What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 meters

I take it all back, yes, keep play-the-ball. I'll never encourage us to trial a continuous live ruck ever again. But we need two refs in international matches though. #rugbyleague #SeaEagles

siv

First Grade
Unlimited tackle count too I believe and a 'no yard ruck'.....

Actually striking for the ball in the play the ball had the biggest effect

Ball would be kicked out of the play the ball area about 5m behind the dummy half in almost every tackle

So it was a scramble just to pick it up before you could begin any normal passing or running. Scrums actuall resulted in better backline running plays

Seems changes in the play the ball have had a big impact over the years

Mr Spock!

Referee
Actually striking for the ball in the play the ball had the biggest effect

Ball would be kicked out of the play the ball area about 5m behind the dummy half in almost every tackle

So it was a scramble just to pick it up before you could begin any normal passing or running. Scrums actuall resulted in better backline running plays

Seems changes in the play the ball have had a big impact over the years

The reason why you could strike for the ball was because it was unlimited tackle.....

siv

First Grade
The reason why you could strike for the ball was because it was unlimited tackle.....

No - it was because the play the ball was considered a mini scrum

The 1970s-80s striking for the ball was very civilized. It was more of a rake.

1950s striking was to boot it forward as the ball was dropping to the ground

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
No - it was because the play the ball was considered a mini scrum

The 1970s-80s striking for the ball was very civilized. It was more of a rake.

1950s striking was boot it as the ball was dropping to the ground
100% it's also the reason we have 2 markers.

juro

Bench
df8b9761fc94a41c4941d16c6b2256d71444822573.JPG

T-Boon

Coach
the answer is deeeep backlines

no even deeper than that

I agree. Deep backlines look good. Deep backlines spread the players out on the field in a way that made the game look better at the ground. A game looks bad live at the ground now because it is just two flat lines shuffling up and down the field almost like under 8s soccer.

I agree. Deep backlines look good. Deep backlines spread the players out on the field in a way that made the game look better at the ground. A game looks bad live at the ground now because it is just two flat lines shuffling up and down the field almost like under 8s soccer.
Well piss off & watch something else .
All you do is bitch & moan .
Are you related to Perth moaner?

My answer is to be a lot stricter on high tackles, yes there will be more off-loading, a good thing IMO, but to compensate reduce the defensive gap to 5m. And ban using the foot to play-the-ball. So you have to be on your feet to play-the-ball, and have to roll the ball back under one of your feet or knee, so your foot has to be on the inside of the ball, or behind your calf. You can't play the ball with a foot dangling on the outside of the ball.

siv

First Grade
In the play the ball

Pick the ball up 1m off the ground before playing backwards with your foot. Will stop players using the ball to get up. A tactic that has come about when stricking for the ball was stopped

Tap kicks should return to having the ball placed on the ground before you can tap it with your foot. Hate the thigh taps