What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th team still possible this tv deal

I would love to have your optimism Flippikat - an eventual 20 team competition with Perth, NZ 2 and Adelaide/Brisbane 3/Melbourne 2 et al would be perfect but I just don’t see it.
I cannot see Melbourne ever getting a second team. The Storm's success on the field has drawn support from proud Victorians who like to stick it to Sydneysiders. They've been adopted as everyone's second team behind their AwFuL club. A second NRL team wouldn't be successful on the field and would end up like the Hunter Mariners, as Storm fans would hate them and the rest of Victorians wouldn't care about RL enough to get behind a new team.

I think Adelaide and Perth have potential. Especially Perth. I don't think the ARLC has the desire to make a team work in Adelaide or Perth, but there's support from Perth's RL community that could get them over the line. I think the ARLC would consider Perth if enough businessmen from the Pirates stumped up $15m to $25m for a licence as insurance.

I don't see much interest for NZ 2. At least not from businessmen or the community. There is interest for Brisbane 3 and Perth.

God knows how things will work out. Our game never does the sensible thing.

flippikat

Bench
I don't see much interest for NZ 2. At least not from businessmen or the community. There is interest for Brisbane 3 and Perth.

That's the real kicker here - our bid (singular) for NZ2 has flown so far under the radar.. it has virtually no profile here, no fanfare, nothing but the odd interview snippet whenever an article about NRL expansion runs in the media.

As far as I know there's just the "Southern Orcas" bid which is aiming to be based in Wellington with the odd game in Christchurch.

Compared to the very public Perth bid nipping at the NRL's heels for nearly two decades, and it's a huge contrast.

I wonder.. *if* the NRL are set on NZ 2 as team 18, will they pick a pre-determined syndicate to set it up from the get-go, or throw it open & invite interested bidders to pitch (as per Brisbane 2)?

The latter scenario could be interesting.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think you're onto something there. Any inkling that the NRL is setting up a WA club, and Twiggy will kick into high gear.

I really do hope that NZ 2 *and* Perth is the secret plan.. and with the right planning & a staggered entry, depth should grow into it too (especially once the 2nd tier can run full seasons).

That also gives the best part of a decade before we look at team 20 - plenty of time for the Dolphins/Broncos/Titans rivalry to "bed in", if 20 is SE-Qld 4.. or for Adelaide to gear up towards entry.. or for any other location to get their bid together.
NZ before Perth makes sense if they are anticipating Perth not being able to produce their own players for a while. NZ2 will increase the player pool which will allow Perth to enter and not put the pressure on the talent levels that would be there if Perth entered first.

I tend to think that if we have North QLD, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Newcastle, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, NZ north and south islands represented at NRL level, Adelaide will kind of feel like they are 'missing out'. I know they are an AFL city and always will be, but cities also want to be taken seriously and if they are the biggest market in Aus & NZL without an NRL team (also without a RU team) it starts to reflect on them a little too. I'm not sure I explained that thought too well but the 'FOMO' factor could definitely propel an Adelaide bid if NZ South Island and Perth are #18 and # 19.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I cannot see Melbourne ever getting a second team. The Storm's success on the field has drawn support from proud Victorians who like to stick it to Sydneysiders. They've been adopted as everyone's second team behind their AwFuL club. A second NRL team wouldn't be successful on the field and would end up like the Hunter Mariners, as Storm fans would hate them and the rest of Victorians wouldn't care about RL enough to get behind a new team.

I think Adelaide and Perth have potential. Especially Perth. I don't think the ARLC has the desire to make a team work in Adelaide or Perth, but there's support from Perth's RL community that could get them over the line. I think the ARLC would consider Perth if enough businessmen from the Pirates stumped up $15m to $25m for a licence as insurance.

I tend to agree mate, I think one team in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne is fine for our game as it galvanises RL fans and the general sporting public behind one club in those cities and our heartlands of NSW, QLD and NZ have their rivalry games that drives the heart of the sport.

flippikat

Bench
I tend to think that if we have North QLD, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Newcastle, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, NZ north and south islands represented at NRL level, Adelaide will kind of feel like they are 'missing out'. I know they are an AFL city and always will be, but cities also want to be taken seriously and if they are the biggest market in Aus & NZL without an NRL team (also without a RU team) it starts to reflect on them a little too. I'm not sure I explained that thought too well but the 'FOMO' factor could definitely propel an Adelaide bid if NZ South Island and Perth are #18 and # 19.
Good point, and if NZ 2 and Perth are added, it definitely adds to the "Gotta get 'em all!" sentiment in Adelaide (apologies any Pokémon fans hehehe).

