What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

0-2 where to from here?

Spot On

Coach
0-2 is dissapointing. No doubt about it.

But we haven't played against nuffy teams. IMO both will be playing finals footy this year and we were within minutes of beating both.

As much as it pains me to say I think Wesser should have just played his last game. We should politely ask him to retire and have a job offer ready for him because he's a genuinely good bloke who has given a lot to the game.

There have been positive signs. I've been impressed with Roy both weeks. He is our captain and has led from the front, he finished the year strongly in 2010 and has started strongly.

Sandow aswell, he has his share of critics but he's impressed me both weeks. His FG's both weeks should have been game winning fg's if we had our act together.

We have the Eels next friday night. Relatively easy opposition, this should be the round we turn our season around.

Mate, Sandow's kicking game was absolutely diabolical today. Kevin Moore must be pissing himself laughing that Barber wasn't put under the high ball today or made to return the ball more than four times. He was treated like Royalty. Absolutely attrocious.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Look at how the Bulldogs finished the game. Kept kicking the ball ingoal and trapping us there. The last couple of minutes they strangled us. If that was us we'd kick it dead and allow them to come back at us.:crazy:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Stats show if you lose your first two games, you have very little chance of making the finals, and bugger all chance of winning the big one.

I saw this inthe courier mail before the broncos played.

Just saying
Panthers in 03 lost their first 3 and won the comp. The bloke who coached them is our coach now.
Mate, Sandow's kicking game was absolutely diabolical today. Kevin Moore must be pissing himself laughing that Barber wasn't put under the high ball today or made to return the ball more than four times. He was treated like Royalty. Absolutely attrocious.
I agree that his kicking was poor but even with that he did enough to lead us to a win.

A #7's primary job is to help us score points. Both games we were ahead in the final minutes. I think if you're ahead after 70 minutes, there is no excuse to lose the game. If we had our act together as a team we would have won both so that's why I think it's unfair to blame Sandow. Was he perfect? No. Did he do enough to put us in a positon to win? Yes.

In round 1, we get that kickoff with 6-7 mins to go, we probably win. This week, we pretty much did everything wrong after the FG. If Inglis was our fb instead of Wesser, I think we'd have won today too.

Spot On

Coach
Panthers in 03 lost their first 3 and won the comp. The bloke who coached them is our coach now.

I agree that his kicking was poor but even with that he did enough to lead us to a win.

A #7's primary job is to help us score points. Both games we were ahead in the final minutes. I think if you're ahead after 70 minutes, there is no excuse to lose the game. If we had our act together as a team we would have won both so that's why I think it's unfair to blame Sandow. Was he perfect? No. Did he do enough to put us in a positon to win? Yes.

In round 1, we get that kickoff with 6-7 mins to go, we probably win. This week, we pretty much did everything wrong after the FG. If Inglis was our fb instead of Wesser, I think we'd have won today too.

Points often come from pressure built around a very smart kicking game. Sandow failed dismally in this area today. Kicking field goals two weeks in a row with more than ten miutes on the clock in pretty good conditions is also dumb. You will need a brick if they do that three weeks in a row and lose again.

Spot On

Coach
Look at how the Bulldogs finished the game. Kept kicking the ball ingoal and trapping us there. The last couple of minutes they strangled us. If that was us we'd kick it dead and allow them to come back at us.:crazy:

I'm gald to see someone else was watching the same game as me. South's kicking game needs an overhaul.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Interesting to note we are 2 for 6 in our last 6 games we have kicked field goals. The 2 wins were a blow out 41-6 over the dragons in last round 2009 and the last second field goal by max at the scg in 2009. My raiders supporting mate had also reminded me of a game we led the raiders 25-6 and lost 40-25. Think this was 2008.
We should have gone for a try instead of field goal with 13 to go. And should have went for a try instead of a penalty goal when up 6 zip in the first. I think this shows a lack of confidence in our offense.
Conversely the dogs were down by 1 and when wesser was penalized could have went ahead with a goal and went for the try and were rewarded.

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
We have to many dumb people in the team let alone dumb footballers. We lack the brain capacity to be competitive for long periods. I was convinced before the season started we would lose our first 3 games but now I'm worried it will be more than that. Simply we cannot tackle, we let in 28 against a team that threw little at us and did it through patience ans Idris having a fine game. Most Souths supporters won't be delusional like one person this forum proclaiming all sorts of stupidity as gospel. I don't know what can be done and yes we can make the eight but I have followed souths to long to actually believe it will turn around from here.

hindyrabbit

Juniors
on a positive note dave taylor and roy clearly were the best 2 palyers out there for us. if farrell holds a few passes we skip away. also on the field goals notice if we had of kicked conversions and been in front by 2 we probably would have gone for the tries as we had both defences on the back foot when they were kicked. something to look at for the coaching staff as to when they were kicked. also we only forced one line drop out when we spent alot of time attacking the line. poor kick options but we still have 22 games to play and we still haven't performed well. be optimistic and stay supporting this great club

hindyrabbit

Juniors
on a positive note dave taylor and roy clearly were the best 2 palyers out there for us. if farrell holds a few passes we skip away. also on the field goals notice if we had of kicked conversions and been in front by 2 we probably would have gone for the tries as we had both defences on the back foot when they were kicked. something to look at for the coaching staff as to when they were kicked. also we only forced one line drop out when we spent alot of time attacking the line. poor kick options but we still have 22 games to play and we still haven't performed well. be optimistic and stay supporting this great club

DC_fan

Coach
Where do we go from here?

