What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R1 | Sun | Tigers* 17-16 Sharks | Leichhardt

Round 1 result: Tigers v Sharks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bench
Just saw it again. Maxwell says "it's a charge down, you're offside."

The man does not know the rules.
And you don't know when to STFU,the Raiders lost,get over it,and to the Sharkies fans,you can look forward to a very good year.

thommo4pm

Coach
Galloway had no advantage

Smiths pass to tupou for the first try was a mileforward

Thoughts on the ref's calls for your penalties before your first two try's?

Plenty on here thought your last try was from a forward pass also (I didn't think it was personally).

The advantage call is questionable also. That was a 50/50. I actually said in this thread at the time I thought it was a tough call on you guys.

super_coach

First Grade
The sharks are a gutsy football team but they really lack class, today they played a tiger team that really was way off their game and still could not put them away. The sharks will improve fifty percent as the year rolls on, the tiger will improve five hundred percent. Carney will make a difference but he can't do it on his own

Armageddon.

Juniors
Gareth Ellis would give Glen Stewart a run in the grub stakes. Whether he is making the tackle or taking a hit up he just can't stop dropping elbows, forearms and knees

Are you kidding? Ellis is a gentlemen.

And lol @ Sharks, they were just more shit than the Tigers were today.
Cracking game, hopefully when the conditions aren't so extreme Tigers will be able to play as they should. Sharkies tried their best but it still couldnt match the Tigers worst.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tigers to win at Leichhardt on the back of some dodgy refs decisions. Skeepe to have his first meltdown of the season.

That is an absolutely disgraceful call. Benji knocked on, and all the Sharks were onside due to the charge down.

f**king bullshit. You f**king merkin Maxwell. You f**king, f**king utter merkin.

What a load of f**king shit.

Is Jared Maxwell joining them on the lap of honour? What a disgusting way to finish the game. The Sharks were robbed blind by the most disgraceful of calls you will ever see.

etc etc

Frailty

First Grade
What a pack of condescending bunch of pricks the majority of Tigers fans are on here (Not all)...

Cronulla's best today couldn't match Tiger's worst? Go f**k yourselves you cheating merkins.

Armageddon.

Juniors
What a pack of condescending bunch of pricks the majority of Tigers fans are on here (Not all)...

Cronulla's best today couldn't match Tiger's worst? Go f**k yourselves you cheating merkins.

Its alright, there there. One day the sharks fans will know what its like to support a winning team and it will probably be sooner rather than later.

and by that I mean when they go bankrupt and their fans have to support someone else.

roboshark

Coach
Its alright, there there. One day the sharks fans will know what its like to support a winning team and it will probably be sooner rather than later.

and by that I mean when they go bankrupt and their fans have to support someone else.
Wtf is wrong with you. You clown

Are you kidding? Ellis is a gentlemen.

And lol @ Sharks, they were just more shit than the Tigers were today.
Cracking game, hopefully when the conditions aren't so extreme Tigers will be able to play as they should. Sharkies tried their best but it still couldnt match the Tigers worst.

There is always one complete farkwit to help make you realise you are normal. Thank armawanker appreciate your input. Nearly as much a confidence boost as reading bunniesman bullshyte.

Didgi

I was going to say oh, an arrogant merkin ruining it for Tigers fans, then I remembered most Tigers fans were already being arrogant merkins.

Armageddon.

Juniors
We lost today but you're still merged!

Ahhh well you enjoy your shitty unmerged team then. Whatever gets you through the day.

One team going at it for 45 years and have no premiership to show for it. What a legendary side. An empty trophy cabinet but it doesn't matter because they are the proud unmerged.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Thoughts on the ref's calls for your penalties before your first two try's?

Plenty on here thought your last try was from a forward pass also (I didn't think it was personally).

The advantage call is questionable also. That was a 50/50. I actually said in this thread at the time I thought it was a tough call on you guys.

first penalty was a penalty, ross had his hands all over the ball

second (galloways) penalty was a harsh call

both passes in ryans second try werent even questionable, they were backwards

Lmao. Bed time for you. Armagettin tired of your mentally challenged dribble and besides school for you tomorrow. Now stop making bunniesman look intelligent. Go to bed with your piccy of benji, have a toss and off to sleep with you

Ausguy

Coach
Ahhh well you enjoy your shitty unmerged team then. Whatever gets you through the day.

One team going at it for 45 years and have no premiership to show for it. What a legendary side. An empty trophy cabinet but it doesn't matter because they are the proud unmerged.

Why are you so angry after a win?

Do you have other issues in your life?

You are interesting.

