What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 comebacks for telemarketers!

chileman

Coach
I'll be watching you
"I can't believe you got this number so quickly. I got out of prison yesterday. You know what I was in for? Selling telemarketers' personal information to people that do bad things to them. Can I get you to stay on the line for just about thirty five more seconds while this thing downloads your cubicle location and headset I.D.?" or "This call will be recorded for quality assurance."

You've reached Santaland
If you have caller ID, when you pick up the phone say, "Hello this is Buddy the elf." Then talk really fast so they can't understand you when you say, "Loser says what?"

Guess where you've called …
If you have caller ID, say, "Trixie's Call Girl Service. Press 'one' for an appointment. Press 'two' if you are seeking employment. Press 'three' if you are a law enforcement officer."

Sure, come on over
A reader from Sydney, Australia wrote about his revenge on a telemarketer selling aluminum siding.

"We were forever getting calls to clad (add siding to) our home. In the end, I was really cheesed off so under duress I made an appointment for a rep to come and give me a quote. When he arrived and found my home was of brick construction he virtually went through the roof, but on settling down he asked why I had accepted the offer of a quote. I said, being sick of calls from his company, I decided to accept their offer. That was the last call we had for aluminum cladding."

Another reader's father had a similar solution.
Looking for a better bank? Check for the best deal in your area.

"My dad once invited a guy out to the house to give an estimate on waterproofing the basement that my dad couldn't convince him we didn't have. When he asked my dad to show him the stairs to the basement, my dad took him outside to a hole in the backyard leading to the crawlspace and offered him a flashlight. The guy looked at my dad and said, 'But you don't have a basement,' to which my dad replied, 'That's what I've been trying to tell you!'"

Get your hands up
Interrupt them and demand to know how they got this number. Before they can reply, tell them to be quiet and listen. Tell them federal agents are en route to their location, and to follow your instructions to the letter if they want to avoid being shot. Tell them to shut down their computer and all other devices in their office, hang up and unplug the phone, then to kneel down in the middle of the room. They are then to cross their ankles and place their hands on their head and stay that way until the agents arrive. Then hang up.

Glad you called
"That offer sounds great. Is it dischargeable in bankruptcy?" or "Do you accept welfare checks?"

I know you
Cry out in surprise, "Judy? Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.

"This is she," he said
Another reader wrote in about an irksome problem he has with telemarketers.

"Because our home is under my partner's name, they almost always call asking for him. When I tell them he's not here, they then ask for 'Mrs.' I finally got brazen enough to reply, 'You're speaking to him. Now what can I do for you?'

"More times than not, they hang up, especially if it's a man calling. I guess the whole 'gay' thing makes some of them uncomfortable. Oh, well!"

You're on the air
"Caller number nine you're on the air. What would you like to hear?"

Poetry
One reader says a sure-fire way to get tele-blacklisted is to recite (bad) poetry.

"I am so glad you called, I just finished some poetry that I wanted to try out. I will be glad to listen to the rest of your call if you'll listen to my poem."

"Sometimes, in life, you find, that if you try, as you will and have before, you may be …" Fill in the rest with rambling nonsense for about a minute; then stop. When the telemarketer starts to talk, cut him off and start rambling again for another few minutes. Continue this as many times as is necessary until he hangs up.

If he is persistent, ask: "Did you like the poem?"

If he says yes, ask which part he liked the best. Demand specifics and comment on the emotional angst and spiritual juxtaposition of the part in question.
Looking for a better bank? Check for the best deal in your area.

Think you can do better?
If you think you have a better response, tell us about it by sending an e-mail to telemarketers@bankrate.com. Please keep it clean and avoid being overly cruel -- the point is to be funny, not vicious. If you can get the telemarketer to laugh with you, you get bonus points.

Remember, the best way to avoid these calls is to get on the Federal Trade Commission's Do Not Call Registry and report the companies that violate the law.

Rexxy

Coach
I like.

"Look I'll stop you there. I know you have a job to do, but I'll give it a miss this time. Thanks. Best of luck with it. It sounds like a great offer. Good night."

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I just hang up when they are mid-sentence when I do not know who it is.
My phone manners in general are bad.
If I have to say more than 5 words, I'll email you.

chileman

Coach
Ive been practicing making fax and modem noises ....nearly got it down pat! :p Otherwise, I just use the line "Hold onto the line.... my 3 year old wants to talk..." ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
I just tell them I work for a marketing company and ask what the product is. They can't get off the phone quick enough.

Good list.

I liked the one I heard from a Comedian where you ask the Telemarketer for their personal phone number so you can call them back when its convenient for you.

It works.

bubs

Juniors
A friend of my brothers had a sure fire way for getting rid of Jehovas Witnesses.
They came to his door one day, and the reply was "Hang on a sec, I know someone here who might be interested".
He returned to the front door with Monty. Monty is a bloody huge GREAT DANE. This thing was humongous.
The Jehova's Witnesses said "Okay were leaving" and they ran for the hills.

dead_possum

Juniors
My favourite way to get rid of telemarketers is

Can you call back in 30 minutes.

Short, simple, and they never call back.

My other favourite is

My time is valuable. My corporate rate is $150 per hour between the hours of 9am and 5pm Sydney time. My rate is $400 per hour outside those hours. Do you wish to continue this call because I'd like your billing details before we do.
Not only do they not want to continue the call but they get you scrubbed off the database as well.

My friends' neighours told the Jehovah's witnesses that my friends were gay. The Jehovahs never called at my friends' house again. Being thought gay, even when you're not, can have its benefits.

mullet

Juniors
dead_possum said:

this is true, althought i was being genuine when i said can u call back in the end they never did

dead_possum

Juniors
Yeah I found out by accident. I had things on the stove and there was going to be a fire if I didn't hang up. I didn't really care if they called back or not. When they didn't, I just filed it as a way of getting rid of them, saving face all round, not to mention the time saved.

Latest big waste of time was someone with the electicity company's database trying to get me to switch companies. They said they had green power but they couldn't answer any of my questions, like what method was used to generate it (is hydro really green?) or where (why support interstate power when as soon as it gets hot, they cut the link?).

SP

Bench
While i was at work, a telemarketer rang up in the middle of my radio show, trying to sell me mobiles, so i said, ''we'll be on air soon, so what song would you like to hear, do you want to go live or just let me announce it", then they hung up

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Mr Angry said:
I just hang up when they are mid-sentence when I do not know who it is.
Just want to point out to SpaceMonkey this a general rule for me, not just telemarketers.

Booyah

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Good list.

I liked the one I heard from a Comedian where you ask the Telemarketer for their personal phone number so you can call them back when its convenient for you.

It works.

Jerry Seinfeld. God that was damned funny.

Guy: I can't do that sir
Jerry: because I might call back at an inconvienient time?
Guy: Well... yeah...
Jerry: Well now you know how I feel - SLAM.

Hell Bitch

Juniors
mullet said:
dead_possum said:

this is true, althought i was being genuine when i said can u call back in the end they never did

I do this because they are always looking for dad, and dad's barely ever here so I tell them to ring back, they always do.

Latest posts