An interesting development to see is Tasmania getting an NBL team - between the Basketball & Big Bash cricket Tasmania has the summer sports covered-off well - and I imagine there may be a renewed push for them to get into at least one of the big winter leagues. (I suspect Netball might be the first there, believe it or not).

What are your thoughts on whether the NRL should just choose a NZ 2 syndicate from the get-go, or open NZ up to competing bids like they did with Brisbane 2?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Good point, and if NZ 2 and Perth are added, it definitely adds to the "Gotta get 'em all!" sentiment in Adelaide (apologies any Pokémon fans hehehe).

An interesting development to see is Tasmania getting an NBL team - between the Basketball & Big Bash cricket Tasmania has the summer sports covered-off well - and I imagine there may be a renewed push for them to get into at least one of the big winter leagues. (I suspect Netball might be the first there, believe it or not).

What are your thoughts on whether the NRL should just choose a NZ 2 syndicate from the get-go, or open NZ up to competing bids like they did with Brisbane 2?
I agree with you that it will be very interesting to see which way they approach NZ2. Opening up to bids could see some good ones come out of the woodwork, but I personally think they are going to set it up themselves with the support of the NZRL and the financial backing of NZTV money.

You would imagine that a second NZ team would see another nice bump in the NZ TV money (it's not going to double but it will be enough to pay the grant and probably help with setup costs). Then you will get a good bump from Australian TV because of the extra game. This will allow the NRL to do a couple of things...

1. Give the existing clubs a little extra money to stop them whinging about pouring money into a new startup (we shouldn't have to do this but it is reality)

2. Have a pool of new money to the game that can be dedicated to supporting the club in it's early years.

Once the club is established the game will see the flow on benefits of:

- Significant, ongoing NZ TV money that not only pays for the NZ clubs but also produces value over and above their funding for the game to share. Also when added to the Aus deal has the added benefit of giving us the bragging rights of a higher total broadcast rights deal than the AFL

- Increased access to the world class NZ 'Rugby' player talent pool to help with the production line of talent for all clubs

- Strengthen the Kiwis significantly in talent and profile. Let's be honest, everyone likes to bag the NRL and say they don't care about the international game but if there was a Kiwi, Tongan, Samoan and English side in existence that had the Kangaroos staring at a potential 50/50 prospect of beating them on any given occasion, that is an international game that can be monetised and the NRL would definitely be trotting out the Kangaroos at every given opportunity. They love the dollars. I mention the Kiwis profile because if they were regularly beating up on the Kangaroos, I'm sure you would agree that is something you and your countrymen would be all over.

Last edited:
Just a shit stirrer he his... has bugger all knowledge about geography, and only thinks in the best interests of easts before anyone else... a true eastern suburbs toff
mmm coming from someone who says Newcastle lines up with Perth so they are both north-even showed how it would take 34 days to walk from Newcastle to Perth and oh NZ lines up with Melbourne.

Was actually calling you that c**k for brains..
All The travel talk and outlining each clubs specific arrangement to suit the narritive that and interstate/regional only conference works coz it's not much different than it is today.... please keep on being a bondi luvin fkwit... all you talk for this conference system is to keep the sydney teams strong and ontop as the status quo, also thinking the dirty cheating rorters run by that dirty deal making politis prik are going to remain ahead of that pack is laughable... if there was criteria these days roosters would be the 1st cab off the rank.. either merged or shipped off to Adelaide permanently.. due to fk all juniors, no catchment, and bugger all supporters
Always know when your besting someone as they have to resort to kindy insults - keep following your Piffies-

You don't know Uncle Nick obviously a Top Fellow- pretty poor to accuse him and the club of such things - there are laws against this - be mindful of this before you post such unfounded accusation.

Well for all those juniors you have only 3 comps to show for it - it's not quantity it's quality

Colk

First Grade

You got to buy it, you got to buy it Chinpokemon

Colk

First Grade
Always know when your besting someone as they have to resort to kindy insults - keep following your Piffies-

You don't know Uncle Nick obviously a Top Fellow- pretty poor to accuse him and the club of such things - there are laws against this - be mindful of this before you post such unfounded accusation.