MacDougall

First Grade
I don't really think my fellow Tigers fans are being arrogant merkins as much as defending the team from an onslaught of irrational hate. Maxwell is the worst ref in the comp but there were bad calls on both sides at critical moments. Blame the ref, not the team. I concur that in the end the pivotal call favoured us and honestly Sharkies have my sympathy. I have always liked the Sharks (probably because they never beat us) and for such a struggling club to go down like that is very unfair.

For the Tigers; Beau Ryan was great today and is underrated as ever. Woods, Bell, Fulton and Groat were stellar. Utai and Humble were also good. The rest underperformed. Our centres were dominated.

For the Sharks; I was very impressed with Jason Bukuya. Gibbs was good. Gallen was fantastic considering he was crook. Pomeroy and Best continue to prove how underrated they are. Gardner was dangerous. De Gois outplayed Farah again and Tagataese did some good things. It was a very even contest with the Sharks marginally the better side. Carney rose throughout the game and by the end looked like Dally M winning Carney.

Much to like about both sides and plenty to improve on, and honestly that's good for round 1. The Sharks proved a lot. Carney will be huge for them. The Tigers can look forward to their big name players improving immensely because not one of them stood up today. Marshall was under average. Farah did nothing. Blair looked to still be finding his feet. Ellis was good but not as good as usual. Moltzen was basically air.

wibble

Bench
Good wrap up MacDougall.

I try miserably to be unbiased when I watch a game, and I didn't like many of the calls, but I could see how the referee may have been correct on many. I thought the angles on Smith to Topou were too inconclusive to say forward, I thought the advantage was OK, I thought that De Gois was unlucky to be penalised for Galloway's poor play the ball, Gallen was stripped on the line (but it is a poor rule and teams shouldn't be penalised in that situation), the passes in the last try were OK (again the tv shots were not convincing that the passes were forward, and Ryan did so well it would have been cruel to deny it on those views), Utai was out, Tigers were offside charging down the Carney field goal shot, and Best did double move by the rules (though if the video ref says he would have awarded it, we can look forward to plenty more debates this year..). I can also see how an argument could be made against all of these.

The one that really annoyed me was the offside penalty after a charge down. The referee just got the rule wrong, and that is very poor. This is not the same as knowing the rule but seeing the situation differently from fans of the team that are penalised. To not know the rule or not follow it in a pressure situation was disgraceful. And it didn't cost the Sharks the game necessarily, but it may have.

As to the teams:

Ryan was great, and is definitely underrated, and Utai was solid. Humble looked the goods. Ellis was good, Farah looked dangerous at times but needs more, Tedescoe had a great start, poor kid, hope he is OK, Marshall was cool when it counted, Tigers were unlucky to lose two key players to injury. They also didn't play very well for much of the game, but the Sharks were way worse in the first half. But the Tigers showed they can score great tries under pressure, which has always been their trademark, and will carry them a long way.

Carney looked dangerous and looks to have solved several of the our issues from the last few years, which bodes well (poor attack on the line, and inneffective centres- Carney helped both). Gallen did well to even be out there, having been in hospital earlier this week, and the weather was terrible for league and a man who had been ill- BunniesMan is kidding to attack his efforts, he was great. Bakuya is already a Shark's fan favourite, but he again showed why. The prop rotation looks better.

The two worries for the Sharks (that have been poor for years, and hadn't improved) were the errors (Matt Wright WTF?) and the poor decision making under pressure (early try double movement stretch, kick at goal in last 5 mins, early field goal shot etc).

For Tigers fans to say the Tigers were poor (they were, and they were completely outplayed in the last half hour of regular time), but the Sharks were "near their best" with about 30% completions in the first half (not counting penalties and the try) is laughable. The Sharks could hardly have played a worse first half, and that is a real worry for them. I suspect some Tigers fans are a bit manic in their denial of the Tigers form and talking up the Sharks as close to their best as their team, the favourites for the premiership, just won in extra time (in controversial circumstances) against one of the wooden spoon favourites. Well there is lots of season left to properly judge the form of both teams.

But the good thing for the Sharks is how good they looked when they had a reasonable (not stellar, but good) completion rate in the second half.

Either side could easily have won, and a few different decisions or bounces of the ball or better execution (better goal kicking) could have given either side a more comfortable try or two win. That is usually the case in close games. Both sides showed good and and bad signs, and both will want to improve.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
great post and i agree with everything macdouggall says. from today there are more positives for the sharks then the tigers imo, its nearly a game you prefer to lose as hopefully the tigers would wake up to themselves a bit. i can really see the sharks making the 8 this year.

i dont understand where this tigers hate has come from, i havent seen arrogance from supporters at all, yes we are the media darlings but thats what happens when you play the brand of footy we do. the media loved us in 2006-2009 aswell and there was no hate from opposition fans. its purely that we are now a good team that we are hated by fans...not a bad thing either.

Latest posts