What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL wants to introduce a magic round, where every game is played at the one stadium

beads6

First Grade
Can these dickheads stop f**king around with everything except for the real issues. Put Origin on standalone weekends FFS.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
if they had a marathon two days with Sydney teams playing their low drawing interstate teams it would work.

Titans vs Panthers
Cowboys vs Sharks
Warriors vs Sea Eagles
Storm vs Dragons
Raiders vs Roosters
Broncos vs Rabbits
Knights vs Eels
Tigers vs Bulldogs (finish it off big on Sunday arvo)

I mean most of those games would draw less then 15k and this would give them a shot at better crowd.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Great idea. As for the interstate teams losing a home game. Just make sure that it is the Sydney teams home game. Besides why would you want to schedule say Bris v NQ, if Sydney were to host this event, which is where I would host it first off at least. The venue should be ANZ Stadium where there is a potential 80k crowd. An average of 20k per game.

Also this could help many Sydney team get a half decent crowd that normally struggle to get a crowd when hosting out of town teams. It should not be played during the SOO weekends though, all the stars need to be there and that is how it should be promoted.

If promoted right, I for one would love to go to a big day out carnival style RL all day extravaganza that is actually played for premiership points.

Four games in a day, big crowds, meat pie in one hand, beer in the other, girlies with pom poms, mascots duking it out, players blitzing themselves before me, my babe by my side, wind in my hair, I say bring it on brother, bring it on!!!

TheRam

Coach
if they had a marathon two days with Sydney teams playing their low drawing interstate teams it would work.

Titans vs Panthers
Cowboys vs Sharks
Warriors vs Sea Eagles
Storm vs Dragons
Raiders vs Roosters
Broncos vs Rabbits
Knights vs Dragons
Tigers vs Bulldogs (finish it off big on Sunday arvo)

I mean most of those games would draw less then 15k and this would give them a shot at better crowd.

Spot on champ, except where is Parra in all this?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Just because something works in the ESL doesn't mean it will work in the NRL. It would work better for them, not only for the popularity of the ESL, but because fans don't have to travel great distances to get there.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The only reason i would be happy to see this in Sydney is because it could be played at the Olympic Park.

They could run an entire festival within the precinct with over 80,000 people there.

If it was done well, a lot of people would probably show up just for the day and hang around outside.

Burwood

Bench
As a spectacle for the fans, I like the idea. But weren't the tv ratings for the finals series down last year because of the poor ratings from the double header match? What would the ratings be like if they were showing 8 hours of football each day?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Don't think it is neccessary and I agree with the earlier post that a round in the bush would benefit the game a lot more instead

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Spot on champ, except where is Parra in all this?

cheers. edited to correct.

here are games in Sydney from last year that are either horrible or average.

8,181 - Titans vs Panthers
9,029 - Cowboys vs Sea Eagles
12,183 - Warriors vs Sharks
5,288 - Storm vs Tigers
11,167 - Raiders vs Rabbits
13,047 - Broncos vs Roosters
9,742 - Knights vs Bulldogs (this game was in Mackay though)
8,910 - Eels vs Dragons
77,547 - total
9694 - average

a lot of these games had other issues going for them(weather, SoO, ect) so it isn't the best comparison but these attendances aren't a good look for the game. a magic weekend could double all these attendances so I don't get the negativity.

Paullyboy

Coach
I've been to the two past magic weekends and the two reasons it is a success don't exist in Australia:

1 - Supporters from all but one club can drive/train to the game with ease. Over here half the clubs are too far away.

2 - the banter between pommy supporters with the singing and cheering built the atmosphere brilliantly. I know many people here refuse to accept it, but Australians simply don't get into it in the same way as poms do. I'm not complaining, for a proper game you should be watching it, not dancing about - but for the magic weekend it helped kill all the boredom from two boring teams and built up a great Atmosphere for the big derby games.

1 If it's gonna happen stuff Friday and Monday (unless it's a public holiday) make it 4 games Saturday, 4 games Sunday.
2. Don't call it a 'Magic Weekend' what kind of shitty name is that.

pHyR3

Juniors
Can just imagine the ANZ stadium surface by the time the last game starts

it's pretty common for 3 grades of footy to be played at a ground in one day, you realise that right?

in fact, the tigers played 5 grades in a trial this year. I think it mighta been against the sharks.

U16s, 18s, 20s, NSW Cup and finally NRL. So, it was fine there with 5 games in a day. I'm sure 8 in 2 days shouldn't be a massive problem given they will have time to repair the ground between days.

pHyR3

Juniors
i like the idea, dont put it in SoO though (its very tempting but) and don't call it Magic Weekend.

Think of a good name, and put down traditionally poor rating games (as has been mentioned) with 4 on saturday and 4 on sunday.

also, screw TV ratings for the whole 8 hours. Do them game by game. Crowds look way better for TV anyway.

if the crowds are willing to come, go ahead and do it. i'll be there for sure!

unsure about melbourne, maybe move it around? start in Sydney, then Brissy then Melbourne then NZ.

LESStar58

Referee
How did Magic Weekend go when they had it in Edinburgh (Murrayfield Magic)?

I would love to have Melbourne Magic Weekend but they will probably just give it to Suncorp.

Latest posts