What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.25 billion

AuckMel

Bench
Far more than what I was expecting, but a fantastic deal all the same.

All games live on Foxtel, advertisement free which is a massive get.

On the down side Aussie Rules fans have now become like Rugby league fans where they now have to rely on Pay tv for their fix. 3 live games on 7, 1 delayed is good, but for the fanatic they'll need to find some extra cash to watch more games.

Fans of North Melbourne, the Bulldogs, Demons, Saints and maybe Hawthorn will probably be hardest hit here.

Aussie Rules finally goes head to head in NSW and QLD with Rugby league. That alone will be of huge interest.

All in all it's a huge deal. Hopefully junior footy will see plenty of it too.

In reality, it isn't much of a change from the current structure of TV rights.

4 FTA games again, the extra game goes to Foxtel

This time FTA gets live Fri N, live Sat N and live Sun, Sat arvo is still on delay.

Also all finals will be live, we've never had live Melb finals broadcast live into VIC unless there's a rare sellout (Coll prelim finals).

Much better outcome for FTA and much, much better outcome for Foxtel.

AFL keeps set full season fixture, no night grand final and no monday night football.

A big win for fans.

Big Mick

Referee
Far more than what I was expecting, but a fantastic deal all the same.Aussie Rules finally goes head to head in NSW and QLD with Rugby league. That alone will be of huge interest

It will be of great interest, particularly when in NSW and Brisbane it gets absolutely minimal ratings like it is getting now in the two dominant markets.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Be interesting to see if the crowds drop off now in the AFL states, no need to go to the games now.

They had a dedicated AFL Footy Channel on Fox years ago but it was removed after a year or so when the novelty of 24 hr AFL wore off, you can only have so many fillers and old games.

Big Mick

Referee
Hard to rate at midnight.

Sydney & Brisbane games shown live.

Swans get 80k, Lions get 100k in viewers.

You think Melbourne teams will rate better? lol.

And why should Sydney or Brisbane people care when all AFL people just disregard that another sport exists.

Even Melbourne games are shown past midnight in Melbourne. At least Sydney & Brisbane AFL games shown live into their respective states. The disrespect that NRL has among AFL brass is disgusting. And that's why that TV package is a waste of money. Noone is going to watch despite a shitload of promotion.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
One thing I'm jealous about is all games live on foxtel= all games live in hd. Ch 9 suck for not showing them in hd

Stormcap

Juniors
4 afl games live into nsw and qld compared to 1 nrl.

Just a matter of time til AFL is the no1 game everywhere i think.

Big Mick

Referee
4 afl games live into nsw and qld compared to 1 nrl.

Just a matter of time til AFL is the no1 game everywhere i think.

LOL

You are f**king dreaming.

80,000 viewers in Sydney, 100,000 viewers in brisbane and you honestly think its going to be the #1 game?

f**k me...you AFL supporter wankers are delusional.

clarency

Juniors
What I don't get is how they manage to make the connection between:
More airtime = More viewers.

People don't and stare at the tv, watching whatever is on the screen. They chose. If they haven't chosen to watch AFL when it already has more games to watch than NRL, then they aren't going to chose it under the new rights deal.

AFL landed themselves in a very good position financially, but to think this changes anything in regards to fan support... ... ...

Latest posts