What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$100m OP plan

shadow grinder

First Grade
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18724835%255E14823,00.html

PREMIER Steve Bracks is today expected to announce that works will begin on Melbourne's new $100 million sports stadium at Olympic Park.

The rectangular stadium, which will seat up to 25,000, will become the new home of NRL team Melbourne Storm and A-League club Melbourne Victory. The facilities will also be shared by AFL clubs Collingwood and Melbourne.
With work to begin almost immediately it is expected the stadium will be completed some time in 2008.

The Preacher

First Grade
It would be a lot cheaper to move them, lock, stock and barrell to the Central Coast and receive $8 to $10 million from the NRL.
Melbourne hasn't worked and wont work, how long do they persist in spending good money for SFA. I'm sure the taxpayers of Victoria are filthy about $100mill. being spent on a rectangular field in AFL heartland.

Bomber

Bench
I'm sure the taxpayers of Victoria are filthy about $100mill. being spent on a rectangular field in AFL heartland

How sure are you?

Have you asked all of them in person?

Do you have their names and addresses?

brooksy19

Bench
The Preacher said:
It would be a lot cheaper to move them, lock, stock and barrell to the Central Coast and receive $8 to $10 million from the NRL.
Melbourne hasn't worked and wont work, how long do they persist in spending good money for SFA. I'm sure the taxpayers of Victoria are filthy about $100mill. being spent on a rectangular field in AFL heartland.

Yes and lets give up on developing league in cities outside of NSW & QLD.

We should go back to the NSWRL days and not give the game a chance to shine on the World stage.

gaterooze

Bench
The Preacher said:
Melbourne hasn't worked

How so? They have uncovered some brilliant talent, won a permiership, and often get better crowds than the Roosters.

What yardstick are you using to say they've failed?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
It's also not like the stadium is being exclusively used for NRL anyway. I have never been there, but from all reports, it needs the work done anyway.

The Melbourne Storm are a must for the comp.

rabs

Staff member
this is a market that has to perservered with no matter how much it ends up costing News Limited, I for one think this stadium will make a dfifference to them getting bums on seats

aids

Bench
good on 'em
sharing the spotlight with soccer and afl might help with the coverage down in vic as well

JK

very well done!

I already enjoy the trip to melbourne to watch them play the dogs, now it will be at a world class stadium as well!

Brutus

Referee
The Preacher said:

But having a Central Coast team is just more of the same for the NRL. Money is finally being pumped into Melbourne in a big way with development of the game the major focus. The Vic government has also joined in which is great. Think of all the money the AFL pumped into Sydney to get it on the move.

A half-decent Melbourne franchise/team is far more valuable to the NRL than the bloody Central Coast. I agree with a Central Coast presence, but only if a Sydney team decides to relocate. We cannot afford to punt another expansion team.

Brutus

Referee
The Preacher said:
I'm sure the taxpayers of Victoria are filthy about $100mill. being spent on a rectangular field in AFL heartland.

Just like NSW taxpayers are filthy on the massive amount being spent on AFL facilites in Blacktown of all places - league heartland.

If Melbourne was the sporting capital everyone says it is than you'd think it would already have a high class rectangular field.

Danish

Referee
gaterooze said:
How so? They have uncovered some brilliant talent, won a permiership, and often get better crowds than the Roosters.

What yardstick are you using to say they've failed?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with every point bar that. Their home crowd averages tell otherwise

I prefer the falling down stands, standing terraces at each end and the dingy loos...it keeps the atmospeher real !!!...

The Preacher

First Grade
Well didn't I cop a bashing there. f**k me. Excuse me while I go to the first aid room to stop the bleeding from a multitude of stab wounds.
I still think having a side in Melbourne is bullsh*t.
Now wait 'til the bleeding has stopped before the hanging begins. :)

Hindyscrack

Bench
The Preacher said:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Nice post Genius

The Preacher said:
Well didn't I cop a bashing there. f**k me. Excuse me while I go to the first aid room to stop the bleeding from a multitude of stab wounds.
I still think having a side in Melbourne is bullsh*t.
Now wait 'til the bleeding has stopped before the hanging begins. :)

a#sshole...get ya head out of your a#ss:roll:

Carlito

Juniors
The figure announced today was $190 million, nearly double what people had forecasted.

ibeme

First Grade
So what happens in the mean-time? Will Olympic Park be usable whilst these changes take place?