Well we go to next Fiday night when we play the Eels. If we win our record will read 1-2.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
The frustrating thing for me is that in the 10 minutes prior to half time, I just KNOW that the Bunnies are going to let in points.

What's the deal with that?

On Wesser, it really is time for him to go. Every good thing he did was completely counteracted by mistakes that, I think, ultimately cost the Bunnies the game. He pulls off a great try saver, but then get binned. He was ALWAYS going to get binned. The refs had no other option. So, instead of saving a try, he gave them another set in the attacking zone and a numerical advantage for the rest of the game. If Wesser had missed that tackle, I think the Bunnies would have had a better chance of actually winning in the long run.

I also thought it was Crocker's best game for the Bunnies. Hopefully they get some value out of him this year.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I honestly think a change to the backline is 1 step towards getting a win. Wesser out, inglis to fullback, give it a trial, the worst that can happen is another loss. Vai vai into the centre, with the possibility of talanoa to the bench and Morgan or McQueen? To the wing. Opportunities given will bring more effort and commitment, and perhaps dropping players will put others on notice to lift their game.

Defence needs to be tighter too, and with greater match fitness, that defence will come. With that, the fitness regime needs to begin to punish the players. Make them hurt. Give em a feeling of how a supporter feels to watch them run around the park.:?

Stats show if you lose your first two games, you have very little chance of making the finals, and bugger all chance of winning the big one.

I saw this inthe courier mail before the broncos played.

Just saying

Saints loss there first two games in 1999 and made the GF. It can be done souths fans, you just need to retire Rhys Wesser... He has gone soft

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Your not going to get
You are not going to get an arguement out of me when you are so right.

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
We fail with so many simple facets of the game it's ridiculous, from defense to kicking and building pressure. We have horrible lateral movement and decision making in attack and defense it deplorable. 35 or so missed tackles to 15 when the opposition made more errors and tackles is shameful.

The frightening thing will be parra's halves are just as bad and will look like stars next Friday. I don't believe that we have the people that can follow a game plan let alone carry one out, it's either they are completely stupid or are just not listening to what the coach says and then again it may be just a sh*tty game plan to add on top of the rest.

Wesser has to go with Talanoa, we cannot cover the levels of ineptitude they reach each week. Then again until the defense improves all the chopping and changing won't matter.

liquor box

Juniors
I think we just have a poor attitude that is not under control. I think it was Sandows first kick he had a chance to tackle the Dogs fullback and possibly push him back over the line but chose to try a shoulder charge and he easily avoided the tackle. This lack of profesionalism plagues the club. Sandow need to be told to tackle properly, the crowd might like seeing a big shot, but it surely prefers wins on the board. We allow players to return from Christmas over weight and unfit, yet again a case of us not holding our staff and players to account.
We need to make tough decisions, John Sutton is my favourite player, but I am a realist and he will never win a premiership with Souths, we need a new Fullback, Halfback and 5/8 at a bare minimum and also need a coach who can use a bench rotation that allows us to keep some of our best talent on the field at all moments of the game, too often we have all of our starting pack off the field at the same time and leave ourself with backup and bench players and no leaders on the field. I would love to see our stats over the last 5 years of points conceded 10 minutes before half time when all of our starters are off. Why cant we bench one of the starters and bring them on at 20-25 minutes to spread the talent around.
I think it will be a long season of disappointment for the Bunnies, I hope I am wrong but the same attitude problems are still affecting our great club.

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
I think we just have a poor attitude that is not under control. I think it was Sandows first kick he had a chance to tackle the Dogs fullback and possibly push him back over the line but chose to try a shoulder charge and he easily avoided the tackle. This lack of profesionalism plagues the club. Sandow need to be told to tackle properly, the crowd might like seeing a big shot, but it surely prefers wins on the board. We allow players to return from Christmas over weight and unfit, yet again a case of us not holding our staff and players to account.
We need to make tough decisions, John Sutton is my favourite player, but I am a realist and he will never win a premiership with Souths, we need a new Fullback, Halfback and 5/8 at a bare minimum and also need a coach who can use a bench rotation that allows us to keep some of our best talent on the field at all moments of the game, too often we have all of our starting pack off the field at the same time and leave ourself with backup and bench players and no leaders on the field. I would love to see our stats over the last 5 years of points conceded 10 minutes before half time when all of our starters are off. Why cant we bench one of the starters and bring them on at 20-25 minutes to spread the talent around.
I think it will be a long season of disappointment for the Bunnies, I hope I am wrong but the same attitude problems are still affecting our great club.

Can't disagree with what you say, particularly with bench rotation. I think Stuart should come off the bench to keep the middle of the ruck tighter especially in the back end of the half, he so rarely misses a tackle and it's noticeable how bad we are up the middle when he goes off. Taylor probably needs to go onto the bech to give some impact because we have zero of it at the moment.

Engine

Juniors
First of all...I hate Souffs. But, there is one comment that keeps bugging me because of its stupidity. The idea of Inglis at fullback.

He is WAY too heave to play fullback. Imagine Inglis rushing to clean up a grubber. The Titanic would change course quicker.