What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
I haven’t heard anything, just one of the Bears players on the weekend said that he had heard more news was coming but he hadn’t been told what.
Bears Chairman Daniel Dickson wasn’t at NSO on the weekend.
I think I am going down again this weekend and he should be there as it is Bears Legends Day.

View attachment 90520
Players are meat heads they have no idea lol
An 80 year old is going to move to another city to build a team?
hws moving from Brisbane back to Sydney to coach south’s

he was favourite for the png job before Perth got bumped up

Pippen94

First Grade
It won't be the Perth Jets.

‘Better spending time in the sun at Henson’: Singo, Jets quit Perth NRL bid​

July 2, 2024 — 7.45pm​
John “Singo” Singleton, a man so identifiable he is one of the few Australians known solely by his nickname, has withdrawn from a business case which linked his second-tier club, Newtown, with Perth in a bid to become the NRL’s 18th team.​
In a cryptic text from the US where he is on yet another get-fit holiday, the iconic Sydney businessman said, “Mate, Newtown out of Perth bid. Too many games being played by Norths and WA government.”​
Translation: the North Sydney Bears and the Western Australia government are using him and the Jets as a pawn in negotiating an outcome for their benefit.​
Singleton made preliminary overtures to business figures aimed at establishing a $30 million investment group, but it appears he has consigned it to the too-hard basket.​
Singo, a young 82, indicated he would prefer to avoid transcontinental travel every second week despite the lure of the team being called the Perth Jets.​
“Better spending time in the sun at Henson,” he declared, sending photos of a big crowd on a recent beer festival day at the Jets’ home ground.​
“We must avoid our Biden time,” he added – a reference to the failing cognitive capacities of the US president, and the possibility of the pressure of part-owning an NRL club contributing to similar decline.​
Still, sources close to the WA government insist a link between Perth and the Bears is no fait accompli, with the 1908 NSWRL foundation club believed to be aggressive in its demand for seats on the board, number of games at North Sydney Oval and capital injection.​
A source close to the Bears who spoke on the condition of anonymity denies this, claiming it was a negotiating tactic to diminish their bid, which has been widely reported to have the backing of ARLC chair Peter V’landys.​
“This thing moves at a mile a minute,” said a representative of the WA government, who listed three possible outcomes: Perth goes it alone; a Perth/Norths consortium wins or a change of heart by Singo resurrects a Perth/Jets coalition.​
A man with an acute radar for duplicity, Singo has issues with the veracity of the numbers of junior players, level of financial backing and TV viewers being touted by both the WA government and their preferred owner, Peter Cummins of Cash Converters.​
Singo also queries the size of the TV audience being spruiked in the west.​
“These days they are called eyeballs,” he said. “Do you count them as two eyeballs or one?”​

I told you there are major flaws with Perth. Good to see Mr Singleton has seen the light.

@Pippen94 @Wb1234 @Perth Red @shewi6

Biggest red flag is that there's only one local Perth bidder & they still need to raise the $30 million to get the thing off the ground. Surely among the near dozen applications there's a better deal for the NRL?!

Centy Coast

Juniors
No idea why the Jets were mentioned, yes they have a history but don't have the pathways that Bears have. They are only slightly better than a Perth standalone
This is exactly what I said, they have five contracted players in their NSW Cup Squad that aren’t connected with the Sharks and the a few junior teams in the South Sydney Juniors.
Bears Chairman Daniel Dickson said months ago at the Bears AGM that the Jets were not a threat.
Yet Perth Red said that he preferred the Newtown Jets partnership lol.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Despite what the peanut gallery says it's obvious that Perth are working to get a team. Part of that work is sounding out the jets.

Meanwhile, I've heard Wayne Bennett will be moving to London in 2045 to coach an NFL expansion team. He'll only be 95 so very sprightly.

Canard

Immortal
Biggest red flag is that there's only one local Perth bidder & they still need to raise the $30 million to get the thing off the ground. Surely among the near dozen applications there's a better deal for the NRL?!

How is that any different than the NZ bids? One is school teacher using AI art on a twitter account, and the other is a failed Sports Administrator who wants to "crowd fund".

Canard

Immortal
Despite what the peanut gallery says it's obvious that Perth are working to get a team. Part of that work is sounding out the jets.

Meanwhile, I've heard Wayne Bennett will be moving to London in 2045 to coach an NFL expansion team. He'll only be 95 so very sprightly.
Its amazing that despite not winning anything for over 15 seasons, for some reason the ONLY way to be successful in Rugby League is to hire Wayne Bennett.

Wb1234

Referee
Everybody seems to conveniently forget how Bennett performed at the Newcastle Knights.
Prelim final they played well in for a team that was useless before he came there

from Souths magpies, Canberra, broncos, dragons, Newcastle, Souths, Brisbane, dolphins

every single club he’s got them to finals (dolphins this year likely)

nobody has a record to match

and best maroons coach ever

Steel Saints

Juniors
Its amazing that despite not winning anything for over 15 seasons, for some reason the ONLY way to be successful in Rugby League is to hire Wayne Bennett.

He has become a "gun for hire" over the last 15 years, where he has coached five different clubs. Although to his credit, during that timeframe, he has taken three different clubs to a GF.

Problem for Bennett is that he doesn't stay long enough at a club anymore.

I would love for Bennett to go to Perth and be involved in the pathways, but he is getting on.

Canard

Immortal
He has become a "gun for hire" over the last 15 years, where he has coached five different clubs. Although to his credit, during that timeframe, he has taken three different clubs to a GF.

Problem for Bennett is that he doesn't stay long enough at a club anymore.

I would love for Bennett to go to Perth and be involved in the pathways, but he is getting on.
I don't think he is a "pathways" coach.

He is the guy you get when you have a talented side that needs to get "over the top".

It's such short term with him to, he has what? 2 seasons left in him?

MugaB

Coach
Players are meat heads they have no idea lol

hws moving from Brisbane back to Sydney to coach south’s

he was favourite for the png job before Perth got bumped up
Still is, apparently it's why the bid has been pushed aside for a year, to align with Bennets south contract ending, and other factors like adding more infrastructure

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I don't think he is a "pathways" coach.

He is the guy you get when you have a talented side that needs to get "over the top".

It's such short term with him to, he has what? 2 seasons left in him?
He'll coach till he dies... he isn't looking to retire, he has no vices, doesn't play golf etc, doesnt drink smoke, nothing, it just coaching, its all he does!!! everyday... he'll get taken off the field in a stretcher

Wb1234

Referee
Still is, apparently it's why the bid has been pushed aside for a year, to align with Bennets south contract ending, and other factors like adding more infrastructure
Maybe your right

even if he has a year off like he did at the dolphins to coach the qld cup side and get ready

Latest posts