What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gagai misses emerging QLD training after Brisbane bender

QUEENSLAND'S Emerging Maroons camp was thrown into chaos last weekend when Newcastle Knights centre Dane Gagai went missing after a night out in Brisbane.
Maroons officials desperately attempted to sweep the matter under the carpet, but we can reveal that the 23-year-old had a night on the tiles during the January 17-19 camp and didn't front the next day for training.
The camp was being run by his Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett at the Queensland Academy of Sport in Brisbane.
Gagai, who missed a morning training session but surfaced later in the day, is said to be chastened by the incident.

He lives with his brother in Newcastle and has thrived under Bennett's strict reign.
One source close to the Maroons blamed the incident on the arrogance that comes with winning eight straight series.
Gagai is seen as an option to replace powerhouse centre Justin Hodges, with the Broncos star struggling to be fit for the Origin opener after tearing his achilles tendon late last season.

NSW officials have taken a different approach to discipline in the lead up to the 2014 series.
Boom prop James Tamou was brushed from last weekend's two-day Origin camp at Homebush, partly because of his pre-season training in Townsville but also because he missed a crucial pre-Christmas meeting.
The Tamou incident shows that Blues coach Laurie Daley isn't afraid to make tough calls.
While logistics made it difficult for the Townsville-based prop to attend, a Blues official said: "We're setting our standards a lot higher."
Tamou missed Origin II last year because of a drink-driving charge but turned his season around.
Blues officials are expecting him to do the same thing in this instance.

Link

DJShaksta

First Grade
LoL Daley - "We're setting our standards a lot higher"

In two months time, NSW Origin team: "No.7 Mitchell Pearce"

Nightward

Juniors
One source close to the Maroons blamed the incident on the arrogance that comes with winning eight straight series.

what is this i don't even

NSW tinfoil hattery much? Gagai is known to have carried on like this his entire career, it's why the Broncos gave him the flick in the first place.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Looks like my fellow Broncos fans and myself shouldn't be so quick to regret dumping this guy. He sounds like another Ferguson.

1qaz

Juniors
Oh please comparing him to Ferguson :roll:
When has Dane ever broken the law?
When has Dane ever been convicted of sexual assault?

The only thing he has been guilty of in this instance was putting his family first by attending a memorial service of one of his aunts.

Titanic

First Grade
The only thing he has been guilty of in this instance was putting his family first by attending a memorial service of one of his aunts.
Cry me a river ... he could have got permission for such a service as both Bennett and Meninga would have given him sympathy.

Tone83

Juniors
Is it possible the knights are another toxic club like the raiders? I know he was going to maroons camp but he could be like depressed from being in newcastle and so when he gets away he overdoes the celebrations.

"Boom prop James Tamou was brushed from last weekend's two-day Origin camp at Homebush, partly because of his pre-season training in Townsville but also because he missed a crucial pre-Christmas meeting.
The Tamou incident shows that Blues coach Laurie Daley isn't afraid to make tough calls."

Lol this is a joke because tamou is turning out to be shit, it's not a tough call at all, Laurie no doubt jumped on the first chance to drop him.

1qaz

Juniors
Cry me a river ... he could have got permission for such a service as both Bennett and Meninga would have given him sympathy.

There must have been miscommunication between the three of them. Both Wayne and Mal weren't present for both days either. I will have to ask next time he comes up.
It's a shame really, he's been ripping it up during the pre season.
Jeremy Hickmans the Knights High Performance coach was asked recently on the Knights website any players that stood out, he made special mention of Dane killing it in the drills.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Jeremy Hickmans the Knights High Performance coach was asked recently on the Knights website any players that stood out, he made special mention of Dane killing it in the drills.

Admit it - you moistened your panties when you read that.

Joker's Wild

Coach
:lol:

Do yourself a favour and read some of elia/1qaz's rants in the Broncos forum.

You're so far off the mark it's almost not funny.

I have seen them mate. Funny stuff

However in this instance, regarding Hickman, he is correct that Dane has been excellent at Knights training and was all of last year. Whats also funny is that Dane only seems to get into "trouble" when he is in Brissy. Funnier still is your fellow Broncos supporters putting up the bullshit front of being happy he is not at the club. FFS one of them even compared him to Josh Dugan lol

The whole story was in, for all intents and purposes, an NRL "gossip" column. Bugger all facts but plenty of speculation about what really happened.

Snappy

Coach
Well whatever happened the coach deemed worthy enough to rule him out of Origin selection for this year. Not a light punishment considering he most likely would have made the squad.

Joker's Wild

Coach
True, I didnt see the follow up article to the original

Disappointing for Dane and strange that it deserved such a punishment but not much in the way of detail has been released. Usually this sort of stuff gets leaked to the media in a very short space of time