What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ASHES TEST: @ Edgbaston, Birmingham June 16-20, 2023

bazza

Immortal
Not Baz et al's style to second guess decisions, but surely Bairstow either plays as a bat ahead of one of the top three, or doesn't play - his keeping is one key factor in this test
don't think he gets in the side as a batter only unless he is pushed to opener

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You can put more pressure on without being headless and just bending over, you know?

Day one, bowling fifth stump, we had a deep mid-wicket and a deep square for Patty at one point. Why? What's the strategy?

Fair enough have a rider on the off side the way they're batting. But with that line and length, let them try and get it out there. There no use having that defensive field to that line and it allows them to move around the crease and work the ball there with no risk.

We gave Root, the one guy in this team who won't get antsy when he doesn't get a boundary for a dozen balls, free rein to late cut. That's literally his get going shot and we said "here you go son, have a free run every ball." What's the plan there? At least have you third on the circle and make him take a risk or change his approach
Exactly, we set fields for bad bowling. Sweepers both sides of the field with a new ball and one slip?? That’s not going to trouble anyone now matter who is bowling. Half the time it was hard to see how we were trying to get a wicket.

bazza

Immortal
Exactly, we set fields for bad bowling. Sweepers both sides of the field with a new ball and one slip?? That’s not going to trouble anyone now matter who is bowling. Half the time it was hard to see how we were trying to get a wicket.
same way you get wickets in park cricket - just keep bowling till the batter gets themselves out

worked perfectly to get rid of Root and Brook. The ball that got Pope was just a fluke

gUt

Coach
I am no master tactician but early on when Root was playing that reverse ramp shot, they put a bloke back there to stop it. Wouldn't you want the merkin to keep playing that risky shot? Wouldn't you also try to keep him honest with a few aimed at his helmet? Instead, Patty capitulated.

JJ

Immortal
don't think he gets in the side as a batter only unless he is pushed to opener
yeah, probably, and their top 3 are not great tbh - he was terrific in the early Bazball days, then broke his leg playing golf, I think WTF... Brooks made that spot his - just don't think you can tolerate keeping that ordinary in tests, especially with Foakes and Buttler around.... that said, if he's made a blazing century it wouldn't be discussed... swings and roundabouts, perhaps

TheParraboy

Staff member
Only need 40 each from those 4 and scrouge another 14 runs from Extras & Boland.

Do it with 4 wickets to spare and the boys can head off to pub just before tea.

Will go deep (hope so) after tea

Expect rain to ruin a lot/most of session 1 today

Bazal

Post Whore
I am no master tactician but early on when Root was playing that reverse ramp shot, they put a bloke back there to stop it. Wouldn't you want the merkin to keep playing that risky shot? Wouldn't you also try to keep him honest with a few aimed at his helmet? Instead, Patty capitulated.

100%. That shot came from the lack of pressure. It's impossible not to premeditate so if he was worries about getting one in the grill he doesn't put himself in that position

Fangs

Coach
Test is set up very nicely, despite some extremely questionable decisions by both captains. Hanse Cronje couldn't even conjure up some of the crap we have seen in this test.

I'll back us to win.

bazza

Immortal
I think one of the biggest issues was that Hazlewood wasn't on the field to bowl at the start of the day - so had to bowl Boland. Maybe Green could have rushed him more

Don't think they should be picking any bowler that isn't 100%

bazza

Immortal
yeah, probably, and their top 3 are not great tbh - he was terrific in the early Bazball days, then broke his leg playing golf, I think WTF... Brooks made that spot his - just don't think you can tolerate keeping that ordinary in tests, especially with Foakes and Buttler around.... that said, if he's made a blazing century it wouldn't be discussed... swings and roundabouts, perhaps
wondering if that leg injury made his keeping even worse - and don't think he has the runs on the board to push out Pope

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I've got no issue with that fielder as Root was hitting it in the air (probably the only way you can hit it) and so was a catching opportunity. It's the fielders in the deep to stop singles that is the defensive mindset.

Which is probably coming from McDerp as well as Greta.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
same way you get wickets in park cricket - just keep bowling till the batter gets themselves out

worked perfectly to get rid of Root and Brook. The ball that got Pope was just a fluke
Lol same way as park cricket, seriously???

This isn't park cricket our attack is supposed the best in world cricket ffs Surely they are accurate enough to set fields for one side of the wicket?? Just wait for them to make a mistake. That worked great in the first innings with Root.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The problem with hitting people in the grill is that there's a limit on short pitched bowling. The poms know that and so are charging because once one has been bowled to you you know there isn't another coming.

Unless you've got a genuine feather ruffler or a pitch with a bit of spice these McCullum clones will keep doing it because the risk is minimal within the current rules.

Starc is out of firm but he's our one bowler who can give some chin to these pretenders.

bazza

Immortal
Lol same way as park cricket, seriously???

This isn't park cricket our attack is supposed the best in world cricket ffs Surely they are accurate enough to set fields for one side of the wicket?? Just wait for them to make a mistake. That worked great in the first innings with Root.
I thought we were using our experience winning the B2 premiership in 2013 to critique professional cricket players

bazza

Immortal
The problem with hitting people in the grill is that there's a limit on short pitched bowling. The poms know that and so are charging because once one has been bowled to you you know there isn't another coming.

Unless you've got a genuine feather ruffler or a pitch with a bit of spice these McCullum clones will keep doing it because the risk is minimal within the current rules.

Starc is out of firm but he's our one bowler who can give some chin to these pretenders.
yeah - the poms used short pitched tactics to get rid of the Australian tail pretty cheaply - though they bowl so slow that you couldn't consider it dangerous bowling

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
yeah - the poms used short pitched tactics to get rid of the Australian tail pretty cheaply - though they bowl so slow that you couldn't consider it dangerous bowling
I've got to say our tail is poor at tge moment. A consequence of so much limited over cricket, especially t20, where you're chances of getting a bat, let alone seeing a short ball, are almost non existant for anyone below 7 in the order.

bazza

Immortal
I've got to say our tail is poor at tge moment. A consequence of so much limited over cricket, especially t20, where you're chances of getting a bat, let alone seeing a short ball, are almost non existant for anyone below 7 in the order.
Lyon went down swinging and Boland just dollied one up. The fast bowlers are all 6 foot plus so they shouldn't play at anything that is near there body from the English powder puffs as it won't be hitting their stumps

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I thought we were using our experience winning the B2 premiership in 2013 to critique professional cricket players
You have no idea what level of cricket I played at, or coached at. Maybe you can wait for me to make a mistake like Greta and the boys??

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Lyon went down swinging and Boland just dollied one up. The fast bowlers are all 6 foot plus so they shouldn't play at anything that is near there body from the English powder puffs as it won't be hitting their stumps
That's easier to say then do.

Latest posts