What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News 18th man??

18th man or not

• Yes

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
What a complete and utter mess.

6 (or even 8) on the bench without increasing the number of interchanges used fixes the problem without any scope for grey area or rorting.

It makes so much more sense. It covers everything..

Now it's new rules upon new rules upon new rules... whats next?

Farce.

I was so happy with how the ARLC and PVL have managed everything since the start of the Covid carnage but now.... this stuff is starting to undo all the good work the NRL have (finally) shown the way on...

Roy & HG will have a field day with this...

t-ba

Post Whore
Not to mention the UK will fall in line with the NRL within 12 months anyway.

They always do.

It's a bizarre complaint. Of the three biggest sports in the World the only one with a relatively unified rulebook across the tiers is Football. Cricket literally has three distinct formats!

Wow we became an 18 man game just like that. So at some levels in the world RL is still a 15 man game, in SL its a 17 man game and in NRL its now an 18 man game. No wonder the game struggles to get legitimacy and traction in new countries!
or we could agree that one sport should have one set of rules.

NFL is one of the most watched sports in the world, yet it has many different rules to the CFL (Canadian Football). The NFL changed their rules to suit what they thought would make a better game, the CFL keep their rules because they like their rules better. Just like rugby league was started in England but is way more popular in Australia, their brand of football was started in Canada but is way more popular in the US.
Here's a vid to explain it for you, narrated by an Englishman no less.

kit66

Bench
More bs rules to turn the game into Rugby League Lite.

Before they add another bs rule they need to fix up the sh*t fight that is the HIA rulings. They need to make HIA for Head Injury Assessments only - that is only HEAD INJURIES, not torn pecs, twisted knees, corked thighs etc. They need to put their foot down on that because it's a joke at the moment. The next joke will be the way coaches exploit the 18th Man. People are saying " but some coaches will exploit the rule " but it won't be " some " one or two will do it and get away with it and it will be a free for all same as the HIA.

I'll keep watching the footy because I'm rusted on like a lot of people but geez they're making it hard to enjoy. A lot of games this year I've turned off by half time and I imagine younger fans or part time fans will start tuning out altogether.

Someguy

First Grade
Will be watching the Parra game with interest this weekend. Brad Arthur was the pioneer with the 18th minute HIA, no doubt he will have something planned for the 18th man

Danish

Referee
Wow we became an 18 man game just like that. So at some levels in the world RL is still a 15 man game, in SL its a 17 man game and in NRL its now an 18 man game. No wonder the game struggles to get legitimacy and traction in new countries!

yep if there is anything that turns off my interest in a new foreign sport it’s being unsure of the exact interchange rules

bileduct

Coach
What in the f**k?

There has to be a balancing act. Between mandatory player replacements after failed HIAs and speeding up the game to make it a more exciting product for viewers the game has become unbalanced and prone to blowouts. Sure, fatigue has always been part of the game, but with HIAs you've now got more people being removed from games than ever before, while the game is being played at a faster pace than ever before. In years gone by 95% of these guys that fail HIAs would have just played on. It's great that they can't do that anymore, but that doesn't mean new problems haven't been introduced.

Honestly, the NRL has no f**king idea. This new rule is just going to result in players faking injuries after being fouled just to unlock that 18th guy. Just increase the f**king bench to 6 instead of these convoluted rules that are going to cause controversy whenever they are invoked. Problem solved.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Everyday we get closer and closer to topball

Sticky had Hodgson at Apex for a little bit today before he got injured.

So whats the difference between Kikau hitting CNK with the shot that he did and a hypothetical one bad enough to get sent off ?

Because either way CNK still fails a HIA.... I dont understand the logic

skeepe

Immortal
Is that the only reason we could use our 18th man? The reckless high tackle from Kikau wasn’t put on report?

What bullshit.

billygilmore

Juniors
Sticky had Hodgson at Apex for a little bit today before he got injured.

So whats the difference between Kikau hitting CNK with the shot that he did and a hypothetical one bad enough to get sent off ?

Because either way CNK still fails a HIA.... I dont understand the logic

Soooo let's go with a 19th man ?

billygilmore

Juniors
We couldn't use the 18th man at all because Kikau wasn't sin binned or sent off

But i dont understand why this matters

To be honest mate I'm not really up to date with rule and just shit posting.

If the rule is you can't use an 18th man unless foul play then I agree, that's stupid

billygilmore

Juniors
Or he had to perform the same kind of head high tackle on three different blokes with the exact same result to unlock the 18th man.

This is how opposition coaches will exploit this rule, double agent players who's only mission is to go out and rip the heads of 4 opponents so the coach can then use his best player, a player that he would usually have selected in the 17 but because of this new rule he will select him as 18th man to take full advantage

nick87

Coach
Have to hand it the nrl
It’s pretty incredible that they could rush through a new rule and see the clear and obvious fault of the rule be exposed in the 3rd game after implementation

all you can do is doff the cap

the sooner we move to 6 man benches the better

typicalfan

Coach
18th man is just how long is a piece of string rule. Once teams start exploiting it there will be talk of a 19th man.

Latest posts