What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$100m OP plan

New $190m soccer, rugby stadium for Vic

April 6, 2006 - 12:04PM

A new $190 million soccer and rugby league stadium will be built in Melbourne's Olympic Park precinct by 2009.
The new home for soccer club Melbourne Victory and rugby league team Melbourne Storm will seat 20,000 spectators and have the ability to increase capacity to 25,000 seats.
Victorian Premier Steve Bracks unveiled the futuristic rectangular design for the stadium on Thursday, saying it would provide the missing link in Melbourne's sports venues.
Current crowd sizes for rugby league and soccer reach between 10,000-15,000, he said.
"Given the increasing popularity of these football codes, we expect crowd sizes for soccer and rugby (league) to increase," he said.
"With this in mind, the stadium has been designed with sufficient capacity to increase seating."
The Victorian government will contribute $149 million to the project, with the remainder supplied by the venue trust and its tenants and suppliers.
The development means Collingwood and Melbourne AFL clubs will be given new training facilities at nearby ovals in Gosch's Paddock.
But Mr Bracks said the public would still be able to access nearby ovals and no parkland would be lost.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/New-190m-soccer-rugby-stadium-for-Vic/2006/04/06/1143916632447.html

ibeme

First Grade
The Preacher said:
Doesn't matter. They don't, and can't draw that many spectators.

The Bulldogs struggled to pull 8000 people to their home games at the Showground in the last two years that they played there, because it was a sh*t ground.

Likewise with Olympic Park. Their crowds will lift substantially with a new stadium. The money that league is now spending in Victoria will also result in a increase in numbers.

Balmain_Boy

Thanks Christ a concerted effort is now being put into making the Storm a success. I had problems with their inclusions if a serious attempt at establishing league in Melbourne wasn't bein made. Thankfully it now is and the Storm have my full support (off field anyway).

00002848-image.jpg

00002849-image.jpg

00002853-image.jpg

More pictures available:

http://www.mvfc.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=3741&pageid=71

Parraren

Bench
I'm all for cutting edge design and sh!t but does that stadium look like it has a massive intestinal bowel wrapped around it? #-o

JK

Considering that their average is over 8000 I guess you are mistaken.

And a tool.

JK

I hope that the stadium opens with the storm, not the victory. Then the extras wanting to see the place will boost our attendance.

aids

Bench
it looks english-ishy
pretty good
storm have always had a quality team, time for a quality ground.

the article says 25,000 where are you guys getting 8,000 from?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
I can see the Halftime entertainment will be "spot anything thats not a seat", it will be tough but sure that within 10mins the will find someone .......

aids

Bench
it's a good idea for soccer, union and league in the long run.
i'm all for it, and i'm glad the state government is as well

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
The Preacher said:
Doesn't matter. They don't, and can't draw that many spectators.

really?

because i remember 5-6 years ago some sydney teams were struggling to get 10,000 past the gates into their stadium and were averaging about 7000-8000 per game...

The Preacher

First Grade
ozzy_ozman said:
really?

because i remember 5-6 years ago some sydney teams were struggling to get 10,000 past the gates into their stadium and were averaging about 7000-8000 per game...

Who, Where and When, Ozzy ?????:?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
1993:

Balmain: averaged 6,920 at home
Cronulla: averaged 8,648 at home
Easts: averaged 10,578 at home
Penrith: averaged 9,463 at home
Souths: averaged 9,794 at home
Wests: averaged 7,055 at home

shadow grinder

First Grade
melbourne got the crowds...they were out in 98-00 but for some reason went away.....hopefully with a better ground and some form on field some more will come back and bring others too.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
The Preacher said:
Who, Where and When, Ozzy ?????:?

Bulldogs
remember the northern eagles?
Wests Tigers
Penrith
Cronulla

they were all struggling to get crowds into the stadium

The Preacher

First Grade
ozzy_ozman said:
really?

If 1993 is 5 or 6 years ago I give-up.