark Taufua parted company with his home-town club in controversial and costly circumstances.
Taufua, who had signed with Cronulla after five years at the Knights, made the mistake of mixing alcohol and Twitter in the days after Newcastle were bundled out of the 2011 play-offs.
In particular, Taufua caused a stir by labelling Bennett a ‘‘9ball’’ and revealing the master coach had been in Newcastle to meet with players just days before he coached the Dragons in a do-or-die final.
Even though Taufua had played his last game for Newcastle, and apologised both publicly and in person to Bennett, club officials saw fit to haul him before a disciplinary hearing and announce a $5000 fine.
Initially a fine of $12,500 – one month’s salary – was proposed, but it was reduced after a senior player successfully argued for leniency.
At the time, Gidley said Taufua was ‘‘a good guy’’ and noted the incident was ‘‘completely out of character’’.
Yet apparently Taufua still needed 5000 reminders to learn the error of his ways.
All of which brings us back to Mason, who was quite happy to lecture Canberra’s ‘‘senior players’’ last season about the club’s handling of serial miscreants Blake Ferguson and Josh Dugan.
‘‘I put it down to that club and the lack of leadership down there ... you don’t put your whole club underneath all that pressure,’’ Mason said on a Foxtel panel show.
Now Mason finds the boot on the other foot.
At a time when a member of the club’s leadership group should be setting an example – after much-publicised incidents involving Russell Packer, Zane Tetevano, Dane Gagai and club official Ben Rogers – big Willie has dropped the ball.
Moreover, judging by his attitude in yesterday’s interview, he hopes that after his heartfelt apology it will be play on, without so much as a penalty, let alone a stint in the sin bin.
Last night Mason was back on Twitter: ‘‘Just want to say thanks to all the support tweeps it really helps..obviously not everyone is happy. But whats done is done.#letsmoveon.’’
Parramatta’s Mitch Allgood and North Queensland’s James Tamou will be watching developments with interest.
Allgood was fined $10,000 recently by Parramatta – $5000 of it was suspended – after pleading guilty to mid-range drink-driving.
Tamou was banned for two matches, including Origin II, last year and fined $20,000 by the Cowboys for a high-range offence. It also cost him his $30,000 Origin appearance fee for the game he missed.
In announcing Tamou’s punishment, NRL chief executive Dave Smith said: ‘‘Drink-driving puts lives at risk.
‘‘Our players are well educated regarding alcohol management and there is no excuse for such behaviour.’’
Educated they may well be, but it seems some still haven’t learnt their lesson.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2051876/opinion-dangers-of-alcohol-on-and-off-the-road/?cs=306

From the knights perspective i wonder what the penalty would have been if he had made it to training and they noticed he was drunk? For anyone who blows .9 to not notice they are affected is bullshit anyways..,

Dogs Of War

Coach
This is where the nrl should have some standard punishments for common offences. Say 2 weeks suspension and 5% salary fine for low range drink driving, 4 weeks plus for high range. Repeat offender penalties should be tripled. At least it would get players thinking more, as well as the club who wants to ensure they don't lose players this way.

Knight Vision

First Grade
From the knights perspective i wonder what the penalty would have been if he had made it to training and they noticed he was drunk? For anyone who blows .9 to not notice they are affected is bullshit anyways..,
If Mason was 0.9 he would of been dead. At 0.09 a person may not even notice any impairment. In fact in many countries throughout the world 0.08 is the legal limit.

Latest posts