What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1990 Grand Final on Fox

ManlyFan07

Juniors
I watched the first half of the 1990 Grand Final (Raiders v Penrith) on Fox after the Manly v Cowboys game and the thing that struck me the most was how QUICK the play the balls were.

Tacklers would make a tackle and then get off as fast as they could to get back in position as marker (most tackles only had 1 or 2 defenders).

Obviously, with the defence only having to get back 5m, not the current 10m, there was less imperative to slow the play the ball down to give you defence time to set, but still, it was nice to not have to watch the "wrestle on the ground" that we have to put up with now.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It was a great game.

Stuart and Alexander were at their best and played some remarkable footy.

It always amazes me the way Fittler played in that game as a teenager. It sucks that Clydie was injured for that one.

Azkatro

First Grade
On his day Ricky Stuart had the ball on a string. He was up there with Wally when it came to having a supreme kicking game.

The thing I noticed was that even as early as 1990 Billy Harrigan was forcing 10m for the most part anyway, which was just a reminder that the eventual rule change was a mere formality at the time it happened.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
bluesbreaker said:
Johns' kicking game was better than Wallys and Stickys.

Johns never had to deal with a leather ball. Talking synthetics IMO Stuart was a better kicker anyways.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
i always thought Clyde got two in a row, 90 and 91 (which is bullsh*t, there were 5 Penrith players better than him that game, the best being Simmons)

Mr Saab

Referee
dontmakemeangry said:
i always thought Clyde got two in a row, 90 and 91 (which is bullsh*t, there were 5 Penrith players better than him that game, the best being Simmons)

He did his knee in 1990 and also missed the Roo tour that yr.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
He has enough Clive Churchill medals!
(best lock of the past 20 yrs without question)

What year did Clyde get his?

Agree about the best in last 20, in fact i reckon best lock ever besides Raper!

Mr Saab

Referee
dontmakemeangry said:
What year did Clyde get his?

Agree about the best in last 20, in fact i reckon best lock ever besides Raper!

Tough call, there are other names like Ray Price and Ron Coote since the days of Chook Raper.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Ray Price was awesome, never seen Raper play. I followed Clyde's whole career so it's easy for me to say he was the best.

Anyone know if he is the only one to win the CC on a losing side?

mongoose

Coach
Walt Flanigan said:
Ray Price was awesome, never seen Raper play. I followed Clyde's whole career so it's easy for me to say he was the best.

Anyone know if he is the only one to win the CC on a losing side?

brad mackay - 93

Latest posts