What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th team and New Concussion Rules

When there are 18 teams I wonder if there still will be 24 games played by all teams.

Currently with 17 teams there are 204 regular season games and if 18 teams there will be 216 games.

I wonder though if 22 games played by each team would be more appropriate especially with Category one compulsory stand down of 11 days - this would equate to 198 games.

The two less weeks of regular season games can be used for a bye week before the finals begin and a bye week before the grand final.

This would enable players ruled out of final regular season games to be available for finals if their teams make the finals ( i.e Category one Concussions ) and players ruled out of preliminary finals game to be available for the Grand Final should their teams make the GF ( i.e Category one Concussions).

Obviously the League will look at the additional 12 games when an 18 team comp for extra revenue from broadcast rights but do they wants teams playing finals and grand finals who are weakened by the absence of star and main players due to the concussion stand down rule.

AFL has a bye week before the finals and NFL a bye week before the Super bowl so it's not something new.

Of course broadcasters won't like the empty weekends of no football though

Will clubs also need larger NRL squads - currently up to 30 full NRL Contract players / 6 development contract players with clubs able to sign other players on extended bench contracts - $1000 a week and $3000 per NRL game.

Interested in other peoples views/suggestions

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
No need for the bye in the finals or at the end of the rounds, but dropping to 22 rounds makes sense. It gives each game more meaning

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are expanding to get more content to sell, won’t be reducing rounds.

I can see a 40 player roster when full reserve grade comes back in shortly. Move to a 6/8 man bench, free player swap for player going off with hia and not able to return.

my team lost 4 players to hia this week in SL. It’s getting very Impactful (no pun intended)

No need for the bye in the finals or at the end of the rounds, but dropping to 22 rounds makes sense. It gives each game more meaning

The league will need to look at it though.
They are expanding to get more content to sell, won’t be reducing rounds.

I can see a 40 player roster when full reserve grade comes back in shortly. Move to a 6/8 man bench, free player swap for player going off with hia and not able to return.

my team lost 4 players to hia this week in SL. It’s getting very Impactful (no pun intended)

They will need a fair whack of a rise in broadcast payments to afford 40 player Rosters - Minimum wage is $120k in 2023. 1.2 million increase in player wages per team if another 10 - 20.4 million for 17 teams

They could have a 4 player bench and 2 reserves to cover injuries not sure about 8 though - 4 bench and 4 reserves especially if some of the 4 reserves are not required - will need to rotate the reserves so they get game time in reserve grade if not getting game time in NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
The league will need to look at it though.

They will need a fair whack of a rise in broadcast payments to afford 40 player Rosters - Minimum wage is $120k in 2023. 1.2 million increase in player wages per team if another 10 - 20.4 million for 17 teams

They could have a 4 player bench and 2 reserves to cover injuries not sure about 8 though - 4 bench and 4 reserves especially if some of the 4 reserves are not required - will need to rotate the reserves so they get game time in reserve grade if not getting game time in NRL
Reality is clubs are already paying players in reserve grade not in the 36 man first team roster. The min wage is only for 30 players and the 6 development players are on a lot less. So 30 as is now and then ten reserve grade salaries, of which 6 are already in place. A 40 man squad should be enough for a first grade and reserve grade side with top up from the U19's into reserve grade.

siv

First Grade
TV rules

They are getting 27 weekends this year

I can see that growing to 28 weekends