What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | R14 | Sat | Sea Eagles 24-4 Cowboys | Brookvale #nrlmancow

R14: MAN v NQL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
Have you ever in your life seen the second hit-up after the half-time being taken by a winger? No? Well we saw it clear as day last night from North Queensland. If there was one play which summed up our night it was that one.

To start, a big congratulations to Manly for a superb display of football. That side is running at full steam at present and there seem very few weaknesses across the park. They walked out onto Brookie last night with full confidence and it didn't waver for eighty minutes. Their halves are a revelation, a combination of toughness, skill and coolness. It was a difficult watch, but I can't begrudge them a thoroughly deserved win.

For North Queensland, there were very few positives, if any at all. It's hard to think of one area of the game where we were not completely outplayed. Perhaps some of the forwards can hold their head high. Bolton was good off the bench, as was Sims. But for the most part the boys were physically dominated. It was clear that we needed to win that battle to have a show in this game but they were never in it. Strength was a factor, we just weren't tough enough. Though Manly do look like physically the strongest side in the comp.

I still have grave concerns over Payne's ability to read a footy match. He takes some awful decisions in attack at times, sending players straight into awaiting defenders. This really stifled any attacking opportunities we had last night. There was never any time to get the play moving, and certainly not enough lateral movement of the ball close to the line.

Morgan had an unhappy time as well. As a player, his body language is terrible, he looked like he didn't even want to be out there. I don't have the fortune of watching the Toyota Cup, is that how he carries himself in that competition? Either way he's going to have to develop a little bit more belief in himself if he wants to carve out a career in first grade. To the credit of he and Ray Thompson though, both stood up well in defense up against relentless pressure from the Manly big boppas.

Truth be known, North Queensland have had a game like this coming. Recent weeks have seen us play in patches of dire football. When a side like manly puts their throat to your neck they're going to keep you in that funk for eighty minutes. My honest opinion is that even with Thurston we still would have been comfortably beaten. Let's just hope that we've now gotten that shitty performance out of our system now.

:clap:
Totally agree, and I still believe the Cowboys will be there abouts come late September, bring in Thurston / Scott / Tate / Tonga (maybe) they will still give it a good shake

beave

Coach
Knock back for mine Didgi.

it was a knock on mate, just because he was facing backwards doesn't make it alright.

But what goes around comes around, Manly got a dud call in the first game, we got a dud call in the 2nd.

How good is it though, that neither set of fans carry on like assclowns when there is rubbish calls by the refs?? I think a few fans of other clubs could take a leaf out of both Manly and Cowboys fans books............ sometimes :p

Daddycool

Juniors
Didn't see the game live but it turned out like I expected. Without Thurston the Cowboys struggled to create enough chances to convert the possesion their forwards earned into enough points to win.
However..... the 2011 Cowboys squad is the strongest in a while and barring injury will be tough to beat over the next 4 months. Manly are in a similar position and with Brett Stewart gaining in fitness and confidence each week....should finish the regular season comfortably in the top 4 as well.

Latest posts