What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08/09 :: R1 :: Jets 1 Mariners 1 @ EAS

Round 1 Result :: Jets vs Mariners

• Newcastle Jets

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Central Coast Mariners

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NK Arsenal

Juniors
ZURA HAS BEEN CLEARED TO PLAY!!!!

EDMUNDO = NUMERO UNO

Kiss this bitches

images

The Newcastle Jets’ Marquee player for the 2008/09 Hyundai A-League season, Edmundo Zura, has received clearance to play in tonight’s blockbuster Round 1 clash against local rivals the Central Coast Mariners.
With the formalities now in place, the path has been paved for the Ecuadorian international to make his Hyundai A-League debut in front of the Jets’ legion of fans. Capped 7 times by his country, and with an impressive goalscoring record in his homeland, Zura arrived in Australia to much excitement a fortnight ago.
Zura captained an Ecuadorian Under-20’s side to the 2007 Pan American Games title. It was a tournament that shot the young striker to fame as he scored 3 goals – including the match winning penalty in the Final – en-route to Ecuador’s first major football trophy.
The reigning Hyundai A-League Champions will now take the field this evening with a strike force that includes Zura and last season’s Johnny Warren Medallist and Golden Boot Winner, Joel Griffiths.
Jets Head coach, Gary van Egmond, has expressed his excitement about his Marquee signing being available for the season opener.
“Zura will start for sure and we look forward to him playing,” van Egmond said. “He gives us a real presence up front, he can hold the ball up and get in behind, he’s quick. So we think he can really be a benefit to the football team.
Club CEO, John Tsatsimas, today conveyed the Jets’ delight at having a player of Zura’s ability join the club ahead of the season kick-off.
“It’s obviously fantastic to have Zura ready to go for our first game of the season, particularly given that it is a derby at home in a Grand Final re-match. It’s a pleasure to have him here as part of our club.
“We’re certain that our fans will get a thrill out of seeing him take to the pitch at EnergyAustralia Stadium this evening.”

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/default.aspx?s=njfc_news_item&id=23221

Misanthrope

Staff member
For those outside of Australia/NZ who want to watch the game, http://bet365.com provides a free stream to registered members. It won't work for those of you in Australia or New Zealand - but it's perfect for people abroad like myself.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Newcastle looking a lot more slick in the second so far. Geez, Song is a classy player.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Central Coast winning this would be a bit of an injustice. Newcastle have been all over them for the entire half.

EDIT: Jesus, what a f**king farce

An alright match nevertheless.
Obviously you can tell I'm a Mariners fan, so I'm bloody happy to see a point go our way.
Kudos to Jets tonight. They're showing the doubters what they're still capable of.
Still worried about them for premiership matters.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Kudos to Jets tonight. They're showing the doubters what they're still capable of.
Still worried about them for premiership matters.

I think we showed tonight we have every chance of being even more dangerous this year. Griffiths is still there. Holland looks to be developing at an astounding rate. Song, Zura, our other international all look the goods. Song was outstanding tonight. Leagues ahead of his nearest competitor.

Knightmare

Coach
Would've been absolutely stoked to get the 3 points, but not all that bad considering the Mariners were under-strength and playing away. Augurs well for the season. As a side note, great game for Matty Simon to break his goal-scoring virginity :D

NK Arsenal

Juniors
About time Simon scored :lol:

:lol: @ the half-of-a-bay of Marinators

We should of won 3 or 4-nil but our finishing let us down

I scored myself a box last night...

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NK Arsenal, until you realise soccer is played ON THE FIELD, not in the stands, your cred is totally out the window. Last night was a good game, yet all you can find in your empty head is to rubbish on about the supporter groups. Get a clue.

Dragooner

Bench
Don't get me started NP. He was immense. Maso's can play with there eyes closed, showes Adam Griffiths how to play as a centre half. Great game from the youngster.