Well for all those juniors you have only 3 comps to show for it - it's not quantity it's quality

Yeah yeah everything is above board with the Roosters. Essentially there is no transparency with the salary cap but that is another debate entirely

Colk

First Grade
I agree with you that it will be very interesting to see which way they approach NZ2. Opening up to bids could see some good ones come out of the woodwork, but I personally think they are going to set it up themselves with the support of the NZRL and the financial backing of NZTV money.

You would imagine that a second NZ team would see another nice bump in the NZ TV money (it's not going to double but it will be enough to pay the grant and probably help with setup costs). Then you will get a good bump from Australian TV because of the extra game. This will allow the NRL to do a couple of things...

1. Give the existing clubs a little extra money to stop them whinging about pouring money into a new startup (we shouldn't have to do this but it is reality)

2. Have a pool of money new money to the game that can be dedicated to supporting the club in it's early years.

Once the club is established the game will see the flow on benefits of:

- Significant, ongoing NZ TV money that not only pays for the NZ clubs but also produces value over and above their funding for the game to share. Also when added to the Aus deal has the added benefit of giving us the bragging rights of a higher total broadcast rights deal than the AFL

- Increased access to the world class NZ 'Rugby' player talent pool to help with the production line of talent for all clubs

- Strengthen the Kiwis significantly in talent and profile. Let's be honest, everyone likes to bag the NRL and say they don't care about the international game but if there was a Kiwi, Tongan, Samoan and English side in existence that had the Kangaroos staring at a potential 50/50 prospect of beating them on any given occasion, that is an international game that can be monetised and the NRL would definitely be trotting out the Kangaroos at every given opportunity. They love the dollars. I mention the Kiwis profile because if they were regularly beating up on the Kiwis, I'm sure you would agree that is something you and your countrymen would be all over.

That would definitely go against type to for the NRL to set it up themselves - probably should have done that with the second Brisbane side.

If they do it this way, do you think they will go with a South Island side or with a second Auckland side. Each option has its advantages/drawbacks

Colk

First Grade
I tend to agree mate, I think one team in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne is fine for our game as it galvanises RL fans and the general sporting public behind one club in those cities and our heartlands of NSW, QLD and NZ have their rivalry games that drives the heart of the sport.

You are right in the short term. One thing I would add is that Melbourne is growing faster than Sydney (projected population 8 million by 2050) Some of that current is coming from people moving down from northern states in particular (better house prices than Sydney and equitable money) There may be an opportunity to tap into that growth in the long term (I’m talking about more than 20 years in the future though)

The same goes with Perth - a lot of people from the eastern states have moved across there for work and lifestyle so a team would obviously have enough support - that would be something that should happen now or in the near future

People need to stop thinking about rusted on states or markets nowadays - people in corporate or other high paying jobs constantly move so the idea of people staying in one area their whole lives has long since past.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You are right in the short term. One thing I would add is that Melbourne is growing faster than Sydney (projected population 8 million by 2050) Some of that current is coming from people moving down from northern states in particular (better house prices than Sydney and equitable money) There may be an opportunity to tap into that growth in the long term (I’m talking about more than 20 years in the future though)

The same goes with Perth - a lot of people from the eastern states have moved across there for work and lifestyle so a team would obviously have enough support - that would be something that should happen now or in the near future

People need to stop thinking about rusted on states or markets nowadays - people in corporate or other high paying jobs constantly move so the idea of people staying in one area their whole lives has long since past.
Yes, some good points there.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That would definitely go against type to for the NRL to set it up themselves - probably should have done that with the second Brisbane side.

If they do it this way, do you think they will go with a South Island side or with a second Auckland side. Each option has its advantages/drawbacks
I agree, it would definitely go against the trend if they were to set it up themselves. The only part of me that thinks it is possible is because they have no extremely compelling bids (yet, they haven't officially called for them of course) and no sugar daddies lining up to back a bid (again, could change if they call for bids). But they seem to have a good relationship with NZTV and may see that as an opportunity to back their ambition for a second NZ side.

Yeah yeah everything is above board with the Roosters. Essentially there is no transparency with the salary cap but that is another debate entirely
You can think whatever but when put it writing you need to back it up - obviously you can't

What about there being no transparency? Well there isn’t it
Do you know what a player at any club earns though - it's only speculation what any player is being paid unless you see the actual contract which wont be happening any time soon if at all